• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

• Supporting Member

Was inspecting my Niken GT to make sure I was current with any required maintenance servicing and what not. I received an email  reminder from Revzilla that my helmet was now three years old and that it suggested a look at all the new stuff.  

This reminder led me to evaluate the state of my motorcycle gear overall for any repairs / retiring needed since I'm the kind of person that needs a  push/reminder  to retire underwear with more than 4 holes. 😁

I realized that my Aerostich suit had some seam tape waterproofing separation around the collar , velcro loop fastener separation in the shoulder armor area, and could use some light repairs around the wrists and ankle  areas due to chafing with my gloves and boots. 

Luckily Aerostich can provide repairs on most of their gear so long as crash damage  isn't too severe and if the suit is not more than 15 years old (mine happens to be 9 years old so still in good shape). 

Do other riding gear  manufacturers offer repairs like this or is it largely like cell phones and most other electronics today where replace is the name of the game and less so repairs? I've got some Dainese gloves and jacket that could use some care. 

99361D39-FC21-4F4D-A742-5DA1E311AD9C.jpeg

2645A772-1DA9-43AB-B7F4-05D8777164BB.jpeg

DD48EAD6-951E-47BE-9450-14523EA82287.jpeg

F3A1AE4D-C668-492A-ADB4-35D91258B8F0.jpeg

00251B1E-2704-4A96-AD95-9944F6C003A0.jpeg

77AF0FEE-0BDF-439C-922F-D416F969E8C6.jpeg

B6B2B84C-2DB6-4620-B037-DC3B25EC2BC8.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Premium Member

Agree with @roadrash83. Klim repaired a jacket of mine, but I don't know all the parameters for what they will repair.

There is a leather repair place near Dover, DE owned by riders that repaired a pair of A* GP gloves with a torn stitch for me a couple of years ago. There are other leather cleaners and repair places that understand riding gear.

A* themselves resoled a pair of my boots almost 20 years ago. Nice new sole, but the boots leaked at the seam so I couldn't wear them on tours anymore. It wasn't an expensive repair at least. 

I also went through an almost 20 year old mesh jacket of mine and replaced the CE armor. Mesh is in good shape. Bohn said their armor is good until crashed, but Knox recommends replacing armor every couple of years (don't remember the #).

I guess I hang on to gear a long time. 

• Thumbsup 1

Barnacle Bill has been in the business of repairing motorcycle leathers for longer than I have been riding.  He does great work.  I have seen some of the suits he has made, and they are as good as or better than brand name products.   Having him put brass zippers in my one piece leather suit next week.

You can find him on Facebook.  He is a friendly fellow and likes to chat. 

• Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Barnacle Bill has been in the business of repairing motorcycle leathers for longer than I have been riding.  He does great work.  I have seen some of the suits he has made, and they are as good as or better than brand name products.   Having him put brass zippers in my one piece leather suit next week.

You can find him on Facebook.  He is a friendly fellow and likes to chat. 

Good to know. Motorcycle leather repair experts are a rare breed indeed. 

2019 Niken GT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Got an estimate back for $90 in repairs not including return shipping. ETA 2-3 weeks. Most expensive part was the patches for where the areas were rubbing through on the leg flaps.
Aerostich mentioned that considering my suit was 9 years old it was in remarkably good condition and that I must have been super careful with ensuring my body armor lined up with the hook and loop fasteners.  Apparently when you don't line  up the armor properly the hook and loop fasteners can chafe against the inside of the suit and potentially cause additional damage. 
Customer service at Aerostich was refreshingly excellent and pleasant. 

736E97D9-98B3-4A5B-8F45-8215CEB3F431.jpeg
Incidentally they mentioned that quite a few visitors have been to their showroom in Minnesota after the New Year to get new suit measurements taken. I don't think a winter trip to Minnesota is a typical vacation for a lot of folks this time of year. 

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

23 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

I don't think a winter trip to Minnesota is a typical vacation for a lot of folks this time of year. 

If I had to choose between riding in my swimwear and going to Minnesota in the winter, I would buy a case of SPF 50 so I wouldn't get sunburnt while riding. 

• Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

So got my suit back, all repairs look great. Took it out for a test spin and the bottom zipper pull on the main zipper promptly broke right off.  

Quick call to Aerostich to order some new zipper pulls and they're sending me two via mail free of charge. 

Love the folks at Aerostich in Minnesota.  I'm glad that they make it easy to support  their  business with such great product and live local phone service personnel.  

2019 Niken GT

I have always had good service and product from Aerostitch. I have been wearing their Roadcrafters for 15 years. I'm on my newest one now and it is closing in on 3 years old not a problem anywhere. I have a Roacrafter jacket and two pairs of Darien pants that are old as old I can't recall when I bought them. I still wear them from time to time but I really like the Roadcrafter one-piece design and it is my go to gear.

If you like the Tan gear it is on sale right now up to 15% off. My newest Raodcrafter one piece is Tan with black abrasion patches and I love the color!

Edited by roy826
  • Thumbsup 1