Another windscreen thread

• Supporting Member
On 7/27/2023 at 12:20 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Have you tried a "Lip"?

There are knockoffs for $30 on Amazon and Ebay that clip onto the windscreen and work well for me. They pull the air up and over your helmet, I have clean air yet the windscreen remains low enough that it is not in my view beyond 30 to 40 feet of the bike.  I am also 5' 8".

LaminarLIP.jpg

Lip.jpg

MRA makes a good deflector for more $. The knock-offs can require modification.

mrax_creen_tour_variable_windscreen_spoiler_blade_750x750.jpg

Adding to this: Lip/spoiler may be required when riding with a passenger. In a recent experience the turbulent air from my taller windshield just gets dumped behind me into my lady's face; she complained a lot over the intercom anytime we got up to highway speed. Obviously this will be dependent on your passenger, my lady is the same height as me. So if air is clearing my helmet it is basically just striking her in the face. The lip seems to move the stream of air so it just barely hits her forehead and also breaks up the air enough it is has less force by the time it reaches her.

I've been using a $20 eBay knock-off for the past few years and just swap it between the windscreens when I need to change based on the season.

Someone please post some pictures of the MRA Sport and/or MRA Touring w/Vario on the T9GT.  It would be greatly appreciated.  I know, I know there are already some pictures of one or both of these screens but many are on the older gen Tracer or at odd angles, etc....    thanks

On 7/28/2023 at 8:44 AM, Ride365 said:

It's the perfect size for me, want nothing that even remotely resembles a barn door that some have here on their bikes. All I get is smooth clean air flow.......no buffeting at all.

I sent you a msg a day or two ago about this.........but have not heard back yet...........if possible post some pictures of your bike with the MRA sport screen.  It would be very helpful to me.  thanks

I went for the PUIG touring screen which when looked at some angels looks massive, but in person and with the 50Ltr Yam top box on actually suits the bike as it kind of balances out (my opinion obviously, and each have their own). I am 6'4 and find it to be a massive improvement over the original and fits the bike better. The width is spot on and its taller in the lowest position than the original in its highest. I never need to raise it. 

Also fitted a BMW Style Hela Din socket in the side panel (cable can be seen in the pic) hard wired to the battery for plugging in the Optimate and if I ever want to go down the route of heated clothing, or have someone on the back who wants to charge phone etc. Tracer.thumb.jpg.9c91d4867839ac9071981fa2a61c18de.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Thanks but I have seen some info regarding the MRA Touring and Touring Vario but have not been able to find much regarding the "MRA Sport".  Very little pictures and/or videos.

Edited: Oh wow I now see the top video is about the MRA Sport screen.  I have seen this video before but forgot the details.  thanks

Edited by tgas
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, Chippenham said:

Also fitted a BMW Style Hela Din socket in the side panel (cable can be seen in the pic) hard wired to the battery for plugging in the Optimate...

Super convenient indeed. I fitted a Powerlet socket on my FJ (RH side of bike, opposite the seat lock) for same purpose, and the air pump.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 7/28/2023 at 8:44 AM, Ride365 said:

It's the perfect size for me, want nothing that even remotely resembles a barn door that some have here on their bikes. All I get is smooth clean air flow.......no buffeting at all.

What color is your MRA Sport screen and also please post some pictures of the screen on the bike.  thanks

I'll chime in with my experiences.

I have the Madstad touring. When adjusted fully upright and all the way up, it is the smoothest quietest ride I've ever had. Now granted, in this position, I'm looking through the shield if I'm slouching, and about three-four inches above the screen if sitting upright and attentive (which you should 🙂). Because it's fully adjustable, you can easily lower it I think up to another three inches or two if desired. Tilting it back would lower it even further.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I don't particularly care for a larger screen on any bike. So I use it on longer rides and in the spring and fall when the weather is cooler.

Otherwise I run a Puig sport screen during the summer.

It takes me about 20 minutes to swap out the screens so not a big deal there.

Tracer with Madstad.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior

42 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

I'll chime in with my experiences.

I have the Madstad touring. When adjusted fully upright and all the way up, it is the smoothest quietest ride I've ever had. Now granted, in this position, I'm looking through the shield if I'm slouching, and about three-four inches above the screen if sitting upright and attentive (which you should 🙂). Because it's fully adjustable, you can easily lower it I think up to another three inches or two if desired. Tilting it back would lower it even further.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I don't particularly care for a larger screen on any bike. So I use it on longer rides and in the spring and fall when the weather is cooler.

Otherwise I run a Puig sport screen during the summer.

It takes me about 20 minutes to swap out the screens so not a big deal there.

I understand and agree.  I am considering doing something similar.  Sport screen for summer and MRA Touring Vario for the rest of the year.  I just don't like the looks of the Madstad but it is a fine screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 6’2 and have 2touring shields I have used.  A givi that is the bike now and a ermax.  The ermax gives me more wind protection but the Givi has less buffeting. With the Givi the wind hits me in the upper chest shoulder area and keeps me cooler for summer.  The ermax I will put back on when it cools off for more warmth. I will post pictures with a tape measure for height reference. (Sorry pictures contain to much data to post). I do like the looks of the tinted givi better. 
   I think I will try one of those lips though been thinking about it. 

I have a 2019 so the mounting may be different, I run a CalSci Large screen (with the mount in the lowest position on the bike), with 1" chopped off of each side (clears my mirrors) and a deflector on the very top.

It puts air right at my forehead vent, so if I stand up I get perfect air at the chest vent on my jacket and minimal buffeting unless I'm behind a vehicle making a lot of turbulence.