FJ-09 - Most Useless Feature

I have to agree with you. I ran the gas tank almost empty in preparation to install my cruise control (that I'm still waiting for - another topic). I put 2 gallons in it and the gauge showed full. I ran it 58 miles (I don't rely on it - thank goodness we have 2 trip meters - the 1st one I use to watch my mileage) and it went to 1/2 on the gauge. I ran it another 25 miles and it went down so quickly and after 5 more miles was flashing. I know my what my mpg is and should have had enough to get home which at that point was about 15 miles away. I wimped out and put a some fuel in...  
Yep - fuel gauge is not to be relied on...
Something you might want to keep in mind if you ride in an area with the 3 grades / 1 hose type pumps - the hose is probably full of 87 octane fuel from the last cage driver that used it and will dilute the 91 octane you buy, more so the less you pump.  Many riders try to run the tank near empty to get as much 91 as possible each purchase. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
The timer since you started the engine.
As is the timer is worthless to me.  But if I could choose to have it reset only when I want it would be more useful.  Elapsed running time.
that's a feature on most tractors as they are often used in static roles to power other stuff. Your local HD dealer should be able to oblige if that floats your boat.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the "see you next time" text when you turn off the bike. It's just weird, if it just said "Yamaha FJ-09" or something it wouldn't bother me as much.
Maybe it should say "Wasn't that a hoot?!", or "I see that smile!" 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
As is the timer is worthless to me.  But if I could choose to have it reset only when I want it would be more useful.  Elapsed running time.
that's a feature on most tractors as they are often used in static roles to power other stuff. Your local HD dealer should be able to oblige if that floats your boat.
I actually use the timer. On tour we have an informal agreement to stop every 90 minutes or so. Yes, my own body can tell me when it's time to stop, but when you're synchronising with others the timer is useful. It's like watching cricket - it is only the run total that really matters, but it is so much more interesting when you have the run rate, bowling analysis, individual batsmen's performance etc.  

I actually use the timer. On tour we have an informal agreement to stop every 90 minutes or so. Yes, my own body can tell me when it's time to stop, but when you're synchronising with others the timer is useful. It's like watching cricket - it is only the run total that really matters, but it is so much more interesting when you have the run rate, bowling analysis, individual batsmen's performance etc. 
when I'm riding with my wife, if I stop every hour or less, she generally enjoys the trip. If I push it longer than that, she hates motorcycles and doesn't want to ride for months. But she won't tell me she's getting tired and if I ask her at an hour if she wants to stop she hem haws and doesn't want to tell me to stop. I am personally good for a couple hours or more at a time and get lost with the time so that timer is a godsend to me when riding with my wife. It takes the guesswork out of it. If it clicks over to an hour, I'd better be stopping soon because I "need gas." I pay no attention to it while riding by myself. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

• Premium Member
To me the most usless feature is 7th gear. I can never get the tranny to shift into it.

This is my first bike with a gear indicator.… obviously, I don't always pay it enough attention.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the "see you next time" text when you turn off the bike. It's just weird, if it just said "Yamaha FJ-09" or something it wouldn't bother me as much.
Maybe it should say "Wasn't that a hoot?!", or "I see that smile!"

I wish we could program in what we want it to say. I'd program in," Stop farting on me for God sakes!" ;-)
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived