• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

12v socket to a Usb on new tracer9 GT.

Just finished fitting the yamaha foglights/spotlights,easy to fit but nowhere to put all the wiring,now the left fairing panel does not fit as good as the other side because of all the wiring and i had to disconnect the satnav because that was the connector needed for the lights,so i wondered if anybody had changed the 12v socket behind the clocks for a usb one and could tell me how to remove it,then i could splice the satnav wire into the back of that,cannot see a way of getting it off,thanks in advance for any help/wisdom.

Edited by yamtracergaz
more info

• yamtracergaz changed the title to 12v socket to a Usb on new tracer9 GT.
  • Supporting Member

I don't have the Tracer but the panels on the FJ09 should be fairly close.  I just wired in a battery voltage meter in place of the 12v socket last week.

Behind the wind screen there are 12v switched aux plugs for adding electrical devices.  You must remove the wind screen and the metal bracket mount and then there is a plastic trim piece that is held on with connectors that have a push pin center, simply use a thin pick or something small like a thin nail and press the center pin and the fasteners comes right out.  Once the plastic trim piece is removed you can find the aux plugs pushed in behind the TFT gauge, the 12v socket is also exposed so you can easily remove it.

When you replace those push pin fasteners, push the center pin up and then put the fastener in the hole and then press the small pin in to lock it in place.

image.thumb.png.2148592228917e09788d5679bd2057c7.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Everything I've seen is the 12V plug is a standard unit that drops into a hole with a locking ring behind it.  On the 2020 there is a hole on the other side which is the same size and would be good for a 12V usb adapter plug.  I have had several 12V USB adapters on the handlebars on my old BMW F800GT and they all failed due to the shaking of the bars.  The Tracer has much less vibration but I still do not like to mount USB adapters on the bars.  The USB adapters have a sizable coil that gets shook loose from the circuit board.  

I've thought about replacing the 12V socket on my 2020 Tracer GT with a USB one but decided to just keep a USB plug in my tank bag for those purposes.  Reason is The 12V socket gives me the ability to plug something else in.  I traded bikes in Sioux Falls SD which is a nearly 2 thousand miles away.  Needed my Garmin Zumo XT to work on the ride home so went to an AutoZone and bought an adapter that I wired to the leads for the Garmin 12V power adapter.  Since then I've added a Neutrino Element fuseless switched power unit that has 6 outputs that can be controlled from my phone.  It turn on with the bike and I run all my stuff off of it including lights (PWM modulated for brightness) and heated gear (also PWM modulated).  A lot more expensive but I like it.  Have seen Garmin has a similar unit which uses the Zumo XT screen as an interface.  That would be very handy to control heated gear and lights.  

^ Same here.  I just use a dual adapter that can plug in a USB and a USB-C.  Just remember to keep the amperage low because on the Tracer 9GT the 12V accessory plug is only protected by a 2AMP fuse.  No problem plugging in my phone and Garmin GPS.  I also have a USB adapter connected to the battery with a Battery Tender pigtail.

Edited by OldBikers
Added info

21 hours ago, yamtracergaz said:

... so i wondered if anybody had changed the 12v socket behind the clocks for a usb one and could tell me how to remove it,...

I know this is not directly answering your question regarding removal, but as others have said above retaining the 12V cigarette lighter socket and instead using a plug-in USB adapter offers the most flexibility (not to mention it is the easier solution). This is the adapter I have.

Ainope.jpg

IMG_E1770.jpg

If you insist on removing it then you can check out this video here as it will give insight on how to get to the socket and what is involved.

Edited by Grumpy Goat
  • Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I only wanted to get at the wires behind it so i could splice my sat nav wires into them,but as there is no info or videos of how to take the NEW MODEL to bits,i had to run the wire under the tank and have it straight to the battery.This is because there is only ONE accessory plug down the left side of the bike at that is needed for the foglights.Not ideal but it's done now.

Edited by yamtracergaz
more info
  • Thumbsup 1