Tyre pressure monitoring systems

I use the FOBO 2 on my Tracer. I also installed a set of T valve stems so I can check and change pressure without removing the sensors. I have not had any leak issues in the 3+ years I've been using them. I have changed the batteries twice since installing them. 

I use a BT headset in my helmet (Cardo), and the app has audible alert options if the pressure drops below a customizable set point, so I don't have to have the phone visible for the setup to be useful. One nice thing about the FOBO is it is always on, so it will read pressure as soon as I walk up to the bike and turn the app on. Most of the others require the bike to be rolling before they will update the pressure on the receiver.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I will just add that some systems report quicker than others. The Sykik needs just a few wheel revolutions, which means I can spin the wheels by hand while the bike is in my garage on the centre stand, and know within a few seconds whether to inflate before I depart. I had another system for a very short while (NEWEkey, a re-brand of Cyclops), that required 150+ metres of travel to report 😒. It is also possible to mod these head units and tether them to a power source on the bike, so no re-charging needed.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I use the FOBO 2 on my Tracer. I also installed a set of T valve stems so I can check and change pressure without removing the sensors. I have not had any leak issues in the 3+ years I've been using them. I have changed the batteries twice since installing them. 

I use a BT headset in my helmet (Cardo), and the app has audible alert options if the pressure drops below a customizable set point, so I don't have to have the phone visible for the setup to be useful. One nice thing about the FOBO is it is always on, so it will read pressure as soon as I walk up to the bike and turn the app on. Most of the others require the bike to be rolling before they will update the pressure on the receiver.

I really like the design of the tivo as far as it extending much further into the wheel and then being doubled, nutted and the size of the gasket on the back side of the there's quite a bit of weight outside the wheel.

I think getting the sensor on the vertical stem is a little fidly because of access

But once it's Working you don't have to touch it again hypothetically until you replace the battery

Then you have the ninety degrees stem to check and fill with neat

Where is it made do you know

Have you weighed? It would be neat to try to weigh inside the rim and outside the rim in terms of the balance point. Centripetal force.

It looks like it's made out of steel. That's been chromed which is obviously a disadvantage. If was made out of aluminum, but then stress points due to machining  versus casting porosity could be a problem.

I presume the connections are high temperature brazed before Chroming.

Forty bucks for a set, it's kind of hard to swallow compared to my chinese units that cost me maybe five bucks a set...

Still when I have the discretionary funds...

The cover next to the TPS is over my hardwired garmin zumo XT mount, another available hardwire is for a magnet mount for my radar detector; the cell phone mount also is hardwired.

20230728_102818.jpg

20230728_102745.jpg

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I really like the design of the tivo as far as it extending much further into the wheel and then being doubled, nutted and the size of the gasket on the back side of the there's quite a bit of weight outside the wheel.

I think getting the sensor on the vertical stem is a little fidly because of access

But once it's Working you don't have to touch it again hypothetically until you replace the battery

Then you have the ninety degrees stem to check and fill with neat

Where is it made do you know

Have you weighed? It would be neat to try to weigh inside the rim and outside the rim in terms of the balance point. Centripetal force.

It looks like it's made out of steel. That's been chromed which is obviously a disadvantage. If was made out of aluminum, but then stress points due to machining  versus casting porosity could be a problem.

I presume the connections are high temperature brazed before Chroming.

Forty bucks for a set, it's kind of hard to swallow compared to my chinese units that cost me maybe five bucks a set...

Still when I have the discretionary funds...

The cover next to the TPS is over my hardwired garmin zumo XT mount, another available hardwire is for a magnet mount for my radar detector; the cell phone mount also is hardwired.

20230728_102818.jpg

20230728_102745.jpg

Dang! I didn't realize they upped the price a bit! I think a few years ago you could get a pair for $25-30. When I bought the FOBO2, it came as a package deal with the sensors for $120. They have that on the FOBO website. I doubt they are US made, but they are plated steel. They have been great for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set for a new bike. No corrosion issues, and I ride in the winter here, with lots of salty road grime. 

It wasn't particularly difficult to install the sensors on the vertical valve. 

When I installed them, I balanced my wheels without a tire to account for the heavier valve stem. It didn't take much weight to get them balanced.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

Dang! I didn't realize they upped the price a bit! I think a few years ago you could get a pair for $25-30. When I bought the FOBO2, it came as a package deal with the sensors for $120. They have that on the FOBO website. I doubt they are US made, but they are plated steel. They have been great for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set for a new bike. No corrosion issues, and I ride in the winter here, with lots of salty road grime. 

It wasn't particularly difficult to install the sensors on the vertical valve. 

When I installed them, I balanced my wheels without a tire to account for the heavier valve stem. It didn't take much weight to get them balanced.

Great idea!

My front wheel is a PITA to balance

20220308_200847.jpg