Tarcer loose mirror fix and blue wheel scuff repair

I ride a 2019 T 900 GT.  My right side mirror was always coming loose in the mount at high speeds and whenever I hit a sharp bump.  For reasons unfathomable, the geniuses at Yamaha put a left hand thread as the mirror mount (located in the cap clamp for the front brake reservoir).  Wouldn't stay put.  Fixed it by ordering a $37 set of replacement mirrors (E9 certified) from eBay that are an exact visual match to OEM.  I also ordered a new set of cap clamps for $17 from eBay as well.  Installed the right hand thread clamp for the left side of the bike onto the brake reservoir; removed the left side mirror from it's mount, installed the mount on the right side and installed the right side mirror onto it.  Problem solved - now the wind want to tighten the mirror instead of loosening it.

As for the blue wheels, if you get a ding in the blue powder coat from a tire change, order a bottle of blue DyKem.  DyKem is a machinist layout fluid that's more of an ink than a paint.  It's an almost perfect match to the Yamaha blue wheels.  You can order it from eBay or a local machinist supply house if you have one locally.

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, bikerdup said:

For reasons unfathomable, the geniuses at Yamaha put a left hand thread as the mirror mount

That's so when you hit something it doesn't break off, but instead just moves.

• Thumbsup 3

Probably not tight enough. Ok my 900 GT I had the same problem. Take note of where the nut is oriented when it's tightened. Loosen it. orient it so it's about 25 degrees away from where you want it when tightened, and push it the last 25 degrees. Worked for me. 

• Thumbsup 2

53 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

Nothin’ drive ya crazy more than a loose mirror out away from home with no wrench on hand. 

I get lazy and hang my helmet on the left mirror, which eventually loosens the mirror by my actions. It's my fault but really irritating when it flops around. 

• Thumbsup 1

Tried all the fixes above - none worked.  If I crash and it breaks off due to right hand thread on the right side mirror, well that's my bad.  I'll buy the parts to fix it.  Riding down a high speed road, hit a sharp bump, and the mirror is swinging lose and pointing hard left.  I've tightened to the point of stripping the aluminum mirror stalk threads.  If yours work, God love you.  Mine don't; I made a change and am very happy with the outcome.  Stay well, all.

• 2 months later...

I also have issues with the RHS of the mirrors.

I also locktite my RHS mirrors and they seem to be good for now.

Btw there seems to be a revision on the mirrors.

I broke my LHS mirrors and got them replaced and noticed the difference.

image.thumb.png.cf9011df86cd007e86fa775636199f5a.png

I noticed them stems are thicker now

image.thumb.png.0affebf2e76aa6ab59a3c4c721ff4474.png

The part where it screw in also seems to be chunkier now as well.

Hope this helps.

Update: It seems like the mirrors are also found on the Latest T9GT too.

Edited by quaxum
Seems like mirrors are for the T9GT too
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...