Braided brake lines

Darren69

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Spiegler really leading the suggestions! No HEL comments which surprises me a bit.

I’m pretty sure the HEL set reuses the factory hard lines, which means A LOT more fittings and relative pain & torture to fit.   I recall someone doing it, and not feeling like the proverbial ‘view was worth the climb’ 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Spiegler really leading the suggestions! No HEL comments which surprises me a bit.

7 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I’m pretty sure the HEL set reuses the factory hard lines, which means A LOT more fittings and relative pain & torture to fit.   I recall someone doing it, and not feeling like the proverbial ‘view was worth the climb’ 

That someone would be me Tex - (The saga described here) And yes, their kit uses seven lines and re-uses the hard lines under the tank.

It definitely was a PITA to install the interfacing lines to the hard ones but the quality of the HEL product was top notch so can't fault them there.

And just to be clear, HEL does offer a 'custom' order where you can simply tell them the line length and fitting you require and they will make a 'kit' up for you so you could have the five line kit if desired.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

And how may one do that precisely before removing the oem lines?

As Ludwig Mies van der Rohe is famously credited with saying "Less is more."

Don't think it would be too hard to measure 2plus3 as those hard lines run along the inside of the frame where you can see/feel them as you know.  You could measure along the outside and get it damn near right.  The lines that would replace them can have some 'fiddle factor' and don't have to be within a 'few thou' to work perfectly.

In fact if you'd changed your handlebars and the height of same you may be better off going the custom route.  I have changed my handlebars from OEM and adjusted the height as well and found that my 'kit' lines were a tad short and I had to adjust things accordingly so.......

• Supporting Member
On 3/14/2023 at 8:41 PM, Darren69 said:

Spiegler really leading the suggestions!

Probably your best option if you want to have a good time doing this. I made Galfer work on my FJ... but the kit was lacking.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
On 3/15/2023 at 11:53 PM, dazzler24 said:

Don't think it would be too hard to measure 2plus3 as those hard lines run along the inside of the frame where you can see/feel them as you know.  You could measure along the outside and get it damn near right.  The lines that would replace them can have some 'fiddle factor' and don't have to be within a 'few thou' to work perfectly.

In fact if you'd changed your handlebars and the height of same you may be better off going the custom route.  I have changed my handlebars from OEM and adjusted the height as well and found that my 'kit' lines were a tad short and I had to adjust things accordingly so.......

# 1 when it comes to brakes, like many things, only right is right.

Being long can be usually easily managed; short, not so easily. 

I've swapped bars 3 times and am now on the Treet Nakeds but also first went to Superbike bars.  The only minor nterference I have with the Speiglers is the front brake line running under the huge KTM Adventure hand guards to the R1  Brembo radial master cylinder; both my mods.