XR 1200 - Thoughts from the masses?

texscottyd

• Supporting Member
On 3/4/2023 at 9:45 AM, texscottyd said:

And so it came to pass, after I became so confident of my new XR’s reliability, that I decided to take an extended ride…  

One ride of 100+ miles, and one mechanical failure.   😀   (Hey, it’s just teething pains when sorting out a 14 year old motorcycle, right?) 

A clutch cable decided it was no longer in the mood to participate in the fun, leaving me about 120 miles from home, and pondering what to do about my predicament.   But momma didn’t raise no quitter, so I decided to just ride it home… I mean, who really NEEDS a clutch anyway?   For future reference:  It is impossible to find neutral in a Harley gearbox without a clutch, with the engine running.   

I plotted a route home that tried to minimize the need to come to a full stop, but there were still several times when it was unavoidable:  Slowly roll to a near stop in first gear, thumb the kill switch to shut off the motor, find neutral with a dead engine, restart, then ‘paddle and stomp’ when it was time to get rolling again.   Not elegant, but I made it home intact.

There were a couple of I’ll just low-speed cruise the parking lot moments when I mistimed the lights, but stubbornly refused to quit rolling… good times!  🤘 

0A187395-122E-4B59-B435-0C00EFE52DAD.thumb.jpeg.1ac0a5744bb8c0fd2525db13fbefd197.jpeg

CDCC2CAC-2FDD-47A3-A13F-17A8800FE523.thumb.jpeg.51a1c113676ecb2b9e27c110d679ab98.jpeg

My driveway has never looked so inviting: 

0F3AD456-5ECD-43B8-A1B6-7CB264525106.thumb.jpeg.913d184a675523990ad74d52b8d881d6.jpeg

In the H-D’s defense, my FJ did exactly the same thing to me once before, so… 🤷‍♂️

Woohoo!  Nothing like taking the bit between the teeth, having a crack while throwing in some lateral thinking to ultimately defeat the 'enemy'!  Well done. 

I doff my hat in respect for you sir.👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 3/3/2023 at 6:45 PM, texscottyd said:

A clutch cable decided it was no longer in the mood to participate in the fun, leaving me about 120 miles from home, and pondering what to do about my predicament.   But momma didn’t raise no quitter, so I decided to just ride it home…

Good job limping the bike home. 😎

Reminded me to finally get that clutch cable repair kit. I've been meaning to stick one in my tool kit for years. This YT video is good for a few chuckles.

• Like 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

It lives, after a back-ordered clutch cable from Milwaukee finally arrived.  So today, on the Memorial Day holiday here in the US, it seemed like the right time to take some American Iron out for a ride.  

I stand 100% behind my earlier assessment:  It’s heavy, slow, crude, and incredibly engaging to ride.  I’m shocked by how much I like this thing! 

IMG_6955.thumb.jpeg.71647b6c4d85c928fb85b1b17867e9b7.jpeg

IMG_6966.thumb.jpeg.c813990d51e845c78f78e96592ff8892.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Because I’m impulsive and make bad financial decisions, I really want to put 17” wheels on the XR1200.    I found this picture of a similar XR on traditional spoked wheels, and I really like it… right in line with the street tracker theme.  

IMG_7252.thumb.jpeg.0700a6c2256dd865a4307b39943b3dd8.jpeg

What are your thoughts?   The other options include Dymags ($$$) and BST carbons ($$$$++) 

• Thumbsup 4

4 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Because I’m impulsive and make bad financial decisions, I really want to put 17” wheels on the XR1200.    I found this picture of a similar XR on traditional spoked wheels, and I really like it… right in line with the street tracker theme.  

IMG_7252.thumb.jpeg.0700a6c2256dd865a4307b39943b3dd8.jpeg

What are your thoughts?   The other options include Dymags ($$$) and BST carbons ($$$$++) 

Yes yes yes.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a 2012 all black. I was coming off sportbikes and thought this would give me more comfort with some sportiness. It was at the shop under warranty 4-5 times and wasn’t what I thought. I didn’t keep it long should have bought a fz-1. 

IMG_0295.png

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, CPD419 said:

I had a 2012 all black. I was coming off sportbikes and thought this would give me more comfort with some sportiness. It was at the shop under warranty 4-5 times and wasn’t what I thought. I didn’t keep it long should have bought a fz-1. 

I totally understand that, and think that it would have been a tough sell for me to buy the XR as a new bike, and/or as an only bike.   There are many more options out there that make so much more sense.   I traded my well-sorted Aprilia Mille R for this one, so it’s a big swing away from my hardcore sport bike background.  

But, I’ve really been enjoying this tractor’s quirky charms.   It’s the third bike in my rotation, and probably won’t see more than about 2K miles a year.   It seems to have most of the gremlins sorted out, had a lot of expensive upgrades already done, and just seems to suit me.  I honestly never thought I would own a Harley, but I’m happy - so far…😀 - that this one crossed my path.   

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

The wire wheels sure look good on the XR. Check out Stortz Performance. They hav wire wheels and chain conversion kits for XR💲💲

• Thanks 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

The wire wheels sure look good on the XR. Check out Stortz Performance. They hav wire wheels and chain conversion kits for XR💲💲

Those actually are the Storz Performance wheels in that photo, so we’re thinking the same thoughts.  😀  About $1,000 less than the Dymags, and the more I look at it, the more I like the look of the wire wheels.   

Did you do the chain drive conversion on yours?  I think I’m perfectly happy with the belt, but would love to hear pros & cons of other options. 

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Those actually are the Storz Performance wheels in that photo, so we’re thinking the same thoughts.  😀  About $1,000 less than the Dymags, and the more I look at it, the more I like the look of the wire wheels.   

Did you do the chain drive conversion on yours?  I think I’m perfectly happy with the belt, but would love to hear pros & cons of other options. 

No, I did not do the chain conversion, but it sure looks good. The only thing I think I remember about problems with the conversion is chain sliders have to be added or the chain and swingarm don't play well together, especially when the rear suspension is raised. Stortz can give you the details on that.

I would like to pick up a set of wire wheels also and keep my 17" Marchesini in reserve, Stuff is sure starting to get hard to find and expensive for our XR'S.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• 5 months later...