Good bye

Well guys, my time on the FJ has come to an end. Her new owner just took her away, leaving an empty slot in the garage.  She and I were friends, but we never became besties. We had a lot of good times, but she needed to be with someone who would not stop thinking about her. 

She did teach me one thing, that I really like the riding position. So much so that the empty slot in the garage will soon be taken up by a new R1250GS I just bought. 

This has been a fun and useful forum, thank you all for being a good group to chat with.  

You all take care, enjoy your rides, and be safe. I'll see myself out...

PXL_20230425_012951430.jpg

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

ooOOoo enjoy that BMW!!

...and don't be afraid to pop in and share some stories and pics now and again.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

It’s fun to change up your ride every few years.  And you can’t go wrong with a Bmr!

Just remember it’s HEAVY!  :)

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

12 minutes ago, nhchris said:

It’s fun to change up your ride every few years.  And you can’t go wrong with a Bmr!

Just remember it’s HEAVY!  :)

It's really not for what it is, quite the opposite actually. 

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Yeah, those BMWs are kinda... fluffy? 

For something that looks about the size of an office building from ahead or from the saddle, they're not quite as heavy as they look, and the weight is very, very low. The visual bulk up high is mostly plastic, but the actual heavy metal bits are all down low. Very odd at first.

Still, they certainly are quite a bit heavier than an FJ-09.

FWIW, I sold my V-Strom two years ago and I still pop in to that forum occasionally. Motorcycling forums are communities, not exclusive clubs with bouncers or excommunication rituals.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, bwringer said:

Motorcycling forums are communities, not exclusive clubs with bouncers or excommunication rituals.

True, although I’m starting to think this ‘Motus MST’ tattoo wasn’t the smartest idea… 🤷‍♂️

Enjoy the new GS @maximo!  I hope you truly bond with it. 

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Just looked it up and its 550 lbs wet.  Not as heavy as I would have guessed but 25% more than my lil FJ.

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

Don’t judge a bike by a number on a spec sheet, judge it by the test ride.
My VFR weighs 630# fully gassed up, but the test ride sold me instantly. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, bwringer said:

Motorcycling forums are communities, not exclusive clubs with bouncers or excommunication rituals.

Agreed... traded my '15 FJ-09 in for a Multistrada 1260s and I'm still around and contribute from time to time.

I hope you enjoy your GS. Great bikes. Feel free to drop in and help a forum member with advice if you see fit.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On 4/24/2023 at 9:47 PM, maximo said:

Well guys, my time on the FJ has come to an end. Her new owner just took her away, leaving an empty slot in the garage.  She and I were friends, but we never became besties. We had a lot of good times, but she needed to be with someone who would not stop thinking about her. 

She did teach me one thing, that I really like the riding position. So much so that the empty slot in the garage will soon be taken up by a new R1250GS I just bought. 

This has been a fun and useful forum, thank you all for being a good group to chat with.  

You all take care, enjoy your rides, and be safe. I'll see myself out...

PXL_20230425_012951430.jpg

Well, you rarely get an owner of a new bike saying that they don't like it better than the old one, but perhaps we will get a more forthright comparison in a couple of years!  
I went from an R1200GS Rallye to the Tracer and couldn't be happier.  Although everyone says that the weight on a Beemer is down low, just wait until you make an emergency stop while on an angle (in a turn) and tell me how "low" that weight feels.  Happened to me twice and that was enough to find a more manageable ride for me.  The seat was good, the wind protection was really good, and the standing position was really good.  The "Get to the dealer!" warnings flashing on the TFT screen...really annoying.  The rear wheel failure in first three months of ownership...also annoying.  Damn I miss that thing..... 🫤

• Thumbsup 2

15 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Well, you rarely get an owner of a new bike saying that they don't like it better than the old one, but perhaps we will get a more forthright comparison in a couple of years!  
I went from an R1200GS Rallye to the Tracer and couldn't be happier.  Although everyone says that the weight on a Beemer is down low, just wait until you make an emergency stop while on an angle (in a turn) and tell me how "low" that weight feels.  Happened to me twice and that was enough to find a more manageable ride for me.  The seat was good, the wind protection was really good, and the standing position was really good.  The "Get to the dealer!" warnings flashing on the TFT screen...really annoying.  The rear wheel failure in first three months of ownership...also annoying.  Damn I miss that thing..... 🫤

It is really informative for me.

Thanks

Edited by denisa

On 4/25/2023 at 10:49 PM, Jayzonk said:

I've heard the same thing from others!

I know two or three riders at least who have been repeatedly pulled into BMW ownership by the amazing machines, then pushed out by dealer BS, mechanical issues, and sometimes the oddball community.... then pulled right back in again because the bikes are incredible when they're working. Rinse and repeat.

Some people get comfortable with BMW, and find the bike that really works for them, and some never do. 

In any case, that's none of our business, and I hope the OP has some amazing adventures and nothing but great experiences.

• Thumbsup 2