Chain Lube

Has anyone used the Walmart Dupont brand chain cleaner & wax based chain lube ? I bought a couple cans , & seams ok but you don't see the white film on the chain like some other brands of lube . I wounder if it is doing its job ?

Been using DuPont chain saver for years. Quick spray after every ride is all I do.

I like it since it has zero sling off after it dries, hence the after ride application.

• Thumbsup 3

12 hours ago, Bob K said:

Has anyone used the Walmart Dupont brand chain cleaner & wax based chain lube ? I bought a couple cans , & seams ok but you don't see the white film on the chain like some other brands of lube . I wounder if it is doing its job ?

That's what I've been using for the last few thousand miles. Seems OK to me. Not sticky once dry so it doesn't attract dirt and doesn't fling too bad if you wipe off excess when you're done. I plan to keep using it.

1e14cf37-5edf-4167-8319-a6dcc82a521d_1.c

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, jetpilot5 said:

That's what I've been using for the last few thousand miles. Seems OK to me. Not sticky once dry so it doesn't attract dirt and doesn't fling too bad if you wipe off excess when you're done. I plan to keep using it.

1e14cf37-5edf-4167-8319-a6dcc82a521d_1.c

++1

Motul chain paste but more of a PITA to apply and fling off.

Still debating on a new chain oiler after the Lubeman fiasco

Now leaning toward another Scot Oiler..

That Dupont stuff has a great following and is highly rated in other forums I've been on. I've switched to using Motul as it doesn't make a mess, and is easy to travel with on the longer trips I do. Fortnine did a great review of things and showed the Motul was not the best at anything, but was not bad at anything. It was overall the most consistently rated on the system he used. Gear oil was a nightmare for me on the Tracer and my other default has been Honda Pro Moly Chain Lube, which is great stuff, but not as compact to travel with, so I've gone to Motul. 

Wonder if my chain talks to my motor in French? Motul to Motul? Bonjour, comment ca va? 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!

But seriously...

I'm loving my ScottOiler but I'm almost out of the blue oil that came with it. What's the consensus on replacement oil? It looks like I can get a 125ml bottle of the official ScottOiler stuff from my LBS for $7.99, but I think many people just use ATF or something similar. Thoughts?

I put that stuff on my chain, and when I took it to my local guy to get my inspection done he gave me quite a lecture and told me it was crap.  He showed me what he meant, there were some dry spots on the chain.  It doesn't seem to leave any sort of protective coating.  

I've used the old Dupoint stuff but have not used the new stuff.  Currently using Maxama fling resistant stuff and has been great.  Going with Motul for my upcoming trip as it's easier (I think).

• Premium Member

I like the lucas chain lube.  No fling if you wipe after application. Holds up well in the wet summers here in South Florida, and it doesn't attract dirt. 

Lucas Oil Lucas chain lubricant (autozone.com)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

19 hours ago, Jfundo said:

I put that stuff on my chain, and when I took it to my local guy to get my inspection done he gave me quite a lecture and told me it was crap.  He showed me what he meant, there were some dry spots on the chain.  It doesn't seem to leave any sort of protective coating.  

He's mistaken, it's overall one of the best out there. I've logged miles and miles in the rain, never get a spot of rust on my chain using this stuff. I apply about every 400 miles, it's protecting better than folks realize without all the gunk and residue that others leave. I run a Tuturo oiler exclusively on my last bike , they work very well but a bit too messy for me.....yes I know how to use it. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

You convinced me to trust my own opinion more than others.  

^^see what I did there?  Anyway, I have a full can, I'll give it another shot next time I clean and re-lube.  

• Thumbsup 2