IBA In-State Saddlesore 5000

2linby

Planning on Running a IBA In-State Saddlesore 5000 the week after next. Five states leaving from Oregon and riding through California, Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada then returning back home. Each state 1000 miles inside the state within 24 hours, five times in a row.   Total trip with start and finish miles is slightly over 5800 miles in a total of seven days. Already did a In-State SS1000 Oregon a BBG1500 Oregon. A BBG1500 Montana and a SS2000 on my 2016 FJ09 as well as dozens of other IBA  and endurance rallies on my old 2001 Concours  ZG1000. I'll have my spot tracker on and try to link it to the forum for anyone wanting to see our progress. Longest Ride between gas stations is 187 miles and longest planned day is 17 hours of riding with the assumption of good traffic, weather and no major construction delays. Using the interstates but most of the ride will be on state highways. Hoping for 6 hours hotel sleep in-between rides. Bike has New PR5's on the bike and plan on early morning starts to minimize dark hours riding to 2-3 hours max. Bike set up with McCruise control, RTIC gallon water jug, highway lights, highway pegs, custom saddle, Cardo headset, Spot Tracker, Garmin Zumo, Countdown timer, Camera and phone holder. Also have analog maps in case the electronics go fubar. Saddle bags and tail trunk with cooler attached to the back seat. Riding with a experienced LD buddy who is riding a similarly outfitted Concours 1300.  Wish us luck! (psst. Luck favors the prepared). Updates to follow. 

Edited by 2linby
spelling
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 1 month later...

Made the ride. 5 days 5 states 1000+ miles  each state all under 24 hours each. Total of 5420 miles. From my home door to door seven days 6100+ miles. Paperwork is in for IBA certifications.  Hail storm in Idaho, Deer in Nevada, thunderstorms in Nevada, Idaho and Utah. Temps from 30 degrees in Kanab Utah and 96 in Needles CA. 

Pic's below are start in Yreka, CA and end in McDermitt NV.  My riding buddy, Woody is 76 years old and kicked ass! 

We really didn't have time for pictures, but here's a couple. Once off the interstate the country was freaking incredibly beautiful!  Ave price per gallon $4.504 high of almost $7.00 in Needles , CA and lowest price of just over $4.00 in Arizona. A spirited pace yielded Average MPG 39.515 and total gas was $562.45. Spent about 4-6 hours sleep at each stop/start hotel. We could have just rode the interstates but decided to make it more of a challenge and utilized as many State routes as possible.

Yreka, CA.jpg

McDermit, NV.jpg

Bob Pappalardo & Woodie Krugel, MCDermit, NV End of  NV SS1000.jpg

image3.jpeg

image6-2.jpeg

Woody and Me Nevada Desert.jpg

Edited by 2linby
spelling
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Unbelievable! 

I'm lucky I can run a 250 mile day and manage to dismount and push the FJ into the shop when I get home.

In my yute even 650 mile days wre pushing it but I was on my VTR.

I bought the FJ to tour on sportily but my bod had, has other ideas. 😞

But props to you and more so Woody.

I have a bud who's 73 and 3 times the rider I am but he is a super health nut.

• 3 months later...

Four months waiting for my certification AND! Two days ago I received the acknowledgment from the IBA on the SS5000. Actual Certificate to follow!

IBA Ride Certification - Database update confirmation

Congratulations on a great ride.This note is to confirm that your ride has been approved and updated in the IBA's ride database.

SaddleSore 5000 
(#15041)    06-Jun-2023    5,291miles (US)    Yamaha FJ-09

Michael Kneebone
Iron Butt Association President

• Thumbsup 3