Niken Off Road

How about again.
I ask the experts in routes by roads, etc .. in case I get a second Niken (used) to tinker with it.
I already know that it is not the right motorcycle for hard routes and such ... but my question is to be able to use it on easy dirt roads and others or whatever is third if the case and you can with it. , suitable tires so here comes the main thing.
This motorcycle comes equipped with:
-120/70/15
-190/55/17
1-Are there trail / mixed tires to be able to mount it or, failing that, an equivalent measure that could "enter" under the wheel arches if they are left on ...?
2-We already know that the Niken is a Tracer with what the basic accessories for roads ... skid plate, etc. could be worth ... it would be something to see.

Edited by alpina

• Supporting Member
On 8/28/2021 at 3:41 AM, alpina said:
How about again.
I ask the experts in routes by roads, etc .. in case I get a second Niken (used) to tinker with it.
I already know that it is not the right motorcycle for hard routes and such ... but my question is to be able to use it on easy dirt roads and others or whatever is third if the case and you can with it. , suitable tires so here comes the main thing.
This motorcycle comes equipped with:
-120/70/15
-190/55/17
1-Are there trail / mixed tires to be able to mount it or, failing that, an equivalent measure that could "enter" under the wheel arches if they are left on ...?
2-We already know that the Niken is a Tracer with what the basic accessories for roads ... skid plate, etc. could be worth ... it would be something to see.

While the rear tire is easy to find off road tires e.g. Pirelli Skorpions, it's the front two tires that are more challenging since they're actually scooter tires and only one set (OEM Bridgestone Battleaxe)  match the appropriate speed rating because of the unique needs of the Niken. 

It should be possible to find appropriate off road tires for the front but I doubt that any of them will match the speed rating (required in some countries) to pass inspection. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 7 months later...
  • Supporting Member
On 9/2/2021 at 1:50 AM, alpina said:
Thank you, I have commissioned a friend workshop to find tires ... the inspection is what worries me the least, I will see the other extras (skid plate, fenders, etc)

Did you find a skid plate and fender extenders for your Niken?

Finally I have decided to mount M+S tires since they are the only ones that, according to inspection, I could mount on both axles without having problems later, so I forgot a little off road but it is suitable for bad weather, rain, etc.
I'm going a little slowly because adapting both Niken to my liking... takes money.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Added the Pyramid Yamaha MT-10, FZ10 & Niken Hugger Extension Matte part 072448. Purchased through ebay for 30 english pounds and 10 shipping. Total about US$58 and delivered in a week.

Easy install, stick together with some double sided tape, drill four 4mm holes and insert 4 plastic rivets. I added some silicone on the back to fill the gap. Adds about 6" to the stock mud guard. Looks like is it just the right length to stop spray from hitting the underside of the seat. Surprised to see that this part also works on the MT-10 and FZ-10, maybe that means some other manufacturers may have fender extenders that will fit the Niken also. 

Mud under seat in pic is from before install.

Fender2.jpg

Fender3.jpg

Fender4.jpg

Fender5.jpg

Fender6.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have found the economical and waterproof solution for the rear wheel since the water jumps into the trunk and my jacket... Eva rubber... cheap, waterproof and flexible.

Edited by alpina