1.25" lowering links/ sump guard opinions sought

I know this will cop a bit of flack, but I think the whole sump is gonna smash thing is a bit overblown.

I definitely wouldn't lower it more than 15mm as it will be too susceptible to hitting the pegs and centre stand.

But I think the "you must get a sump guard" thing is a bit of an urban legend.

The Tracer has the same stock ground clearance as a Kawasaki ZXR1000 Ninja, and is very comparable to most sport tourers. The problem with the early Tracers was the seriously inadequate  suspension, specially the front.

In the early days of the Tracer someone hit piece of lose curbing the size of a brick, that went under their bike and turned over hitting the sump and smashing it causing terminal damage. This has also happened with people hitting speed humps and the whole saga got blown out of proportion.

The stock front suspension is undersprung and severely underdamped (don't ask me how but most riders don't notice), and when you have some overweight riders it is seriously compromised.

You need to put it in perspective of how many thousands of these bikes were sold world wide, and how few were damaged.

I bought mine knowing quite well that I would need to throw the stock suspension in the bin which I did, and often ride on dirt tracks that are questionable on choice and on less than perfect roads that we have here in Oz with a full load at spirited speeds.

My bike is lowered 15mm front and back, (I've also cut the centre stand stop by 10mm as it was hitting before my left  foot peg feeler). On my many a year multi day ride and camp trips, with all my camping, cooking, food and all weather clothing luggage I often hit the feelers on my after market pegs (which are much shorter than stock), but except for the one time on a seriously weather damaged bush track that had some really deep ruts after the biblical amounts of rain we had here last year and hit the bottom of the engine/muffler (it never damaged anything even though it was a big hit), it has never been a problem.

By the way, I've taken many bikes that I've owned on dirt roads that were always going to be a problem, I blame that on all my mates who now all have adventure bikes. I refuse.

Like always, your mileage will vary, but do a search on just how many Tracers actually got damaged by riders who weren't overweight for the stock suspension (which is anyone over 65kg).

I'll add that every model change after the 15/16, the suspension got better.

By the time of the GT, it was actually good, the ESA on the new bikes is a whole different ball game, bloody awesome.

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 3

Oh gosh, I feel so stupid. The trouble is I am a know it all. And I knew that the seat was in it's lowest position.

You know how this ends.  After lowering the seat I can get the balls of my feet on the ground and am no longer tiptoeing. Thank you for all who have replied to this thread.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, arthur said:

Oh gosh, I feel so stupid. The trouble is I am a know it all. And I knew that the seat was in it's lowest position.

You know how this ends.  After lowering the seat I can get the balls of my feet on the ground and am no longer tiptoeing. Thank you for all who have replied to this thread.

You do know most of us have that moment in some manner or other! Not to worry, it's ok.