Service Interval Question

Hi there, 

I assume it's a common question but I am somehow unable to find an example to clarify my query about service intervals for the 900GT

In Europe, the maintenance interval is 12 months or 10000km(6000miles). The bike was serviced in April 2023 around 14000km. So does this mean the next service is due in either April 2024 or at 24k kms(if kms are reached earlier) , or would it be due when the odo shows 20k kms(assuming 20k is hit before April 2024 of course). If yes, then the last service would have been only 6k kms ago? This is what confuses me. Would really appreciate it if anyone could explain. 

Thanks in advance for clarifying! 

5 minutes ago, forcooler said:

the maintenance interval is 12 months or 10000km(6000miles)

That's what I do with mine, I've only been averaging 4,000 miles a year so do an annual service usually about November before it's stored for the winter. If I was lucky enough to get more riding time I would do an oil and filter change between 5,500 and 6,000 miles. Although I did the Valve clearance service last November at 20,000 miles just in case I had got more riding time in this year but it's best to do that service a wee bit early.

10 hours ago, forcooler said:

In Europe, the maintenance interval is 12 months or 10000km(6000miles).

Which ever comes first.  When you have done 1000Km but less than 12 months since last service, it's time for a service.  If you get to 12 months since last service, it's time for a service.

As it’s a 900GT it will be way outside the warranty period. Mine’s a 2018 so my approach is to service every 6,000 miles/10,000 kms because you’re engine doesn’t know what day it is. Sticking to annual services would only satisfy Yamaha to validate warranty.  My mileage tends to be 6,000+ per annum anyway but if it was less I’d still wait until 6,000 comes round. 

The reason for the annual change is to get rid of contaminants from the combustion process that wind up in the oil.  Not good to leave it in there too long.

US schedule is 4,000 miles or annually.