First diy service and grip puppies install- hellish!

Ive just reached only 800 kms on my new "leftover '19 Tracer but decided to do the oil change a little early. Im not sure why one would use mineral oil in 2021 as full synthetic 10 w 40 is not that much more.  I stayed with the Yamaha factory filter for warranty reasons. The bike was delivered and prepped with a rattling  handguard,  loose chain, and the seat was stuck between the high and low settings and rocking all the way home from the  stealership. This is mainly why Im foregoing the throttle body synch- for now as I dont trust them to carefully work on my bike .As well shes idling and running smoothly.     I noticed   the windshield screws were all loose. Tightening the chain was a breeze with the 27mm socket and a torque wrench and as others have said the sump drain plug and factory filter are fastened supertight. I purchased an offset pliers type oil filter wrench for this. A short ride after felt like the engine and tranny were much happier as the oil drain container seemed to have tiny particles in suspension.   While on the centrestand I installed the "grip puppies" handgrips as I felt the stock grips are a little narrow. I  forgot to bring my small air compressor to the cottage so went with the hot water and soap recommendation seen on many you tube vids.  I cant believe the pressure required to slide the neoprene over the grips. On the throttle side the actual handgrip started turning as well!  I slid it back on with a rubber mallet. Three times I heated water and added soap and still it took about 45 minutes of coaxing to get them on.On a very humid day here I was literally dripping with sweat. Way more of a workout than expected. Well, thats the full report of my rainy day activity today.  Cheers, fellow owners.

• Thumbsup 4

Yeah, you REALLY want compressed air to install the grip puppies.  It's literally a three minute job that way, they just pop right on. 

Upside is, they do NOT move once installed :)

Don't hold the seat position against the dealer, there's a bit of a trick to it and most dealers just don't know about it.  There's a plastic piece under the seat that needs to be moved when you latch the seat into another position.  My dealer got that wrong too, plastic frame in the low position + seat in high position resulting in a wobbly seat.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

bit of a trick to it and most dealers just don't know about it

You're not kidding.  When I was eyeing my now-FJ on the showroom floor, the salesguy fiddled with the seat for about 15 mins and still got it wrong (not that I knew the trick at the time or anything).  It's easy to line the pins up with the wrong holes.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
On 6/26/2021 at 7:16 PM, Garz747 said:

thats the full report of my rainy day activity today

Great report!  Sounds like you addressed all the squeaks and rattles.  Now you can start enjoying that amazing engine :)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

The problem with most of the actual products is they make a huge mess and you're going to want to remove them at some point. 

A spray can of air duster will work like compressed air (because it is), if you don't have a compressor.  No need to get all sorts of gunk in there and potentially damage your stock grips - which, being heated, tend to be expensive.

I mean, to each their own, but just compressed air is so easy and mess free.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 7/4/2021 at 11:48 AM, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, you REALLY want compressed air to install the grip puppies.  It's literally a three minute job that way, they just pop right on. 

Upside is, they do NOT move once installed :)

Don't hold the seat position against the dealer, there's a bit of a trick to it and most dealers just don't know about it.  There's a plastic piece under the seat that needs to be moved when you latch the seat into another position.  My dealer got that wrong too, plastic frame in the low position + seat in high position resulting in a wobbly seat.  

Or you could throw out that crappy seat and fit it with a Corbin Seat...........

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, DavidS said:

Or you could throw out that crappy seat and fit it with a Corbin Seat...........

Or a Bagster.👍🏻

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

On 7/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, mellow said:

I prefer grip buddies.. they use velcro so in the winter you can take them off to feel the heated grips but then put them back on.

https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

You definitely still feel the heated grips through grip puppies, every bit as much.  If not that would have been a hard stop problem for me, being a winter rider.  It does take an extra minute for the heat to come through initially, but on the flip side they don't cool as much when you take your hands off or use the brake/clutch. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 2:16 AM, Garz747 said:

Ive just reached only 800 kms on my new "leftover '19 Tracer but decided to do the oil change a little early. Im not sure why one would use mineral oil in 2021 as full synthetic 10 w 40 is not that much more. 

Regular mineral oil should be used in a brand new engine as it allows some wear on the components so that they can bed-in.  Should really use fully synth after the first 1000 miles or so.