Tyre pressure monitoring systems

I want to add this to my Tracer also. I got used to tire pressure monitors on my Concours and RT, they saved me big trouble several times over the years. I am happy with FOBO Bike TPM on my Multistrada.

https://my-fobo.com/product-family/FOBO_Bike_2

They work with a phone app and provide real time info. The problem is they say use only with metal valve stems and the Tracer has rubber. I have used Garmin TPM in the past but there current motorcycle GPS no longer supports it. The Garmin TPS would display on the Zumo 3xx series but does not work with the Zumo XT series.

When I change tires next time I will swap out the rubber stems for some stainless steel and add some FOBOs to the Tracer.

I added a similar TPMS product to my Tracer as yours Lather, but wanted to be free of any app as I don't have the phone out when it gets cold and rainy here in the Pacific Northwest. Luckily found this one on Amazon which has a nice status screen to view the tire pressure info. Definitely miss the dashboard integration like our C14.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B7YP4FX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used it when I still had rubber valves but now that I just changed out my tires and replaced it with metal valves, its definitely easier to remove and use.

• Supporting Member

I've seen the Yamaha one advertised online and wondered if it will work with 3 sensors for my Niken.

Spendy... who wants to be the guinea pig?

Yamaha Original TPMS1

Yamaha Original TPMS2

(I tried the Garmin Zumo sensors and couldn't get them to work properly even with fresh batteries).

15 hours ago, betoney said:

I have used the Sykik TPM for a few years with zero issues. 

21 hours ago, lather said:

I am happy with FOBO Bike TPM on my Multistrada.

OK so those use a sensor that attaches to the valve stem.

The OEM sensors for Yamaha, BMW, Honda Gold Wings, and cars are inside the tire (internal sensor).

Although I have never heard of a leaking external sensor - it just makes me a bit nervous. Like it could leak at the threads, or against the face of the (metal) valve stem. 

Normally when a tire has air pressure, that pressure pushes the valve closed at the end of the valve stem. As I understand it, the Sykik, FOBO, and similar ones push the valve core and read the pressure. Have you folks ever had that connection leak?  Do you spray it with soapy water, and if no leak you are good until a bit of air needs to be added and you pull the sensor off the valve stem?

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

49 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Normally when a tire has air pressure, that pressure pushes the valve closed at the end of the valve stem. As I understand it, the Sykik, FOBO, and similar ones push the valve core and read the pressure. Have you folks ever had that connection leak?  Do you spray it with soapy water, and if no leak you are good until a bit of air needs to be added and you pull the sensor off the valve stem?

No leak experienced yet, but yes spray with soapy water to verify any leaks. So far both on the old rubber valves and new metal valves that I've used, all good after a few thousand miles.

• Thumbsup 2

I have never had either the Garmin or the fobo leak. The units on the Concours, which were internal seemed to have a very slow leak, 1 psi over a 3 or 4 days. I had 4 other bikes and did not have to top them off as often as the concours.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

No leaks noticed in 10’s of thousands of miles. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

The only way I can see them leaking is if they come loose. But it only takes a fraction of a millimeter to start closing the valve when the sensor unscrews and normally it would just come off. And it happens so fast, there's very little air lost.

If the jam nut on the sensor is set properly, I've never seen one come loose.

When you learning to use them, they don't read the same as a digital air gauge. So you have to calibrate your gages to what the display reads. Which doesn't give an accurate reading until you're rolling for a bit.

The sensors are very light though, but do have a Replaceable battery in them.

The display unit does not have a replaceable battery at least not by the user

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

That's the big bugaboo with a design.  Having to remove the sensors to check independently tire pressure. 

The sensors or CPU are very sensitive to temperature and humidity.  And the pressure and temperature readouts fluctuate significantly as a result. 

There is a 3~4 psi variance with digital gage readings.  I have 3 gages that are calibrated to each other and very close.

They send audible and graphic signals with a sudden pressure loss indicating a significant leak.

Of course the audible signal is lost above 15 dB LOL and basically, no, is useless.

So each bike will be different and experience will hopefully promote confidence in reliability. 

IMO it's a worthwhile farkle for $50

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The sensors or CPU are very sensitive to temperature and humidity.  And the pressure and temperature readouts fluctuate significantly as a result. 

I would think that the actual air pressure would vary with temperature (as opposed to effecting the electronics)

My Tahoe sensors may read low on a cold morning and normalize after 5 minutes of travel, warming things up.

Never used tire pressure sensors on a motorcycle. Makes a lot of sense though.

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

The FOBO sensors display psi AND tire temperature. At the start of a ride the psi is close to what the cold pressure was measured by my digital tire gauge and the tire temp is same as ambient. As the tires warm up the psi climbs to about 4 or 5 psi above the cold pressure. Front tire temp settles at about 90-95 and rear about 94-98 depending on pavement temp. I have noticed that different brand tires seam to heat heat up differently.

One thing I liked about the Garmin system is the Zumo app stored a history of tire pressure and would display a graph of pressure over the course of a ride.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, lather said:

The FOBO sensors display psi AND tire temperature. At the start of a ride the psi is close to what the cold pressure was measured by my digital tire gauge and the tire temp is same as ambient. As the tires warm up the psi climbs to about 4 or 5 psi above the cold pressure. Front tire temp settles at about 90-95 and rear about 94-98 depending on pavement temp. I have noticed that different brand tires seam to heat heat up differently.

I believe that they all show both pressure in bar or psi and temperature in C or F.

41xf+g02emL._AC_.jpg

I noticed the same observation with different tire brands temps and psi difference.  I swap my TPMS between my FJ and VFR1200X which is heavier and has adventure size rims with a narrower 150 profile rear. 

Due to size availability, I use Pirelli Angel GT tires on the VFR and Bridgestone T32 or S22 on my FJ, both set to the same cold pressure.  Yhe temperature and pressure rises higher and quicker on the VFR though I'm not sure if its the heavier bike with narrower rim or the tire brand that causes the difference?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***