Garmin Zumo XT Carging…

pokey074

I don’t do electrics. If I wanted to run a GPS before I take the bike in to my local mechanic to have a GPS hardwired to the ignition circuit, can I charge a Zumo XT off the power plug while the bike is running without any problems?

• Premium Member

If you temporarily crimp the correct half of a SAE connector to the Garmin hard wire line and plug it into your SAE battery tender you already connected to the battery you'll have full time XT power until you find the confidence to hard wire it yourself... 😉

https://www.amazon.com/iGreely-Automotive-Extension-Disconnect-Connector/dp/B07GRY43X4/ref=asc_df_B07GRY43X4?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80745437134423&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345015852766&psc=1

On 8/29/2021 at 8:17 PM, SKYFLIX said:

The mini-USB port on the Zumo will not reliably hold a cable while the bike is in motion, and you'll lose the water and dust protection by having the rubber flap open. I would not recommend doing this.

Good to know. I can’t believe how low the battery capacity is on the Zumo XT. 😔

LOL it is low!  Nothin like having it go out when using it!  It’s done that to me.  When I bought my bike I used a cigarette lighter adapter and hard wired it to my Zumo XT.  Worked well until I got a better solution.  Rode about 2,400 miles tat way.  No rainstorms and the outlet plug from AutoZone fit snuggly.   I have the Zumo XT mount on my bars and it has worked very well for a year.  However recently I’ve had some trouble with the power pins not allizning correctly and the Zumo XT has to be removed from the mount and re installed.  

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I have the Zumo XT mount on my bars and it has worked very well for a year.  However recently I’ve had some trouble with the power pins not allizning correctly and the Zumo XT has to be removed from the mount and re installed.  

I smear a bit of dielectric grease on the pins of the mount, and on back of my 590 to help make contact and keep those iddy-biddy spring loaded pins lubed up.  Once or twice a year is all that's needed. Same with Senas on our helmets. 

• Thumbsup 2

Had that thought today, have been having trouble with GoPro sometimes stopping before the battery is dead.  Have to remove and reinstall to get it going again!  Did that to me today as I was riding over Beartooth Pass!  

on my Zumo XT it is the tiny spring loaded pins that get turned to the side.  Take Zumo off and make sure the pins are straight and stick it back on.

teathers:  good to have one!  A few days ago pulled out of a KOA starting out on a 400 mile ride.  Looked down and Zumo was gone, well wait there it is held by the teather!!!  A very good save for sure.