• Supporting Member

Hoping to take an upcoming vacation to Italy. A few questions on driving rules in Italy:

-Speed limits and speed enforcement 

• Limits look like 50 kph /31 mph in city urban areas, highways 90 kph / 56 mph, main roads trunk lines 110 kph / 68 mph. 
  • Enforcement is handled by both police officers and a bunch of photo speed cameras. Q: Am assuming the use of speed cameras is primarily along the highways and urban areas, possibly less so in the countryside? Is there a threshold for the cameras e.g. + 3-5kph won't necessarily result in a photo ticket? 

-Parking

• Is parking free on weekends? 

-Toll roads

• Looks like they take credit card on the expressways. Can a US citizen get a Telepass? 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I've used Italian roads many many times. 

They tend to be very liberal about speed limits - I wouldnt speed in towns/villages, but lots of italians do.

I cant remember seeing a speed camera, the carabinieri do patrols, but they never seem that bothered about motorcycles [or cars] and unless you are being an idiot pay no interest.

No idea about parking for cars - bikes park anywhere [on the pavement/sidewalk often] as long as it doesnt obstruct. Most cities have multistories and towns villages are often pretty liberal about parking.

The autostradale accepts most forms of payment - ive just used my debit card or euros cash. It's not too expensive, but on a motorcycle often better bypassed if you can use more interesting routes.

Love italy, stunningly beautiful, friendly folk. Worst thing is the lunchtime closing that affects so much stuff between 1130 and 230pm. 

Where are you going? 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, pilninggas said:

I've used Italian roads many many times. 

They tend to be very liberal about speed limits - I wouldnt speed in towns/villages, but lots of italians do.

I cant remember seeing a speed camera, the carabinieri do patrols, but they never seem that bothered about motorcycles [or cars] and unless you are being an idiot pay no interest.

No idea about parking for cars - bikes park anywhere [on the pavement/sidewalk often] as long as it doesnt obstruct. Most cities have multistories and towns villages are often pretty liberal about parking.

The autostradale accepts most forms of payment - ive just used my debit card or euros cash. It's not too expensive, but on a motorcycle often better bypassed if you can use more interesting routes.

Love italy, stunningly beautiful, friendly folk. Worst thing is the lunchtime closing that affects so much stuff between 1130 and 230pm. 

Where are you going? 

Planning a route to the Amalfi coast, Tuscany and Rome. I've only been to Naples before but it was during a brief cruise ship stop so this will be my first time driving /riding the roads of Italy.

What do you mean by lunchtime closing?did everything basically shut down for lunch?

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Niken GT

Beware of citys that restrict traffic.  I accidentally drive 20 foot through the gates of Siena.  Followed locals..    Reversed out right away after I seen a sign.    6 month s later, 150 euro fine to my home in Ireland. 

sick  

• Thanks 1

They have a decent hospital in Sorrento, the hospital on Capri is small but the folks are nice.  Wish I didn't know that but ....

Been 3 years since I've been there but have been to Italy including the Amalfi Coast many times.  People are friendly and nice.

Driving, I bought a TomTom with European maps and nice to have paper maps as a backup.  On the Autostrada the speed enforcement was with two different types of systems.   One was the boxes on the side of the road which were marked and the other was on the overheads.  They would note your time and location and then check it further down the road many kilometers and would calculate the average speed.  My TomTom would calculate and keep up with stuff like that - get one and learn to use it before you leave.  Town and countrysides have sporadic speed cameras so need to pay attention.  Not the fun easy going speeding country it used to be.  

Speeding is only one way to get a ticket in Italy.  The towns have no entry zones which are also camera enforced so pay attention.  My son-in-law got a ticket in one of the town on the Amalfi coast when he was following my wife's father - haha told him that was the first mistake!  Think he was so close to him that my father-in-law didn't get a ticket cause camera didn't see license plate.  In Rome there is the ZTL (Zone Traffic Limitation).  Know where the ZTLs are and how to avoid them.  Hotel we stayed in was near the American Embassy and there was only one way to get there without getting a ZTL ticket - miss the turn and oops too bad!   Last time we were there my father-in-law went with me to get my Hertz rental.  He insisted I turn on one street but I knew that wouldn't work so just ignored him.

Driving, Sorrento and getting to Sorrento is confusing and I have been lost there more than once.  Lots of scooters people and bicycles.  Have to get used to scooters passing on your left in the middle of the street with oncoming traffic - all while grandma is passing you on her scooter on the right!  It really not hard to drive, be alert, pay attention and realize the Italian definition of close is very different than in the US.

If you ride here you can ride there.  I have rented a scooter in Sorrento and ridden the Amalfi Coast 4 times with my wife on the back taking pictures.  It is a beautiful place, locals drive fast but if you are slow they will go around you.  I have also rented a scooter twice on Capri.  First time was fantastic and had a blast, wound up ridding all over the island following a Russian fella with his girlfriend on the back.  He was very good and fast.  Second time didn't work well!  Made the mistake of passing a very slow 3 wheel pickup on a switchback hairpin and would up dodging a buss on the exit who was swinging wide for his turn.  Straightened up OK but too close on the right and clipped right bar on the rock wall with predictable results!  Shattered kneecap and a concussion so got to experience Italian ambulance and hospitals.  I would rent a scooter and ride again but my wife (who wasn't injured) hasn't gotten over it.  

Food - some great places to eat, love the pizza that is readily available.  

They do close shops and things in the afternoon and then re-open and are open later than here.  I don't remember but my wife found out trying to get stuff from the pharmacy when I had my crash.  Positano and Amalfi are great places to see and wander around.  Most days we would find a grocery store, bakery, meat shop and buy rolls, ham, cheese, drinks and have a picnic lunch somewhere.  After lunch or dinner don't forget ice cream (would use the Italian word but my engineering degree prevents me from being able to spell it).  

1st pic is from Capri moments before crash and the 2nd is the previous day in Positano maybe.  I'm hungry now!

Don't let any of this scare you.  I love Italy and have had some incredible trips there and am ready to go back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/20/2021 at 6:45 PM, KTMKenny said:

Beware of citys that restrict traffic.  I accidentally drive 20 foot through the gates of Siena.  Followed locals..    Reversed out right away after I seen a sign.    6 month s later, 150 euro fine to my home in Ireland. 

sick  

The ZTL restriction zones are the part that worry me the most. You'd think that there be a centralized place to view all ZTL zones in Italy but you have to view multiple sites.  Especially concerned if ZTL no car zones when I'm planning to hit the Ferrari museum in Maranello along with a tour of the Fiorano track. 

$150 Euros for a twenty foot violation huh, jeez, that is harsh. Thanks for the forewarning - fingers crossed. 

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

They have a decent hospital in Sorrento, the hospital on Capri is small but the folks are nice.  Wish I didn't know that but ....

Been 3 years since I've been there but have been to Italy including the Amalfi Coast many times.  People are friendly and nice.

Driving, I bought a TomTom with European maps and nice to have paper maps as a backup.  On the Autostrada the speed enforcement was with two different types of systems.   One was the boxes on the side of the road which were marked and the other was on the overheads.  They would note your time and location and then check it further down the road many kilometers and would calculate the average speed.  My TomTom would calculate and keep up with stuff like that - get one and learn to use it before you leave.  Town and countrysides have sporadic speed cameras so need to pay attention.  Not the fun easy going speeding country it used to be.  

Speeding is only one way to get a ticket in Italy.  The towns have no entry zones which are also camera enforced so pay attention.  My son-in-law got a ticket in one of the town on the Amalfi coast when he was following my wife's father - haha told him that was the first mistake!  Think he was so close to him that my father-in-law didn't get a ticket cause camera didn't see license plate.  In Rome there is the ZTL (Zone Traffic Limitation).  Know where the ZTLs are and how to avoid them.  Hotel we stayed in was near the American Embassy and there was only one way to get there without getting a ZTL ticket - miss the turn and oops too bad!   Last time we were there my father-in-law went with me to get my Hertz rental.  He insisted I turn on one street but I knew that wouldn't work so just ignored him.

Driving, Sorrento and getting to Sorrento is confusing and I have been lost there more than once.  Lots of scooters people and bicycles.  Have to get used to scooters passing on your left in the middle of the street with oncoming traffic - all while grandma is passing you on her scooter on the right!  It really not hard to drive, be alert, pay attention and realize the Italian definition of close is very different than in the US.

If you ride here you can ride there.  I have rented a scooter in Sorrento and ridden the Amalfi Coast 4 times with my wife on the back taking pictures.  It is a beautiful place, locals drive fast but if you are slow they will go around you.  I have also rented a scooter twice on Capri.  First time was fantastic and had a blast, wound up ridding all over the island following a Russian fella with his girlfriend on the back.  He was very good and fast.  Second time didn't work well!  Made the mistake of passing a very slow 3 wheel pickup on a switchback hairpin and would up dodging a buss on the exit who was swinging wide for his turn.  Straightened up OK but too close on the right and clipped right bar on the rock wall with predictable results!  Shattered kneecap and a concussion so got to experience Italian ambulance and hospitals.  I would rent a scooter and ride again but my wife (who wasn't injured) hasn't gotten over it.  

Food - some great places to eat, love the pizza that is readily available.  

They do close shops and things in the afternoon and then re-open and are open later than here.  I don't remember but my wife found out trying to get stuff from the pharmacy when I had my crash.  Positano and Amalfi are great places to see and wander around.  Most days we would find a grocery store, bakery, meat shop and buy rolls, ham, cheese, drinks and have a picnic lunch somewhere.  After lunch or dinner don't forget ice cream (would use the Italian word but my engineering degree prevents me from being able to spell it).  

1st pic is from Capri moments before crash and the 2nd is the previous day in Positano maybe.  I'm hungry now!

Don't let any of this scare you.  I love Italy and have had some incredible trips there and am ready to go back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Interesting you mention Capri. Lady and I are planning on hitting Capri as well. Your photo above remind me of road widths similar to what I've ridden in Taiwan and Bali, Indonesia.  Definitely doable but I found both places easier to ride a two wheeled machine vs 4. 

Good tip on the VASCAR style timing based speed cameras. Will keep everything nice and leisurely on the roadways then. 

Am planning to buy a bunch cappuccinos, espressos, baked goods, and of course Italian deli meats, cheese and fresh bread to enjoy picnic style during our visit. Good suggestion on the ice cream.  Lady likes her Gelato. 

One of the things we're going to try is a Florentine style three or four finger thick steak. 

Needless to say I'm eating salads  all week until departure and packing pants with elastic waist band in preparation. No belts! 😂

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, KTMKenny said:

sick  

Was this on scooter or by car?

2019 Niken GT

Defiantly recommend the Ferrari Museum, have done it 3 times and each time was unique.  LOL last time was not planned, oldest son had a flight out of Milan so I drove him up there to catch plane.  Spent the night in a hotel there and got him on the bus to the airport and I headed back to Florence, 20 minutes later got a phone call - Dad they canceled my flight!  Turned around and picked him up at the airport - parked in the short term parking which was 1 euro per minute or more!!!!  Delta got him a hotel so we went over there and got him checked in and both a free lunch.  Went to the Ferrari Museum and then took him back.  Left Milan at 8PM and drove to Florence arriving at the hotel about midnight.  It was downtown by the river and had a parking garage - think small and tightly packed.  They opened gate and I got the car parked.  

Near the Ferrari museum they have (or used to have) a place where you could rent a Ferrari. I did the short rental which is just a loop around the city but still fun - it didn't seem as quick as my CBR600RR I had at the time.  

On Capri the Blue Grotto as well as a boat ride around the island is fun.  From the harbor you can walk to the town, take a taxi or ride the incline railroad (can't spell the Italian name).  From the town can take a bus to Anacapri.  From Piazza Vittoria you can ride the chair lift to the top which has some great views.  We always enjoyed a picnic lunch there.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Made it to Italy and a few odd things about the Autostrada A1 going from Maenza south to Naples. Max speed of 130 kph is not actually posted anywhere unlike the USA highways where they generally post max speeds. Drivers here seem to know when the last posted speed ends e.g. Some signs with numbers and a red circle around them indicating max speed of 100 kph or 90 kph. 

Also don't know what kind of police cars they use in italy. So far I've seen what looked like a VW CC as well as police bikes, and a third car I was unfamiliar with. Anyone have a good listing of what unmarked  cars they use because the VW CC / Arteon surprised me quite a bit. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 9/24/2021 at 9:28 PM, maximNikenGT said:

Made it to Italy and a few odd things about the Autostrada A1 going from Maenza south to Naples. Max speed of 130 kph is not actually posted anywhere unlike the USA highways where they generally post max speeds. Drivers here seem to know when the last posted speed ends e.g. Some signs with numbers and a red circle around them indicating max speed of 100 kph or 90 kph. 

Also don't know what kind of police cars they use in italy. So far I've seen what looked like a VW CC as well as police bikes, and a third car I was unfamiliar with. Anyone have a good listing of what unmarked  cars they use because the VW CC / Arteon surprised me quite a bit. 

Police bike used in Positano Italy.  

1FAED601-4A45-4E85-9640-4327EC32A2B9.jpeg

AB936DCC-1FB5-4F7C-8FD3-4C5E3E69F3B0.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 9/20/2021 at 8:52 PM, maximNikenGT said:

The ZTL restriction zones are the part that worry me the most. You'd think that there be a centralized place to view all ZTL zones in Italy but you have to view multiple sites.  Especially concerned if ZTL no car zones when I'm planning to hit the Ferrari museum in Maranello along with a tour of the Fiorano track. 

$150 Euros for a twenty foot violation huh, jeez, that is harsh. Thanks for the forewarning - fingers crossed. 

Saw these ZTL signs up all over central Florence. Terrible place to even attempt to drive a car. Stay outside the city and park on the outside of the river to be sure. 

4B32780E-9BF3-4F41-B3AF-F42C5E61FAD3.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT