900 GT - screen. By Jingo I think I have solved it !!!! (for me)

stringman

A little bit of back story first.

I own a 19 900GT, prior to that I have owned a 15 Tracer and a 17 Tracer.

Never really gelled with the 1st tracer but didnt really own it long enough to iron out the niggles.

Bought the 17 and it came with a Puig touring screen- looked pretty ugly but was really functional. visor open at 90 with no problem ( in fact the wind shut the visor before I had to!)

That bike sadly got written off and I ended up with a 19 reg 900GT.

This came with a Puig Touring screen with visor (but wasnt fitted) and the stock screen, also with a visor. This was fitted to the bike and the journey home was a 200mile nightmare.

This became a whole series of experiments and tweaks to try and get the bike as good as the older model!

I tried the Puig with the visor- it was good but so tall I couldnt see over it (especially with the visor, and as it was smoked that made filtered more difficult. 

I then tried the stock screen with every permutation of height and visor position- all crap.

Remember my main criteria was no helmet buffering and visor open as long as possible.

I tried re drilling the old stock screen- still crap.

I researched and researched and bought a MRA variable. again tried every permutation of height and visor.

Better but still not as good as the old bike. I then started putting spacers between the screen and mount to change the angle.

To be honest I gave up and started doing other things to the bike.

These included the lower (35mm) Rizomer bars tilted forward by 1 marking and the anti slope mod.

The suspension was changed to Ohlins rear shock, and Andreani cartridges. The bike felt much sportier and my position changed to a slightly more forward stance.

Then for some unknown reason I fitted the puig touring screen without the visor.

Bloody hell- that was it visor open until 90 with no crying. no buffeting and, although there is wind noise is clean rushing not roaring.

The smoked screen still annoys me on my commute so I will probably buy a clear screen.

But all in all I cant believe it.

For reference I am 5ft 8 and wear a neotec 2.

only problem was that the sat nav blocks part of the screen and the faster you go the more it blocks.

But I have cured that - will post about that seperately

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, stringman said:

Bought the 17 and it came with a Puig touring screen- looked pretty ugly but was really functional. visor open at 90 with no problem

First modification I made to mine when I bought it was the PUIG touring screen. In agreement with all your comments,  Don't particularly like the aesthetics but function is so much better. I did feel that the top heavy look of the screen had to be balanced by sticking a beak on it. I did find the big screen very uncomfortable on my last wee camping trip when the temperature got into the low to mid thirties, Just as well we don't see that happening much where I hail from.

Screen and beak.jpg

2 hours ago, stringman said:

Ahhh as my wife says, 3 inches makes all the difference!

That reminds me of a cigarette ad from the 70s; just 1mm longer.

I must be lucky as that the stock screen works for me at 5'10" and it is in the middle of the adjustment range.  I use a Nolan 100-5 modular helmet and can listen to music at normal volume on my SENA 50S while traveling at 75+mph.  Also when I get a phone call, the caller can't tell if I'm on the bike.

I've been through 3 different screens on my GT900.

The Yamaha Touring screen was first, didn't seem to make much difference to me.

Here in the UK we don't need to worry about the heat so the tall Puig touring screen did a great job, but looked bloody awful (IMO).

Then tried a much smaller screen, the MRA SPorst screen and BINGO! works great.

IMG_3470.JPG