Fuel in oil (suspected)

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, Forevertwowheels said:

Does anyone know if I can just pull the rail with injectors still installed...

I seem to recall that the injectors come out with the fuel rail. 🤔

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

The fuel rail can be separated from the injectors, or the injectors can be removed with the rail. There’s an oring on the rail side and an injector seal on the intake manifold side. 

Leaving them connected to the rail and then attempting to pressurize the system will cause the injectors to be blown out of the rail under pressure. You’ll have to come up with a way to secure them to the rail for testing, or test them individually under pressure. 

Another way (and easier IMHO) to test injectors is to connect a fuel pressure tester with everything still together. Key on and wait for the pump to pressurize and prime the system. Check your FP tester reading. Access DIAG mode (15 and 16 FJ models via the dash, newer models Dealer software or maybe via OBDII reader. Need confirmation on OBD Ii) and fire the injectors individually. When you do this, the injector will “click” open and closed 5 times. You should see no more than a 1 psi drop on the fuel pressure gauge after the injector is cycled this way. The service manual should detail which channel and how to do this IIRC, but it may not be a clear explanation flowchart that you might expect from other manufacturers (I don’t have a copy in front of me currently). 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Or if you can’t do this for whatever reason, you could always send the injectors to get serviced and flow matched. It doesn’t cost much and you’ll then be sure they are ok. 

I did this for my VFR on the 100,000km service. They tested them first, then rebuilt them and flow matched them. All with a full before after report, if I remember correctly it was around AU$65 per injector. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, piotrek said:

Do you by chance remember how off spec they were at 100K?

They were out, but not enough to worry about, but since I had it apart for a full service including replacing all hoses, O rings, gaskets, valve shims and plugs, I thought it was worth doing. 
Once you pull apart a V4 this much, you might as well do everything. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 2

Results are in: no evidence of fuel, coolant, or water contamination. No accelerated wear or excess metals etc.  Blackstone says the oil looks normal. 

Now I get to think about this over the weekend…I’ll be thinking about anti drain back valves in oil filters and oil shear. For now though it’s safe to say this has all been due to slight mistakes in filling and reading the engine oil. Thanks all!

762EE184-B705-4FF0-9EEC-2BDD5771F74A.png

Edited by Forevertwowheels
Forgot to attach the lab results
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1