Rear axle cocked

lather

After doing my first chain slack adjustment I noticed the square on the axle is not flat against the adjustment slider. I assume this happened when I torqued the nut. Is there a trick to preventing this?

12 minutes ago, lather said:

the square on the axle is not flat against the adjustment slider. 

Did you get the axle shoved forward with a jammer (or screwdriver between chain and sprocket).

If that's not it - the soft aluminum deformed

RD8PyVN.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

No it does not look nearly thar bad. There is no deformation that I can see of the slider. The square of my axle is slightly not flush with the slider, as if it is rotated a degree or two. Also, my slider looks different in design from the one in the picture.

I will post a picture when I get home.

2 hours ago, lather said:

I did not use anything.

...The square of my axle is slightly not flush with the slider, as if it is rotated a degree or two.

OK, sounds like you just didn't have the wheel shoved forward enough.

That is what the sprocket jammer is for. Some people use a screwdriver, an open end wrench. Just put some tension by pushing the wheel around by hand, doesn't take a lot of force.

3 hours ago, lather said:

I will redo in the morning with a screwdriver but also order the jammer tool for future use.

Or just shove a rag in there, no need for a silly tool.

• Thumbsup 4

8 hours ago, lather said:

After doing my first chain slack adjustment I noticed the square on the axle is not flat against the adjustment slider. I assume this happened when I torqued the nut. Is there a trick to preventing this?

I see. I don't have the 2022 model, but if you are happy with your chain slack, and alignment, I would leave it as is.

Tracer axle 2022.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 2

10 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Or just shove a rag in there, no need for a silly tool.

Or just use the rear brake. 
There’s always someone coming up with a piece of crap tool that’s not needed. 
I would never put that much strain on the chain or sprocket when there’s no need for it. 
I use a strap around my brake pedal and centre stand to apply pressure, then nothing moves. 

• Thumbsup 2

Mine does the same but it's not really a problem as long as your wheel alignment and chain slack are good.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

2 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Or just use the rear brake. 

...I would never put that much strain on the chain or sprocket when there’s no need for it. 

1) Apply brake does not move the axle forward, to establish chain slack B4 tighten axle

2) Hand pressure (rotate rear wheel with soft aluminum sprocket jammer, or screwdriver, rag, etc.) will force the rear axle forward against the stops. If you DON'T do this, the axle can creep forward after the adjustment is done.

3) The slight strain of using a sprocket jammer during chain adjustment is nothing compared to the strain that a motorcycle engine puts on that chain. 

Rewatch the video posted above.