Yamaha 900 GT Trunk Warning-Do you abide?

• Premium Member

I bought my '15 with 1500 miles on it, and it came with the OEM bags.  I first added the 50L box and ran it for a while, but it was too big!  Then put a 39L on and 20K miles later, the tail section has not fallen off.  And I often haul well over the recommended weight in the bags/box.

Lawyers gotta keep the mfg out of court rooms, so ridiculous ratings will be published.

58 minutes ago, Butrzrulz said:

That's how my F800 looked on trips!  Hopefully the Tracer will get going on a long journey sooner than later.

12004812_10203494181353977_3023833009692303410_n.thumb.jpg.c70f412cea7db0456ff85cc76aa85dd7.jpg

Great photo, love the color.  My F800GT was the pavement grey.  Not a great pic but the day I traded for the Tracer GT.  Rode from Grand Island Nebraska to Sioux Falls SD traded and then back to Yankton SD.  Not the trip I planned but a great adventure anyway.  In front of the duffle there is a 12" Walmart tool bag.  That is my new "tank bag" as the old tank bag stayed with the BMW.  In some ways the BMW was a better sorted touring bike but the heat issue and lower power were frustrating.  Tracer GT has it weaknesses, suspension and windscreen are a couple, but the engine is wonderful.  Can't fix the engine but can mod suspension and windscreen.  Cruse control is another nice feature.  Otherwise they are similar bikes and competent one up touring machines.  

Accumulating parts for a chain replacement at 11,000 miles, little surprised at it being so early but haven't done the best job of caring.  A through cleaning and lube might get it back for a while but dont won't to set out for a few thousand miles with anything suspect.  

IMG_1846.jpg

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

I was there Saturday morning.  CR 42, then up and down FM 762, then over to Cow Creek Rd.

My Sunday morning route…  looks like we know the same places. 

B6AB5416-41D6-4C56-A59B-4F14F6BAA22C.thumb.jpeg.5f7aefa8d8dedd1461e94adb393c32a6.jpeg

I am guessing that warning is not about the rear end falling off but more so the front wheel coming off the ground unexpectedly because the 900 is powerful. My after market luggage rack moves the weight further back than the nonexistent OEM rack. Lawyers gotta be lawyers, look what great work is done in Washington by all those lawyers.

• Thumbsup 1

Hopefully I will be heading out on a trip on my GT soon, with side and topcase.  I also use a drybag for camping gear.  My last "touring" bike did 49 states loaded in a similar fashion and it was far from a touring bike.  I feel fairly safe about doing the same with this bike. 

DSC_0533.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:53 AM, betoney said:

Regardless of the weight added to the bike, luggage or passenger, the rear wheel distance to the ground will not change while on the center stand. 

Haha, I believe he meant that the bike should not tip back on the c-stand causing the rear wheel to touch the ground. On my recent 9 day two-up trip to OR I had 71lbs spread amongst the stock bags (43lbs) and my Givi top case (28lbs). With that I could tip the bike back with one finger - on flat ground (parked on a slope one night and it tipped by itself).  😁

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

Anyone have any luck finding a 39L top case form Yamaha in stock anywhere?

If I remember correctly got mine from Revzilla a few months ago.  Hard to find!  I asked to be notified when in stock and they sent me an email and I instantly bought.  Best advice I've got.  Really happy with mine but as you are seeing they are hard to get and I'm not sure why - big enough for a full face helmet and some other stuff.