Cruise Control

Suu Kyi

Had issues with my cruise control activation light blinking on my 2019 GT a couple of years back, turned out to be the front brake switch which was replaced under warranty, all good after that. Then recently the problem came back, coincidently after a major service where I had the clutch cable replaced. Checked the cable, listened for the two clicks when the clutch lever is pulled in, all good, so is the adjustment. Checked the front brake lever for the two clicks, all good there too. Then looked at the rear brake, can't really hear any clicks but adjusted and lubricated it to make sure the switch wasn't being activated. Lubricated it by pumping some WD40 up the switch shaft. Every time I do this the problem goes away only to come back. Done it three times so far, so if it comes back again I'll be replacing it as pretty sure it's a sticking back brake switch as it responds to the WD40. No sense in having to keep doing this so best to replace it. Any thoughts?

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Suu Kyi said:

Had issues with my cruise control activation light blinking on my 2019 GT a couple of years back, turned out to be the front brake switch which was replaced under warranty, all good after that. Then recently the problem came back, coincidently after a major service where I had the clutch cable replaced. Checked the cable, listened for the two clicks when the clutch lever is pulled in, all good, so is the adjustment. Checked the front brake lever for the two clicks, all good there too. Then looked at the rear brake, can't really hear any clicks but adjusted and lubricated it to make sure the switch wasn't being activated. Lubricated it by pumping some WD40 up the switch shaft. Every time I do this the problem goes away only to come back. Done it three times so far, so if it comes back again I'll be replacing it as pretty sure it's a sticking back brake switch as it responds to the WD40. No sense in having to keep doing this so best to replace it. Any thoughts?

If you replace the rear brake switch, do yourself a favor and get a hydraulic switch, it is completely sealed and never gets gummed up with road grime. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Update - blew some air from a compressed airbrush can into the shaft of the back brake light switch to clear any debris, have an air compressor but didn't want the stream to be too strong. Then sprayed some electrical contact cleaner, waited awhile for that to dry and followed it with another squirt with compressed air. Finally I took advice from another forum and squirted WD40 PTFE dry lubricant. Fingers crossed, let's see how that goes.

18 hours ago, betoney said:

If you replace the rear brake switch, do yourself a favor and get a hydraulic switch, it is completely sealed and never gets gummed up with road grime. 

Plus you dont have to worry about adjustment causing a possible issue.

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/23/2023 at 7:09 AM, duckie said:

I  remember something about the rear brake adjustment being the problem with someone on here when their CC was acting up.

That happened to me, I saw that the spring had come off so I hooked it back on and adjusted it too tight, just tight enough to cause an intermittent problem!

• Supporting Member
On 8/24/2023 at 5:22 AM, betoney said:

+1 from me FWIW.

22 hours ago, Suu Kyi said:

Update - blew some air from a compressed airbrush can into the shaft of the back brake light switch to clear any debris, have an air compressor but didn't want the stream to be too strong. Then sprayed some electrical contact cleaner, waited awhile for that to dry and followed it with another squirt with compressed air. Finally I took advice from another forum and squirted WD40 PTFE dry lubricant. Fingers crossed, let's see how that goes.

If you install a hydraulic switch you won't be disappointed - just get a decent quality one.  They're not that expensive and you won't ever have to revisit the eventually returning issue of the mechanical switch causing you grief.

On a side note - while your CC is not being disabled when your mechanical switch is playing up, you are probably not displaying a stop light either while under braking!  Something to consider.

....... Hydraulic switch.  NIKE - just do it. 😉

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1