FJ-09 - Most Useless Feature

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anybody come up with a more useless feature than my nomination for "Eco Mode?"  I don't think I need to be told when I'm taking it easy, ha. 
I wonder if tech like this is somehow pushed by the Federal Govt.  My 2012 Mitsu car has this also.  To be honest, It might be handy if you are fearful of running out of gas.  I guess, in the end, it is as useful as cruise control on a motorcycle.  I kid, I kid!

• Premium Member
Can anybody come up with a more useless feature than my nomination for "Eco Mode?"  I don't think I need to be told when I'm taking it easy, ha. 
Pretty sure that's an EPA mandated feature.  I had one of those on a car in the 90s, drove me completely insane for the first few months until I learned to pay no attention at all to it. 
I could see it maybe being useful when I'm 200 miles into the tank and not sure where the next gas station might be though :-).

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
My Vette had a skip shift 1st gear to 4th gear when going slow for smog/gas mileage. Disabled that first thing. I hate the nannies on vehicles. And yes, the ECO mode is worthless. So is the little N light on the lower left. Needs to be way brighter or bigger.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Studies from a few years ago show that drivers (or riders) will drive far more efficiently if there is some sort of "game" made of it, and that's what the "ECO" light is. Heck, my wife's Veloster Turbo has an actual game (with high scores and all) built into the nav unit that you play by getting good mileage.

I don't really feel it's a "nanny" feature.

ULEWZ, as far as the "N" light, I've found myself going off of the large shift indicator in the multifunction display.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

I own a '13 focus, and they have that little game thing too... My car actually gave me a "trophy" for being an eco driver. I call it the grandma trophy.
I have since become bored with the one and only auto achievement I can get, so now I'm trying to find the "top speed" trophy.

I agree ECO mode on the FJ doesn't mean much. But, since the conversation expanded to other vehicles, I'd like to point out they aren't all as pointless. The ECO mode on my truck shuts off the fuel to 4 of the 8 cylinders, and it's a feature I love on the open highway.

My vote has to go with the front honeycomb. I like the styling of it, but wow is it placed terribly
I've thought of filling it with clear epoxy or something before the clouds of lovebugs are out.

The plastic divider under the seat preventing you from using most of the space under there I feel is the most useless feature.
I'll second that useless bit of added plastic! After I read about it here, I pulled out my pocket knife and went to work. Its really soft so cutting it out is easy.

• Premium Member
The plastic divider under the seat preventing you from using most of the space under there I feel is the most useless feature.
I'll second that useless bit of added plastic! After I read about it here, I pulled out my pocket knife and went to work. Its really soft so cutting it out is easy.
So it's not just me who thinks that.  I wondered if it was more accessible from under the rider's seat, but I hadn't bothered to check yet.  I want to put the fuse block in there, so some cutting will have to be done.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I dont mean to be to literal but I lose eco after 77mph in 6th every time...when you said 80 you were just givin a for instance or I'm wondering if my in off by a little. Sorta related my gauge is off by a couple when comparing to gps, friends, and posted up digital speed limit signs.

Archived