FJR1300 Rider…considering downsizing

I went from an FJR to the Tracer, and I am very happy with the choice. No, it's not quite as smooth and comfy on the long hauls across the country, but it is so much better in the twisty roads (lighter, less work to maneuver, engine is more fun).

As far as colors go, the Tracer is relatively easy to wrap or paint. Make it any color you want!

• Thumbsup 3

Hi CollingsBob,   Loved riding my 2008 FJR a lot from 2010 to 2019 but as I got older it got heavier.  At age 72 a 2019 Tracer 900 GT became my new ride and am very happy that I made the change.  Looks like a lot of us here on the forum have successfully made the step you are considering.  It might just extend your riding years another decade or two !!     Best wishes,  Frank.

• Thumbsup 2

One really nice thing about the Tracer is the lack of heat from the engine.  My previous bike was a BMW F800GT and here in the south temperatures are routinely in the 80s and 90s.  I even did a day trip when it was a bit over 100 here.  On my bike (problem seemed to be common but not uniform across all F80GTs) at higher speeds and above the low 80s it would put a steady stream of warm air on my inner thighs.  Out west at speeds of 80+ and 85F it was quite toasty.  My Tracer 900 GT never was hot even on my feet.  Yes if riding in traffic or stop and go and the fan came on it would blow warm air back on me.  Last year riding in Montana saw lots of high 90sF to 104F.  It was HOT but the bike did not add to it.  During the pandemic I spent several days in Nebraska waiting on parts to repair my German bike.  The Tracer has good parts availability and even in cruiser country still some folks around that know how to work on it.  It's reliable so working on it is rare.

The Tracer 900GT in stock form is not so good as a 2 up bike but great for 1 up.  The T9GT is better for that but think that is one area the FJR is still better at.  It has a chain which takes more TLC but I ran a Scott Oiler and 

For me the Tracer 900 GT was not a light bike but not heavy either.  It was light enough to flick into corners and have some fun.  No it wasn't as quick as my 2012 CBR600RR or 2014 ZX6R 6363 but close enough for spirited riding even while loaded - full side cases and a 58L duffle on the rear seat.  

Smart to downsize before you feel forced to.  My Tracer even full loaded with all my stuff was something I could still move around - I'm almost 69.  Sketchy moments like pulling out of the campground in Calgary with the bike full loaded.  Steep up to a steep road and enough down slope to my right knew it would not be good to drop it.  Careful with the throttle and clutch and was just fine.  Tracer balances very nicely and was so nice to have then.  Due to a number of different issues I decided to buy a 2 year old Miata and sell my Tracer.  Way down on the list was my ability to physically move it around.  For the last 5 years I've taken long solo motorcycle trips.  Briefly reasons were wife worrying, blood thinner, aortic aneurism and drivers getting faster, more aggressive and crazier.  I still have a small scooter I ride around the neighborhood. 

• Thumbsup 5

So many of us have done this exact downsizing, from the FJR to the Tracer.

I owned every generation of the FJR, from 2002 to 2021, over 250,000 miles across four models. I might have forced myself to continue riding it in my mid-60's - but when I found out the Gen 2 GT models could carry the FJR1300 side cases, that sealed the deal. Still doing long distances with wifey, and we haven't actually lost any carrying capacity:

ProsserTracer.thumb.jpg.f4049f5a4261377b27a075302393e01c.jpg 

• Thumbsup 4

On 8/6/2023 at 9:05 AM, Ride365 said:

I "almost" bought that exact machine.......however the overall reliability and maintenance costs had me reconsider. But oh my goodness was that a fun machine to have in my garage for a week!!! 

Yeah its been fun. So far reliability has been.... acceptable. 

20221101_073756.thumb.jpg.8db1a430f1c27187ca2dc10787a05161.jpg

20221026_152924.thumb.jpg.70a47e5ae548bc30063629411b2edf89.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA