Riding for pie

Kemp

13 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

I was up there on 2 wheels last weekend, too, around Mountain View.  A little different experience.

You are better than me. I need to be pedaling, but, dang, Mountain View? Some of those inclines had to be killers on a bicycle!

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

I was up there on 2 wheels last weekend, too, around Mountain View.  A little different experience.

Nice! Another gravel rider too! What bike are you riding?

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Oh no! Another bicycle heist 

I guess if you stop for pie as a reward too 😎

I used to spin on roads a buck fifty a week

Which may not sound like many miles but I ONLY did it begrudgingly at already 53 to cross-train for motorcycling.

On 2007-01-01 it almost killed me

And this after riding a motorcycle for 35 years at that point in my life.

Bottom line, bicycles are more dangerous than motorcycles...

Edited by 2and3cylinders
Less confusing?
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Kemp said:

You are better than me. I need to be pedaling, but, dang, Mountain View? Some of those inclines had to be killers on a bicycle!

Steepest was about 20% grade.  It was not a fast ride.

20 hours ago, robzilla said:

Nice! Another gravel rider too! What bike are you riding?

A new-to-me 2020 Salsa Warbird bought from another bicyclist I've been riding with for the past year.  He's built it up really nicely.  I've got a set of road wheels on order with the plan that this will replace both my Specialized Tarmac and frankenbike gravel bike (Specialized Carve frame with flared drop bars and a mix of road and mountain parts including 105 11 speed shifters and XT 10 speed derailleurs) with just a wheel swap.

It was lucky I brought the Warbird because even though the maps and Ride with GPS showed 100% paved, it was about 50% paved for the weekend.

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:20 AM, 1moreroad said:

Crowley's Ridge is fun.  Cross at Helena instead of Memphis and ride up through the National Forest then the Ridge roughly parallels AR-1 just a little to the east.  Good way to get to Jonesboro.  There is also a lot of good riding on Farm to Market roads west of Cape Girardeau between the AR-MO state line and Tom Sauk state park.

I've looked at going across at Helena several times.  Haven't done it as usually trying to get west as quickly as I can but a trip just to that area or nearby would be good.  

North of Hardy have to be patient, totally agree!  If light traffic can be fun thru there but there is always "that vehicle"!  I have seen folks pass on blind curves thru there and run across at least one crazy person out to do bad stuff to others.  I don't like Memphis as it is fast and crazy drivers - yea I can go fast but don't like real fast plus crazy which seems to be a speciality of most big cities.  

Last two years I've gone north to Michigan to visit my sister then to the UP and west from there.  3 years ago stayed at the KOA in West Memphis and it was nice and the ride from there home was about 300 miles and not bad.

Time to get the maps out and start looking.

Yes!  20 minutes away and there a lot, IndyCar race weekend was great. Will be there for the BMW club this weekend.  LOL my wife will not let me take my bike on track except a parade lap - too many pics of motorcycle crashes.  Last year during the last race of Vintage Festival she was next to the ARMCO at Charlotte's Web when a couple of bikes got together at the start of the brake zone.  A high speed crash with both bike ending up deep in the gravel all the way from the top of the hill at the first brake marker.  She had a front row seat and while she has seen bike crashes it was the first violent high speed crash she has seen.  Both riders were OK but one took a bit to wake up.  All hope of my getting to do a track day vanished - but I still get to take long trips by myself.  

• Thumbsup 1