Yamaha 900 GT Trunk Warning-Do you abide?

So, in searching for the best price on the Yamaha 39L trunk I noticed that Yamaha specifically tells you NOT to use the trunk with the hard bags (this warning is stated on the rear rack/case mount page).  Now, isn't this anti-sport tourer?  Do you listen to this warning?  I mean, when I think properly set up sport tourer, that includes a trunk/top box.  I'll plan to order it and use it all the time.  What say you?

image.thumb.png.fd865d6bd96ee5dc7ccb6d3aaa81bb9f.png

I've not had issues in the 2 years i had with the bike.

The bike is used almost daily and i have almost 41000 kms on the clock

I have a Givi 52L rear top case with FJR panniers.

Hope this helps.

Well, given the Tracer has a max load capacity of 395lbs (rider, passenger, accessories, gear, etc), it's not surprising they say that to cover their posteriors.  It's REALLY easy to go well past that, and particularly have too much weight rearward on the bike.  I mean, "too much" by what they say, but it'll carry way more weight just fine... It's just Yamaha is saying they're not responsible if you overload the rear of the bike and it goes walking away. 

• Thumbsup 2

I have the 39l top case and have travelled 2 up with all cases fully packed with no handling or ride issues. I am 200 lbs geared up, and my pillion adds another 130 or so. 
I am fully confident in the bike to manage that load. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Butrzrulz said:

Thank all for the feedback so far.  Just such an odd warning for touring bike.  

Agreed, but I think it goes back to the fact that it wasn’t really designed as a touring bike.  It’s an FZ9 at heart, and Yamaha’s liability-conscious legal team has their stamp of caution all over the bike.  The 114 mph speed governor on the early bikes is just another example.  

Use some common sense and you’ll be fine.   I’ve had the factory bags and rear rack on my FJ since day one, even though the Yamaha accessory literature would have you believe I should have spontaneously combusted by now… 😳

1375CB88-6F3E-4A6B-8E0A-1932CBADE773.thumb.jpeg.83b171c34433dc0c58fbf16c75d4920c.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4

Every bike and every luggage system has the same issue with ridiculously impractical weight limits in the labeling, absolutely no one has ever paid the slightest attention, and the roads are not running with blood from riders thrown to the ground by riding 2 pounds over the limit.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I always went by, if the bike has a center stand the rear wheel should not touch the ground. When on the center stand and fully load with luggage, not including rider and passenger.  

• Confused 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

I always went by, if the bike has a center stand the rear wheel should not touch the ground. When on the center stand and fully load with luggage, not including rider and passenger.  

Regardless of the weight added to the bike, luggage or passenger, the rear wheel distance to the ground will not change while on the center stand. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@Butrzrulz -

(a) Do you recognize the road in the photo above?   

(b) Is your screen name a Southpark reference? 

a) CR 42 (out by Brazos Bend State Park)?

b) yes

2 hours ago, bwringer said:

Every bike and every luggage system has the same issue with ridiculously impractical weight limits in the labeling, absolutely no one has ever paid the slightest attention, and the roads are not running with blood from riders thrown to the ground by riding 2 pounds over the limit.

I'm sure that's true, but I've never seen a warning like that before, especially when it's counter to what the bike is sold to be.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

CR 42 (out by Brazos Bend State Park)?

Correct!   I figured you would recognize it from the area.   Maybe we can connect for a ride at some point… 

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Correct!   I figured you would recognize it from the area.   Maybe we can connect for a ride at some point… 

I was there Saturday morning.  CR 42, then up and down FM 762, then over to Cow Creek Rd.

219690520_4202436156538806_5790409300182607962_n.thumb.jpg.2c8409cff99239fa338cc8432936adf5.jpg

Edited by Butrzrulz
  • Like 1

I've been running a top case for several months and over 7,000 miles with no issues.  Local rids usually are just the top case but for trips it top and side cases.  To minimize rearward weight I don't put much in the top case.  It is reserved for rain gear, maps and a bottle or two of water and whatever I realize I haven't packed LOL.  Over a 2 week trip it did fluctuate a bit but was super handy.  I carry a lot of my gear in a 58L duffle on the rear seat.  Bike handled well with no issues although I didn't push hard with it loaded and on unfamiliar roads.  I really think, but cannot prove, that it helps gas mileage.  The blue strap around the duffle is to keep it from creeping forward and crowding into my back.

Battle Pass in on Wyoming 70 south of Encampment WY.  Road is good and not much traffic or gas.  I filled up in Encampment and Chief of Police told me it something like 70 miles to the next gas.  I've been thru there twice and both times were great.

IMG_2597.jpg

13 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

I've been running a top case for several months and over 7,000 miles with no issues.  Local rids usually are just the top case but for trips it top and side cases.  To minimize rearward weight I don't put much in the top case.  It is reserved for rain gear, maps and a bottle or two of water and whatever I realize I haven't packed LOL.  Over a 2 week trip it did fluctuate a bit but was super handy.  I carry a lot of my gear in a 58L duffle on the rear seat.  Bike handled well with no issues although I didn't push hard with it loaded and on unfamiliar roads.  I really think, but cannot prove, that it helps gas mileage.  The blue strap around the duffle is to keep it from creeping forward and crowding into my back.

Battle Pass in on Wyoming 70 south of Encampment WY.  Road is good and not much traffic or gas.  I filled up in Encampment and Chief of Police told me it something like 70 miles to the next gas.  I've been thru there twice and both times were great.

IMG_2597.jpg

That's how my F800 looked on trips!  Hopefully the Tracer will get going on a long journey sooner than later.

12004812_10203494181353977_3023833009692303410_n.thumb.jpg.c70f412cea7db0456ff85cc76aa85dd7.jpg