Quick shift opinions?

Hi guys

i currently have a 900 tracer on a 2021 reg but 2018/19 model not a GT. 

I have a few mods including the following. 
Yamaha heated grips. 
Yamaha rad cover. 
full black widow exhaust. 
re-map. 

ceramic coating. 
RG crash protection  

I like the idea of the quick shifter but I don’t know a lot about them so my questions are….

1. How is it turned on and off?

2. Can you fit them yourself?

3. Can you switch from using the clutch to QS quickly ?

4  any disadvantages of them  ?

gonz  

• Supporting Member

I installed the Yamaha quick shifter on my 2017 FJ-09. It only shifts up. Pretty straight forward install. The tricky part can be getting the shaft to the proper length during install, outside of the proper range will cause rough gear changes. The instructions give a range in mm, and if you fall inside this range it will work well. It was plug n play, with a connector under the fuel tank for the electrical connection. Up shifts with the quick shifter are seamless when the RPM's are up, and it has no affect on how you would use the clutch for up or down shifts. There is no on/off switch, it is available for when you use it. Advantage is taking off like a hooligan from stopped, and zipping up through the gears without pulling the clutch 🙂

Quick shift install

How it works

Edited by Heli ATP
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Great Gonzo said:

So no need to close throttle on up shifts?

gonz. 

I don't own a quick-shifter but have ridden the demo bikes with them and you are correct, no need to close the throttle, just hold the throttle open and start up-shifting. 

The 2021 and 2022 bikes have up AND down quick-shift and you would close the throttle on down-shifts.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I’m new to QS. Never had a bike with such capability. My 21 T9GT is only 3 weeks old. I read the manual about the parameters in which the system works, ie above 2d rpm etc. I gave it some workout and must say I love it especially on upshifts during hard acceleration, such as a freeway entry. I don’t care for it so far on downshifts. 

It’s hard for me to shift any way other than how I’ve been doing it all my life. I fear damaging the trans by shifting like this. Old Dog, new tricks. So, for now I have turned QS off. Until I am thoroughly familiar with the bike, say in another couple thousand miles. 

On my bike QS is turned on and off in the menu. Not sure how done on a bike that QS was added later. 

Also note that engine speed must be above 2krpm and throttle must be open for upshifts, and closed for downshifts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Great Gonzo said:

Throttle not wide open tho right?

gonz. 

Why not? I mean 1-2 you're going to have a wheelie issue with wot, but besides that, let er buck.

Keep in mind 3rd winds out around 100 IIRC.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Great Gonzo said:

Throttle not wide open tho right?

gonz. 

The opposite.  The wider you've got the throttle open the better the QS works.  

You generally also only want to use it above 5krpm.  It'll work anywhere above 2k (which is practically lugging the CP3) but it's usually pretty rough there.  

There's no "switch between clutch and quickshifter" - you can shift with the clutch on one shift, the with the quickshifter on the next.

There is no downside to a quickshifter: its presence doesn't impact regular riding at all, it just gives the the option to just bang up gears without backing off the throttle. 

And that makes sense, because if you had to back off the throttle to use the quickshifter it would do literally nothing as you can already upshift without the clutch just by quickly cutting the throttle which pushing the shift lever up on literally any motorcycle. 

• Thumbsup 4

2 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Why not? I mean 1-2 you're going to have a wheelie issue with wot, but besides that, let er buck.

Keep in mind 3rd winds out around 100 IIRC.

I'll note that the factory quickshifter is kinda sketchy from first to second.  Really easy to just bump it into neutral, and it can feel VERY abrupt depending on the current circumstances.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'll note that the factory quickshifter is kinda sketchy from first to second.

I wonder if you adjust the length of the rod slightly if you’d get better shifts from 1 - 2?

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I'll note that the factory quickshifter is kinda sketchy from first to second.  Really easy to just bump it into neutral, and it can feel VERY abrupt depending on the current circumstances.

That's always been odd on mine, I almost exclusively use my QS for 1-2-3 and that's about it. Smooth as butter as long as you're on it, but your really gotta be on it.

• Thumbsup 1

Yup, works great when you are on it.  I use it a lot when accelerating briskly.  Often I'll use it on a 1st to 2nd shift at higher revs and lots of throttle then just bang up the a couple more gears.  If just poking along always use clutch.  Fairly frequently I'll use it for a quick 1st to 2nd shift when accelerating but then use clutch as I roll off and shift up to a higher gear for cruising.  It is very handy when accelerating hard say on a freeway entrance ramp.  No need to fool with the clutch just roll the throttle wide open and shift when the revs get high.  Yea it will lift the front a bit but traction control seems to keep that under control.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:19 PM, kilo3 said:

That's always been odd on mine, I almost exclusively use my QS for 1-2-3 and that's about it. Smooth as butter as long as you're on it, but your really gotta be on it.

Yeah, for me 1-2 is tough because as I'm geared shorter (up 2 on the rear), 1-2 is very fast when you're really on the throttle. Thinking about it, it's probably a much more usable experience for someone stock geared or taller.  

But that's it for this quickshifter: it's not a mile-munching rider aide, it's a hooligan toy meant for banging through gears fast under hard acceleration rather than quasi-clutchless puttering around. 

9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, for me 1-2 is tough because as I'm geared shorter (up 2 on the rear), 1-2 is very fast when you're really on the throttle. Thinking about it, it's probably a much more usable experience for someone stock geared or taller.  

But that's it for this quickshifter: it's not a mile-munching rider aide, it's a hooligan toy meant for banging through gears fast under hard acceleration rather than quasi-clutchless puttering around. 

I'm geared the same as you remember? I'm even going to 15/45 this spring.  There's got to be something we're missing here how mine works so well outta the gate.

• Thumbsup 1