Yoshimura full system for '19-'20 Tracer 900 GT

Warchild

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks Oz but do you have more pics of the large hole to the upper left you cut in the partition between the rear chamber and middle chamber; and did you drill that small (size?) In the upper right?

Also any dimensions and pointers would be much appreciated.

It is stainless steel correct?

I was planning on using my Mig welder with Argon and a touch of Co2 but need to know what wire to use.  It appears you used stick (with what rod?).

You did a great job.

How's it sound?

The hole in the right I think was already there, if not than it's not needed.

I had never seen one done so it was a bit of an experiment.

They are the only pictures I took.

The left side is a square opening directly behind the cat, it's square because it was easier to cut out this way.

I just drilled four corners with a stepped drill bit, than used the reciprocating saw to cut it out.

Just be very careful to only push in the reciprocating blade just deep enough as you need to cut it, as the cat is close to the divider and can be damaged if you stick it in too far.

All stainless, I also got it mig welded at the local muffler shop which charged me AU$50.

I am more than happy with how it turned out, sounds much better and doesn't drone.

• Premium Member

Thanks very much for your input and photos.

Quick question with your last photo. I didn't realize there were 2 pipes that are short that enter the rear chamber. You don't touch either of those it seems.

And when you cut the hole from the rear chamber to the middle chamber, it appears there's about 4" (100+/- mm) from that partition (bulhead) to the next bulkhead to the front chamber and about 2.5" (64 mm) to the rear end of the cat tube, which appears to be 3.35" (80 mm) in diameter.  Is that correct?

I do see partially in your below photo the end of the cat tube you must avoid with the reciprocating saw.  Your above photo with the entire half "shell" removed is great.

My real question is you did not somehow remove the cat or weld back up your square hole??

Cheers 

F57E455E-1E86-461E-83FA-F62CC0736692.thumb.jpeg.a3f2650b4bb519e4d1c16d19cbd3d5d5.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks very much for your input and photos.

Quick question with your last photo. I didn't realize there were 2 pipes that are short that enter the rear chamber. You don't touch either of those it seems.

And when you cut the hole from the rear chamber to the middle chamber, it appears there's about 4" (100+/- mm) from that partition (bulhead) to the next bulkhead to the front chamber and about 2.5" (64 mm) to the rear end of the cat tube, which appears to be 3.35" (80 mm) in diameter.  Is that correct?

I do see partially in your below photo the end of the cat tube you must avoid with the reciprocating saw.  Your above photo with the entire half "shell" removed is great.

My real question is you did not somehow remove the cat or weld back up your square hole??

Cheers 

F57E455E-1E86-461E-83FA-F62CC0736692.thumb.jpeg.a3f2650b4bb519e4d1c16d19cbd3d5d5.jpeg.jpg

I didn’t remove the cat as I prefer to leave it. No I didn’t reweld the square hole. 
iI saw no need to remove any internal pipes as the cat now dumps directly to the chamber with the exit pipe. 
You could do major surgery to remove weight, but as I said, I like to keep things simple. 
The whole job took me 30 minutes, plus picking it up from muffler shop and re installing it. 

• Like 1

I’ll add the obvious, you just need to remove the S bend as well. 
The original muffler has the cat exiting at the middle chamber, a short pipe connects middle chamber to rear chamber. 
Then a longer pipe connects rear chamber to front chamber, exit pipe goes through the S bend all the way to the front chamber with a pipe that varies in diameter. 
No other material inside muffler. 
It’s not light, but not as heavy as my old 1050 Sprint stock muffler and it’s carried low. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

A lot going on in there, positive and negative pressure waves at work, resonance frequencies reversing in the same pipe.

The best aftermarket full system only add a few hp and '#s without opening up on the intake side, so while heavy they did a good job.

I wonder if we are hurting power with this mod.  A before and after dyno run would be required. 

Wonder if a custom flash would also be a good idea.

Sound wise it's the least expensive! 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

A lot going on in there, positive and negative pressure waves at work, resonance frequencies reversing in the same pipe.

The best aftermarket full system only add a few hp and '#s without opening up on the intake side, so while heavy they did a good job.

I wonder if we are hurting power with this mod.  A before and after dyno run would be required. 

Wonder if a custom flash would also be a good idea.

Sound wise it's the least expensive! 

I’ve always considered myself as very intune with what’s happening with any of my bikes. 
I can pick up the slightest change in everything from a couple of psi change to my front tyre, to any new noise or feeling on the bike. 
Obviously without a dyno it’s impossible to be sure, but I can’t detect any loss of power or acceleration. So if there’s a drop, it’s not enough for me to tell. 
Sounds bloody awesome though. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, OZVFR said:

I’ve always considered myself as very intune with what’s happening with any of my bikes. 
I can pick up the slightest change in everything from a couple of psi change to my front tyre, to any new noise or feeling on the bike. 
Obviously without a dyno it’s impossible to be sure, but I can’t detect any loss of power or acceleration. So if there’s a drop, it’s not enough for me to tell. 
Sounds bloody awesome though. 

Hey, not a criticism but you logically should consider it. 

"A man's gotta know his limitations."

On 11/13/2022 at 3:57 PM, Warchild said:

I convinced myself early on that I would just leave the stock exhaust alone - but you know how that goes... 😆

I was bummed to learn that many (but not all) aftermarket exhaust systems only work without a center-stand. Others had a high upswept canister angle that is not friendly to the factory hard cases.  But then I learned that Yamaha had licensed Yoshimura to manufacture a full exhaust system specific to my model-year GT, that allows full use of center-stand and factory bags. The 'Y-Series" part number for it is:

YoshPartNumber.png.de76d8281944ced74813a0ebe50e1147.png

Unfortunately, Yoshimura has long ago ceased production of this specific model exhaust, since the bike itself changed drastically in the 2021 model year. Happily, my awesome Parts Manager at my dealer has strong ties with the Yamaha Supply system in Georgia, where there were still eight (8) of these full exhaust systems sitting on a shelf, still NIB. 

Now there are only 7, 'cuz I scored one of these NIB Yosh full exhaust systems, now sitting in my garage - it's one of several winter projects:

Yosh_label.thumb.jpg.239707119ce62dd45547f91235bbf9e2.jpg

It may be a while I get to the installation - I am still riding as long as snow stays away.

Dunno what you paid, but the Dominator system is pretty much exactly the same and probably costs a third of the Yoshi

Edited by Turd Ferguson

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Dunno what you paid, but the Dominator system is pretty much exactly the same and probably costs a third of the Yoshi

Interesting do you have a source for the dominator system and I have the specific model number thanks

It's pretty but damn, the Yoshi system is sooooo expensive.  I just can't justify ~$1200USD for an exhaust system where this:

image.thumb.png.783d95c3543e4eb8ca12aa98a09aa762.png

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/mt09-mt-09-tracer-tracer-gt-de-cat-exhaust-system--300mm-tri-oval-black-carbon-tip-silencer-20897-p.asp

is £349.99 / $437USD.  I've run Black Widow systems before too, always had an excellent experience with them.

That Works finish is pretty snazzy, though; I'm curious how well it holds up to abuse?

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...

FINALLY got around to installing the Y series Yoshimura pipe I bought back in November yesterday afternoon. Not an awful install, I’ve had worse on much smaller items, but I’ll add a couple notes that may have been covered already:

- It’s a big, one piece stock pipe so getting it off is a tick tricky. I tried it on the centerstand, then off, then back on and successfully got it off with it off the centerstand. It would be easiest to remove the pipe with it completely off, but it will come out with it still on. 
- The hardest thing was getting the muffler clamp attached to the bracket with the pipe on the bike like the directions stated. I did it by removing one of the mounting bolts on the black bracket and leaving it very loose, then putting it all together, also loosely and tightening everything back up. Fiddly, but now that I’ve done it would be easier. 
- I normally replace the exhaust gaskets on a new pipe but the directions said to reuse the old ones and they were not the typical crushed and deformed shape I see on bikes so I didn’t swap. If I need to, I have 3 in the toolbox but so far so good. 
- Fit was great, sounds good and looks to have a removable baffle but it sounds good as is.

I highly recommend the Y series pipe if you can find one. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 7:10 PM, Wintersdark said:

It's pretty but damn, the Yoshi system is sooooo expensive.  I just can't justify ~$1200USD for an exhaust system where this:

image.thumb.png.783d95c3543e4eb8ca12aa98a09aa762.png

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/mt09-mt-09-tracer-tracer-gt-de-cat-exhaust-system--300mm-tri-oval-black-carbon-tip-silencer-20897-p.asp

is £349.99 / $437USD.  I've run Black Widow systems before too, always had an excellent experience with them.

That Works finish is pretty snazzy, though; I'm curious how well it holds up to abuse?

I have a 2017 FJ-09 that I'd like to keep and have to sell. Adding this would add significantly to the "keep" column on the tally sheet. How did you like it?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 6:37 PM, banditryder said:

I have a 2017 FJ-09 that I'd like to keep and have to sell. Adding this would add significantly to the "keep" column on the tally sheet. How did you like it?

Sorry I missed this.

I don't have one on my Tracer currently, it's been on the list for a while but it keeps getting pushed back for other stuff as I was outfitting my Tenere.  It's getting one this weekend.

With that said, I know people who have them on Tracers, and I had one on my MT07.  I absolutely love them.

image.thumb.jpeg.fff401886a09c78f46902f77044a6bf4.jpeg

(what, don't you transport cheesecakes on your motorcycles?)

They sound amazing, sound great, look great, are made of good quality materials and well put together with great welds... and are cheap.  What's not to like?  

This winter for my Tracer for sure, though.  I ride in the winter, including in slushy brine, and while that's fine for most of the bike my stock headers are absolutely trashed now, so it's definitely time. 

Edit: Pictured is the 230mm Carbon Fiber GP Style w/ Blued Tip.  It looks awesome, but it is loud. I kept it with the baffle in, which was fairly loud but not pain inducing.  Without the baffle it's like 100db+.  For reference, the 300+mm cans are significantly quieter (they have a larger diameter as well as more length), though still louder than stock.  400mm with a baffle in is roughly as loud as stock.

Edited by Wintersdark

• 1 month later...