Aerostich review

Scoobydoo

Everything fine with Aerostich except good venting and that’s the main reason I prefer Klim. To me any riding gear without good venting options is useless. Textile, Gore-Tex or leather it doesn’t matter. Useless!

Edited by Rick123

On 6/17/2021 at 6:51 AM, Kemp said:

I would like a report back when you're riding in this weather. A lot of my riding is done in hot, humid southern summer conditions, and I would like to know how effective the venting is in these conditions.

I'm not sure how accurate the thermometer on the bike is but it went to 111°, when i got home the it was 107° so it probably wasnt far off. Anyway, it was freaking hot. I was surprised how well the suit did. At freeway speeds it did great , the underarm ventsbare perfect.  Since that part isn't protected from the wind, it flows really good from your sides and you can feel it going out the back  vent. The trick i found is that you lift your elbows slightly and it gets more air. When stopped it got hot but not terribly.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/18/2021 at 9:37 AM, keithu said:

In my experience the two piece Roadcrafter is waterproof but the one piece is not. Even with my newer R-3 I still experience the dreaded wet crotch in heavy rain, including last Sunday. This is never an issue with my 24 year old two piece Roadcrafter Classic. It's still waterproof after all these years.

With my old "waterproof" pants i would get the wet crotch as well. I found the solution is to pull up the material, basically making it look like you have an awkward boner lol that way the water doesnt pull up there. 

• Premium Member
On 6/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, Kemp said:

I would like a report back when you're riding in this weather. A lot of my riding is done in hot, humid southern summer conditions, and I would like to know how effective the venting is in these conditions.

I rode across Death valley 2 years ago in my 1 piece. 108 at 8am. It was hot but i unzipped down to my belly button and it wasn't that bad. We're riding back through there next month.

I live in SE TN and have 80K+ miles with the suit. It works and I wear it every time I ride. When i replace it it will be with the 2 piece. I have experienced the wet crotch in monsoon conditions and folks say the 2 piece is more waterproof.

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

13 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I rode across Death valley 2 years ago in my 1 piece. 108 at 8am. It was hot but i unzipped down to my belly button and it wasn't that bad. We're riding back through there next month.

I live in SE TN and have 80K+ miles with the suit. It works and I wear it every time I ride. When i replace it it will be with the 2 piece. I have experienced the wet crotch in monsoon conditions and folks say the 2 piece is more waterproof.

My 'stich has also seen lots and lots of Death Valley and other hot weather riding.  I never close the back vent.  I open and close the underarm vents as desired while riding.  With the underarm vents open, I lift my elbows (think dirt bike riding position) and the air flows right through.  Is it perfect? Absolutely not.  Is it adequate?  Yes.

Aerostich waterproofness is... variable and debatable. Their pants and suits have shriveled a lot of scrotums.

To be fair, I don't think anything aside from a seamless latex onesie is going to prove reliable against the crotch puddle that builds up in heavy rain. One of the unsung benefit of a beaded seat cover is that it allows water to drain easily, and thus gives your gear a decent shot at keeping the goolies snug.

One of the talents involved in rain riding is arranging and using your gear so that you have the best chance of remaining reasonably dry. For example, gloves on the inside of the cuffs so rain doesn't run down into the gloves... counter-intuitive but necessary.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

I carry a MotoPort rain suit that I put over my 'stich if it's going to be heavy rain all day.  Even if the 'stich is water tight, wet gear sucks in the hotel room each night.  Rain gear wipes dry.  I consider the 'stitch (and any cordura laminated gore-tex) good for what I call "commute rain" but if it's going to be heavy rain all day or multiple days... I'll take a rain suit.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

Well after having it for a bit longer i like it more. I still haven't riden in the rain and it's pretty rare i do ride in the rain these days but from previousrain riding the trick alwqys to not let the water puddle up in your crotch . It is getring easier to get on and off, the biggest reason i was drawn to it. 

• 3 months later...

My 20 year old, two piece RoadCrafter is fine for Spring and Fall, but it will cook you in the southeastern summers and freeze you in the winter.

It is water resistant, not water proof. It leaks at the crotch no matter how much seam sealer I use. About once a year, I wash it and spray it down with heavy duty Scotchguard . To shed water, my old Frogg Toggs are much more reliable.

For winter, I use heated gear with my old and excellent Tourmaster jacket/pants and layer accordingly.

Summer, vented and armored First Gear jacket and JR pants.

Almost all of the riding gear and accessories that I own I have obtained used and as new from forums and /or eBay at significant savings,