Side stand angle?

I've had my bike loaded heavily on trips and when putting it on the side stand, due to its location on this bike, it can lift the front tire off the ground or damn near unload it even on relatively flat ground.   Not sure why the side stand is so odd on these bikes, but it is not prone to falling to the right side, that's for sure. 

The foot of the stand sits too close to the centre line of the bike, this affects it more than the length. 

Bad design and not much can be done. 

I have toyed with the idea of making a new bracket with bigger angle, but not sure how it will sit in the up position. 

Even worse when there is a slight camber at the edge of the road, I couldn't lift the bike off the side stand when i was sitting on the bike and had to get off push the bike upright and push it a few yards to a flat bit of road.

FILE0584.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

Mine has adjustable side stand and I assume the previous owner fitted. I too was uncomfortable with the amount of lean but have adjusted the stand and will add a bigger foot in due course.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

As mentioned earlier, the stock side stand is hollow. I had mine shortened by cutting it and inserting a steel rod inside to re-join the two pieces. After having it powder-coated it was like new and worked better for my set-up. The same process could be used to lenghten a side stand. 

To find how much you need to add to yours, get some pieces of plywood and stack them under your side stand foot till you have the correct lean. Then measure the stack.

Side Stand Adjustment

Edited by Heli ATP
  • Thumbsup 1