Garmin Zumo XT GPS Mounting...

Or just GPS mounting in general. Anyone mount a Garmin XT to their Tracer? Looking for install ideas on what the best way is. Coming from a 2014 Street Glide Special with built-in navigation, I'm really missing having an e-map when I want.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I made my heads up display based on a lateral slotted mounting rail that is positioned with L brackets stemming off the 2 upper wind screen mounting bolts.  The rail is wide enough to accommodate 3 devices (GPS, Radar-Lazer Detector / Jammer & Video) using standard RAM T-slot ball mounts.

20210425_154638.jpg

20210425_154620.jpg

20210425_154603.jpg

Nice mounting solution.

Mounted mine using a RAM ball.  Took off the left rear handlebar mounting bolt and put RAM ball there.  Used a short connector to connect that ball with the ball on the back of the Zumo XT mount.  My GIVI tank lock bag constricts positioning choices a bit but works well for me.  I don’t trust myself to always fasten the click in XT so added a stick on tether and a nylon string loop to the back of the XT.  I wrap the loop around the bar and fasten it with a  small carabiner. 

Positioning with a handlebar mount is a bit tricky with a tank bag.  Too high and it interferes with the display and too flat and it’s hard to read.  Mine worked well on the last trip - 5,000 miles.  I’m still struggling with routing software.  Have tried several and difficult to creat a route, I wind up modifying XT rout by  dragging it mostly and love the ability to see distances to fuel and food.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I’m still struggling with routing software.  Have tried several and difficult to creat a route, I wind up modifying XT rout by  dragging it mostly and love the ability to see distances to fuel and food.

Try using the Garmin ‘Drive’ app, really simple to make and save a route.  You can also create a route by touching a spot on the screen map. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks, got totally frustrated before last trip and haven’t had time to get back to it yet.  My favorite tools are Butler state maps and use them to determine route I do in XT.  

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Thanks, got totally frustrated before last trip and haven’t had time to get back to it yet.  My favorite tools are Butler state maps and use them to determine route I do in XT.  

Don't forget that in addition to the "Drive" app or touching the screen, that you can also use voice commands to add stops to make a route.  The new Garmin's make it very convenient with several ways to enter destinations, on our last trip I literally made each days route in the motel parking lot as we were getting our bikes warmed up each morning.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Because I need to touch it relatively frequently which I usually do only when stopped, I have my phone mounted from the bar clamp bolt below the instruments where it's within easy reach (note the X-grip mount in my above photos).  However, I wanted my GPS and radar detector where I could monitor them without tipping my head down while rolling down the road, which demanded they be mounted above the instruments.  Something to consider for safety reasons.

• Thumbsup 1

I tapped the ABS plastic on the top of the windshield adjuster for a 1/4 - 20 double-sided camera mount bolt:
International Standard 1/4 to 1/4 Threaded Tripod Screw Adapter Standard  Tripod Mounting Thread Camera Screw Adapter Converter|Live Tripods| -  AliExpress

Then fitted one of these these 90* 17mm ball mounts to the top of it.

VizGiz 2 Pack 1/4 inch to 17mm Ball Mount Adapter Swivel Bolt for Tripod Selfie Grip Stand Head Phone Pad Tablet Clip Cradles Clamp Holder Connector

Literally the simplest possible way to get the GPS right where I want it.

I have tried a ton of options. I never liked any of the handlebar mounts--I always wanted the GPS further up into my field of view.

Here is how it turned out... (will edit and add pictures from phone).

20210719_093652.jpg

20210719_093901.jpg

20210719_094135.jpg

Edited by j-bone
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Great idea and execution!

Not possible on the 15 ~ 17...

On 2nd thought is the threaded adapter long enough to get a nut on the underside of the windscreen adjuster?  Because vibration and bending moment loads on the adjuster plastic could cause the threads to strip with bad results...

On 7/19/2021 at 12:47 AM, pokey074 said:

This is the mount I'm looking at:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-vibration-damped-handlebar-clamp-gps-mount?sku_id=1761500

Looks like it would make good use of the space right in the middle of the bar clamps and put the GPS just below the instrument cluster.

I'm liking this solution a lot. Can't see any reason not to try it- unless I see something better.

Question on security: how often do you remove your Garmin from the bike, and which quick release works best?

Edited by sandman900

• Supporting Member
On 7/10/2021 at 11:05 PM, pokey074 said:

Or just GPS mounting in general. Anyone mount a Garmin XT to their Tracer? Looking for install ideas on what the best way is. Coming from a 2014 Street Glide Special with built-in navigation, I'm really missing having an e-map when I want.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:07 AM, pokey074 said:

I think something right in the middle of the bars is what I'd be looking for. Looks like there are several solutions out there.

Coming from someone who uses a GPS on every ride, past and present bikes for over a decade, *my opinion* is that the higher the unit is into your line of sight, the less distracting and easier/safer it is to use .  If you are trying to navigate highway interchanges or more complex turn-by-turn directions, you don't want to be constantly glancing down at the bars and then back up to the street.  I have used the GPS for many years mounted in both locations and MUCH prefer the higher above the gauge mount.

Regardless of how you choose to mount the device, hardwire the unit to the bikes 'key-on' switched 12v aux. circuit, the 12v power port SUCKS.

• Thumbsup 1