Top 3 things you DON'T like about the FJ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It gets plenty of mileage, I average about 200 miles per tank, a little more if I stay out of the play range.
Windsheild is going to boil down to personal prefrence, the stock one is fine and keeps the wind off me pretty good.
Maint. Easy Peasy- just keep the chain clean and follow the owners manual.
Seat is comfortable enough, Who doesn't want the most comfortable ass in the world? NOBODY, thats why serious tourers upgrade.

My only gripes...
Don't hang out behind a semi, the handle bars will start to wobble, Steering stabilizer will help tremendously- OR- Don't ride in spots that will cause the nimble steering to get wobbly on you. One costs money, the other does not.
I don't like that I can't ride it all the time. 

I'm thinking about getting an FJ, but I like to do my research.  What are your concerns?  Windshields?  Mileage?  Maintenance?  Seat?
Have you 'researched' the existing threads in this forum?

Perhaps hes a social butterfly  (rofl)

• Premium Member
The thing I don't like about this bike is that my driver's licence seems ever more fragile with each ride. Either that or someone has set my speedo to kph.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I got the FZ-09 when it first came out. I had no idea that they would be building this bike or I would have waited.

The only thing I hate about my FZ-09 (same bike basically) is that the suspensions is complete crap. One fork doesn't even have pistons, just spring and fluid. The shock sucks too.

the FZ-07 is the same. Crap suspension.

BUT, I expected this because, look at the price. They are low priced bikes with awesome engines. And, I change my suspension to suit my weight and riding style on every bike that I own anyways. But, I wasn't prepared to see what they put into these cheap suspensions. My God, they are total crap.

Awesome bikes, but when adding up the cost of owning one, suspension should be the first and number one upgrade.

I got the FZ-09 when it first came out. I had no idea that they would be building this bike or I would have waited.  
The only thing I hate about my FZ-09 (same bike basically) is that the suspensions is complete crap. One fork doesn't even have pistons, just spring and fluid. The shock sucks too.

the FZ-07 is the same. Crap suspension.

BUT, I expected this because, look at the price. They are low priced bikes with awesome engines. And, I change my suspension to suit my weight and riding style on every bike that I own anyways. But, I wasn't prepared to see what they put into these cheap suspensions. My God, they are total crap.

Awesome bikes, but when adding up the cost of owning one, suspension should be the first and number one upgrade.
to be fair, while the suspension on the FJ may not be premium, it is by all accounts better than the FZ. YMMV on if you really need to upgrade it. For me so far it has been pretty good.

I added mirror extenders because the mirrors were useless without them. That was a $30 fix and now they are perfect. You wouldn't even know I did it without someone pointing them out to you because they match the bike so well.. To me, the windshield definitely needs replacing. I may get a shortie for summer and a touring one for cooler weather or taking a long trip. $100 each option so it's not too bad. They already have a couple options that have been well received and match the style of the bike pretty well. I find the windshield that's on the bike is worse than having no windshield at all for my height. It creates a lot of turbulence around the helmet. It makes for extremely loud wind noise. I frequently stand up for a break from the noise. I still need to purchase luggage, but I can't really fault the bike for that. I hate the windshield so much I will probably fix it before I buy luggage though. Really should be relatively easy to fix the issues I have with the bike.

Hey, @cruizin you're the one who hasn't sent me your forks yet. ;-)

We know the one leg has 2 pistons. What the other holds is anyone's guess but it probably has at least a rebound piston. Even if there are the full complement, the piston Kayaba used is a PoS (despite having a perfectly decent one in their parts bin) and I can't think of any bike they've done that wasn't complete ass in the shim stack. It's really not that hard. It's like they want to do the worst possible job.

There's no reason I know of why I can't convert the stock setup into a SFF (separate function) with adjustable comp in one and reb in the other and utilizing just 2 pistons (what Matris does, basically). Or with a little work do a traditional 4-valve setup and even throw in one of my hollow bolts that lets you adjust slow-speed compression with a needle. Albeit you have to pull the axle to get at that adjustment.

So if I had a preference I'd focus on the SFF since all settings will be readily at hand. There is a compromise of course in that it might not be as good as a 4-valve system, but I can guarantee even the SFF will be a night vs day improvement over stock.

I'm thinking about getting an FJ, but I like to do my research.  What are your concerns?  Windshields?  Mileage?  Maintenance?  Seat?
Yeah, I can see you're putting some serious time and work into this research stuff.  To answer the question:  The FJ-09 is the perfect bike - anyone who doesn't buy one hates motorcycles.

Here's my nitpicking: First, the fuel gauge is virtually useless. On mine, it shows full until around 130 miles, then rapidly goes to empty at around 170, then flashes at me angrily despite a full gallon remaining in the tank. I expect that Yamaha will fix this with a software update at some point. Second, the traction control really does not like dealing with wheelies (and they happen often). Front wheel comes up, TC chops throttle, front wheel comes down, TC adds throttle, front wheel comes up, repeat. It's smooth as butter with wheelspin though.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

Ditto on the fuel gauge. It is terrible. But nothing that can't be solved by using trip 1 to keep track.

I also dislike the windshield. The stock one looks really cool but for me with the seat in the high position, 34" inseam, 6' tall, I cannot get a good position. They all suck for turbulence.

This is a stupid gripe because the bike has a gear indicator, but I hate the green neutral light below the readouts. Every bike I've had has a good green indicator that's easy to spot...this one sucks. For the record also the first bike I've had with a gear indicator so still "learning" to look for it.

Archived