Another windscreen thread

I recently bought a 2022 Tracer 9 GT and I am living with the stock screen for now but plan to replace it pretty soon.

There are lots of options available.  I am leaning toward the MRA Touring Vario.  I am also considering a summer windscreen for hot weather so I am also looking at the MRA sport screen.  But I would really like to stick to one screen if possible.

I would like feedback from owners that have the MRA Touring Vario.  I am 5'8" tall so take that into consideration.  I have read mainly positive comments about the screen.  I just want to make sure I am making the best decision before I drop $200 on a screen.  I would consider the Madstad but I don't like the way it looks.  At least in the pictures.

Feedback about other similar screens is certainly welcome too. 

thanks

Not sure if this one is available to you, but I'm pretty satisfied with WRS Touring screen ( https://www.wrs.it/en/windscreens/339955-windscreen-touring-smoked-wrs-yamaha-mt-09-tracer-9-gt-2021-2023-0806881054732.html?utm_source=sniperfast&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=sniperfast-search&utm_content=YA004F ).

I'm 5'10'', it didn't completely remove wind buffeting but the difference was significant. After this change, I stopped thinking about wind protection and it looks excellent, especially the smoked version. You also have a clear one if preferred. 

WRS.jpg

I like the looks of that screen and it appears I can order it here in the US.

At its' tallest it is 22.8".  Do you know how tall the stock windscreen is?  I can measure it later today and compare to this WRS screen.

You said it improved the buffeting to the point where you don't really think about it anymore?
If you can post some more pictures that would be great.
Thanks for your input.  If you think of more details post them here.

4 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

I have the MRA sport shield and love the damn thing, works awesome and the best looking shield out there. :)

Do you run it year around or swap out for something larger in colder months?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, tgas said:

Its personal preference of course but I use a small fly screen year around on my FJ.  I cant stand helmet buffeting -wind turbulence that bobbles your helmet around like a rag doll- but I don't mind wind flow and some wind noise as I always use ear plugs and in winter I have warm clothing.  I don't mind wind flow hitting my chest or shoulders.

Just know that the screen size and shape is the source of buffeting, if you take the screen off or ride a naked bike you wont get helmet buffeting, just smooth wind.  Its a matter of getting a screen size and shape that moves the air up or around to where its acceptable to YOU.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

33 minutes ago, betoney said:

Its personal preference of course but I use a small fly screen year around on my FJ.  I cant stand helmet buffeting -wind turbulence that bobbles your helmet around like a rag doll- but I don't mind wind flow and some wind noise as I always use ear plugs and in winter I have warm clothing.  I don't mind wind flow hitting my chest or shoulders.

Just know that the screen size and shape is the source of buffeting, if you take the screen off or ride a naked bike you wont get helmet buffeting, just smooth wind.  Its a matter of getting a screen size and shape that moves the air up or around to where its acceptable to YOU.

I understand and agree.  I have had naked bikes over the last 15 years and I am used to lots of wind but NO turbulence.  I like the wind protection the T9GT provides but would like to reduce the turbulence to a minimum.  At 5"8" I think I can do that but it is hard to know what will work good for me without trying it.  Input from owners is really good.

• Thumbsup 1

Have you tried a "Lip"?

There are knockoffs for $30 on Amazon and Ebay that clip onto the windscreen and work well for me. They pull the air up and over your helmet, I have clean air yet the windscreen remains low enough that it is not in my view beyond 30 to 40 feet of the bike.  I am also 5' 8".

LaminarLIP.jpg

Lip.jpg

MRA makes a good deflector for more $. The knock-offs can require modification.

mrax_creen_tour_variable_windscreen_spoiler_blade_750x750.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

I have not tried a screen with a lip but that is why I am leaning toward the MRA Touring Vario.  It seems to be a pretty solid choice.  At 5'8" I think I should be able to find a good position that will suit low and high speed travel.

16 minutes ago, tgas said:

I have not tried a screen with a lip but that is why I am leaning toward the MRA Touring Vario.  

If Money isn't tight - that would be a great choice. Not that much more than the MRA lip. 
It is a complete solution, with lip installed.

mra_vario_touring_screen_windshield_750x750.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

If Money isn't tight - that would be a great choice. Not that much more than the MRA lip. 
It is a complete solution, with lip installed.

mra_vario_touring_screen_windshield_750x750.jpg

I agree.  I will most likely get the MRA.  The Madstad just does not look good to me.  I know it is a fine screen but it just looks odd or something to me. 

I wish the MRA for the T9 had the small slits in it like the one in the picture.  It might reduce the back pressure even better.  But again, maybe the MRA engineers were not able to see a benefit from the slits on that particular screen.

Edited by tgas
  • Thumbsup 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:50 AM, tgas said:

It's the perfect size for me, want nothing that even remotely resembles a barn door that some have here on their bikes. All I get is smooth clean air flow.......no buffeting at all.

• Thumbsup 2

Little warning for the 2023 tracers, the screen adjustment lever was moved up higher in the newer models. So shorty screen wil show the mechanism or you need to choose a shorty-ish screen. 

2021-Yamaha-Tracer-9-GT-24.jpg

g-000288-g_W2880600_2-yamaha-tracer-9-gt-638233807313261740.jpg

Edited by SVincent
  • Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, Ride365 said:

It's the perfect size for me, want nothing that even remotely resembles a barn door that some have here on their bikes. All I get is smooth clean air flow.......no buffeting at all.

Now you have me wondering if I should try it instead of the Touring Vario