• Supporting Member
On 9/21/2021 at 12:45 AM, KTMKenny said:

Beware of citys that restrict traffic.  I accidentally drive 20 foot through the gates of Siena.  Followed locals..    Reversed out right away after I seen a sign.    6 month s later, 150 euro fine to my home in Ireland. 

sick  

Am hitting Siena tomorrow via scooter. Just found the ZTL restricted parking map here https://www.accessibilitacentristorici.it/ztl/Tuscany/siena/mappa

086AAC53-0B87-4663-8347-227D590406F1.png

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

4 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Saw these ZTL signs up all over central  Florence. Terrible place to even attempt to drive a car. Stay outside the city and park on the outside of the river to be sure. 

4B32780E-9BF3-4F41-B3AF-F42C5E61FAD3.jpeg

Florence is a very difficult place to drive.  A number of years ago I had a notebook PC with a GPS dongle and some software.  Navigated by myself to the hotel downtown - was scary because if I lost the GPS literally had no clue how to get there.  One time driving in wound up on the old city side of the river and had a very difficult time getting back across to the hotel.  Better now with modern GPS but ZTLs make life more difficult.

Looks like you are having a lot of fun.

• Thumbsup 1

Italy, Germany, UK: Speed Cameras Bumped, Burned

These can be found anywhere and everywhere. The symbol represents a policeman in an ancient helmet in case you're wondering. They are speed cameras which I suspect will often not work but it's best to slow down when passing them anyway. Tomtom shows most of them and this is not illegal in Italy. Switzerland, Germany and France have made this illegal and fines in Switzerland can ruin your life. In Italy though... "La vita è bella". Enjoy! 😎

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

This is why the Niken makes sense in European cities with cobblestones. Riding these on a typical two wheeler already feels disconnected on regular cobblestones (verified by riding two days on Vespa), but even more precarious when the cobblestones aren't resembling a flat roadway. 

BB439F6D-5E68-4E83-8900-A482A224164F.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Additional types of vehicles used by Italian law enforcement. Very difficult to pick out a typical auto silhouette of a "regular" Italian police vehicle. 

04F2989E-7135-4B67-A247-98798DA6E360.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

How some of the "do not enter" signs in Italy were decorated. I thought someone vandalized them at first or they were fake signs until I saw these in more than just Florence. 

03705A52-DCF7-448E-BCF7-D756CFEBF23E.jpeg

E6A21A50-A1D7-4069-87B3-AC17DB3B8A36.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 10/3/2021 at 10:28 PM, PhotoAl said:

Love the little "lollypop" signs the wave at folks to get them to stop.

Didn't know whether to look down or up at first for these ZTL notifications. Basically forces you to stop to confirm what you're seeing. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 9/30/2021 at 10:49 PM, PhotoAl said:

Florence is a very difficult place to drive.  A number of years ago I had a notebook PC with a GPS dongle and some software.  Navigated by myself to the hotel downtown - was scary because if I lost the GPS literally had no clue how to get there.  One time driving in wound up on the old city side of the river and had a very difficult time getting back across to the hotel.  Better now with modern GPS but ZTLs make life more difficult.

Looks like you are having a lot of fun.

Couldn't imagine trying to negotiate Florence roads with a notebook PC. Be straight out of a horror movie that one. 

Incidentally, Italy makes a hell of a lot a sense to see via motorcycle / scooter vs. 4 wheels, especially in places where the roads are just not that wide which applies to most cities along the Southern Italian / Amalfi coast e.g. Sorrento, Positano all the way to Minori, or the interior sections of major cities e.g. Rome, Florence, Naples, Siena, or even the entire Tuscan countryside since the roads connecting most of the central Italian farms are surprisingly narrow when passing through the various local towns and have significant curbside dropoffs on both sides of the road that can do massive damage to a vehicle if you go off road. I was surprised that central Italy between Florence and Siena was surprisingly hilly with some areas having elevation grades as high as 10-12%. 

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT