Lowering link advice?

Scoobydoo

Hi guys, I'm going to install 15mm lowering links and lower the front to match. I was wondering if you guys had any advice? I was trying to find a youtube video but didn't have much luck. Just thought I'd ask, i found a few threads on here but not really any tips. 

TIA

2019 yamaha tracer gt

Make sure you have a rattle gun for link nuts, on my bike they were impossible to undo without one.

Apart from that, not much to it. Do link, raise forks same amount on triple clamps.

Remove wheel to get more movement and space and use a jack to adjust height of swingarm.

I also had to undo rear brake reservoir and master to move it out of the way.

My advice would be to not lower the bike, it was designed this way for a reason. I am not meaning to come off as a smart ass, but it will affect the handling of the bike and then you will have to likely mod your side stand, and the center stand will be harder to deploy as well. 

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

My advice would be to not lower the bike, it was designed this way for a reason. I am not meaning to come off as a smart ass, but it will affect the handling of the bike and then you will have to likely mod your side stand, and the center stand will be harder to deploy as well. 

Easy to say but with a 29” inseam I was always worried about a fall. Easily happens at a stop with uneven surfaces. I lowered my Niken and my fun has tripled.

I lowered mine and then lowered the front into the triple tree 1/2”. It’s fine. Yes you are closer to the ground in corners. Yes it is a bit more difficult to center stand. But I can flat foot it at stops and to me that’s worth any trade off in clearance.

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Scoobydoo said:

Hi guys, I'm going to install 15mm lowering links and lower the front to match. I was wondering if you guys had any advice? I was trying to find a youtube video but didn't have much luck. Just thought I'd ask, i found a few threads on here but not really any tips. 

TIA

2019 yamaha tracer gt

There’s not much to it, remove two bolts, one on each end of the link and replace with the new one.
I have removed the rear end many times for annual lubrication and the shock linkage should take a few minutes, maybe 25-30 if it’s your first time. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

Easy to say but with a 29” inseam I was always worried about a fall. Easily happens at a stop with uneven surfaces. I lowered my Niken and my fun has tripled.

Look at all the ways you can lower your rider height vs doing links right off thebat. I've used links on a couple bikes but beware the sidestand will decrease bike lean at rest. And despite claims it doesnt affect centerstand operation it does, 5 bikes experience.You can raise front fork tubes, change seats ($), shave seat bumpers, etc which may get you to a more comfortable foit position at stop. Try things like those first. Good luck.

2 hours ago, betoney said:

There’s not much to it, remove two bolts, one on each end of the link and replace with the new one.
I have removed the rear end many times for annual lubrication and the shock linkage should take a few minutes, maybe 25-30 if it’s your first time. 

The bottome bolt is nice and easy, there's a hole in the awingarm for access.  Top bolt looks like a PITA, I'm assuming I'm missing something? One of the comments said to remove the wheel but it didn't look lile that would help much, i found a video online where the guy dropped the exhaust.  I had a buddy come by and see what he thought and he didn't see an easy way to get to the top bolt and be able to get enough torque to remove it. I must be missing something? 

I removed the exhaust to help access, though I didn't find the link nuts too tight. I think I had to alternate between 1/4 and 3/8" drive ratchets and spanners as access allowed. Awkward but do-able. Kept the bike on centre stand and levered the back wheel up and down to get the link bol holes lined up.

I was reverting ride height back to normal as I'm tall enough to manage stock, but didn't find any problems with side or centre stand even with the lower links.

I did find ground clearance bad with the lowering links and the bike loaded (pillion and luggage), which was the main reason I wanted to revert to stock

• Supporting Member

I have never removed the exhaust to work on the bike but for anything on the rear end, I remove the wheel, it literally takes 30 seconds and gives you tons of access to whatever you need to access and the swingarm is a lot lighter lifting up and down.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***