DIY Tail Bag Quick Mount

My 15 FJ has the OE rear rack and top case. I like the quick release feature of it but only have it on the bike when I need to haul something large or use as a pillion backrest. I prefer my small Givi tail bag with emergency tools, cable lock and misc. But due to the time to install it with the 3 straps, I found myself sometimes leaving it behind. I wanted some kind of tail bag quick release so could install it in the same 10 seconds it takes to mount the top case.

So here is my "plywood on a bike...are you kidding me" solution. I made a plywood base that the bag stays attached to that has tabs in the front like the OE top case and is secured to the rack with an eyebolt requiring no tools. I used a metal construction strap under the rack, mounted with existing rack bolts that does not interfere with the top case locking mechanism. At the drilled hole through the ply base underneath the tail bag, I have a tee nut hammered into the wood that the eyebolt screws in to.

I added a brake/tail light to my top case and so I also added a strip LED light on this one, at the curve of the plywood base. For tail bag anti-theft, the eyebolt can serve double-duty as my cable lock can run through it when I lock up my helmet or jacket. 

Pics are of the mounted bag with the eyebolt, top view of rack showing metal strap and underside of ply base. Total cost: $1 for the tee nut and $4 for the LED stop light. I had the rest.

FJ rack 1.jpg

fj rack 2.jpg

fj rack 3.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member

I do too.  In principle at least.  I have the same/similar setup.  i.e., Instead of a Givi tail bag mine is an SW Motech one but very similar by the looks.  It is held on by its own strapping setup ATM and is fiddley to get on and off when washing bike for example.   Also got an aftermarket hard top box that has its own base that it locks down to.

Hmmm, might have to steal your idea to utilise the existing lockable base to make for easy on/off as you have done.

I wonder if a 3D printed option attached to the SW-Motech bag might work??  Maybe too big for my hobby printer??

OK... I'm off to the shed with callipers and tape measure in hand.

Thanks for the idea. 👍

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

On a couple of my other bikes I just leave on the Nelso Rigg older version of their Commuter tail bag that is strapped under the saddle.  I lock the zippers  sometimes but usually don't given I'm usually out in the boonies but someone can just cut the straps or snip with a big pair of dykes the little locks shackle.

They do sell locking wire safety nets.

Mine stay on the saddle when I pop it off and I don't use water to clean my bikes usually, and when I do it's below the saddle line.

• Thumbsup 1

Good luck on a 3D print option. I may be on the lookout for some kind of plastic base to replace the plywood.

I thought the eye bolt would be more concealed up underneath the rear rack, but really wasn't. So got a clamping knob from the local hardware store instead. Still working fine and happy to no longer having to find a place to shove the strap excess so they are not flapping around.

61DqZMZq3aL._AC_UY218_.jpg.273a3bdc46808e361b033655f9c3193a.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Brian said:

Good luck on a 3D print option. I may be on the lookout for some kind of plastic base to replace the plywood.

I thought the eye bolt would be more concealed up underneath the rear rack, but really wasn't. So got a clamping knob from the local hardware store instead. Still working fine and happy to no longer having to find a place to shove the strap excess so they are not flapping around.

61DqZMZq3aL._AC_UY218_.jpg.273a3bdc46808e361b033655f9c3193a.jpg

I like the clamping knob option.  It would make for a neater 'look' and less obvious to the casual thief too I imagine.

Looks good. 👍

• Thumbsup 1