FJR1300 Rider…considering downsizing

I’m 69, turning 70 this year..My ‘17 FJR is an amazing bike, but it’s getting a bit hard to wrestle it around the garage..So I’m looking at a few bikes, all of them around 500lbs. The TracerGT gets a serious look because of Yamaha reliability

• Thumbsup 2

The Tracers are definitely a great bike to step down to or downsize without losing the power or fun yet still are very reliable. I jump on my C14 every now and then and appreciate the Tracer size for what it is. I think you'll be happy no matter what Tracer you choose.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

I also own a larger +600 lb VFR1200X adventure-touring bike, as much as I enjoy road trips on the larger bike with its relaxed low revving motor, every time I get back on the light and agile FJ with the quick revving motor it always puts a smile on my face.

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Like several others, I had an FJR1300 for 8 years then went to the ‘21 Tracer 9GT. With my 30” inseam it’s rather tall and hard to mount/dismount so I do the cowboy thing. Great bike although now I don’t tour as I used to so kinda second thoughts.

On 8/5/2023 at 1:03 PM, vincep said:

I went from a Multistrada to the Tracer GT.  Two very different bikes technology/weight/power wise.

Have been very happy with the "lesser" bike.

Funny.. I went from a FJ-09 to a Multistrada. I loved my FJ. Still think the CP3 motor is the best motorcycle motor I've ever experienced. However, the suspension on my Multi ('18 1260 S) is miles better.

To be honest I love both bikes.

To the OP. The Tracer is one of the best bang for your buck bikes out there.  If my current Ducati starts giving me reliability issues, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to a Tracer.

• Thumbsup 3

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

16 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Funny.. I went from a FJ-09 to a Multistrada. I loved my FJ. Still think the CP3 motor is the best motorcycle motor I've ever experienced. However, the suspension on my Multi ('18 1260 S) is miles better.

To be honest I love both bikes.

To the OP. The Tracer is one of the best bang for your buck bikes out there.  If my current Ducati starts giving me reliability issues, I would hesitate to go back to a Tracer.

I "almost" bought that exact machine.......however the overall reliability and maintenance costs had me reconsider. But oh my goodness was that a fun machine to have in my garage for a week!!! 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1