Akrapovic repacking

skipperT

Hey all, I’ve done a bunch of googling and surfing but can’t seem to find any info on this topic. 

anyone performed or have a link to info about repacking the Akrapovic Titanium exhaust for the FJ/MT/Tracer?

Mines a bit louder than I would prefer. I removed the baffle and it appears stock. Drilled out all the rivets and renewed the packing with some FMF stuff since my local dealer can’t obtain the Akra kit (only seems to be available online from Europe or Japan).

Still drones a bit around 3-4k RPM. 

Anyone on here perform this task? Or know of someone?

thanks,

Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

It's my understanding that Akra's don't need it. I could be wrong though

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

If you don’t mind spending a few more bucks, you can add the catalytic converter to that system which quiets it down a bit. I had one of those on my MT-09 (and an Arrow, and Akra carbon loop). The Ti is one of the quietest on the market outside of OEM…with the baffle and cat. If you uncork it, it gets properly loud.

If you ever tire of it and decide to sell…you message me first!

• Premium Member

If you first wrap stainless steel steel wool over the baffle, then a thin layer of VHT ceramic batt; then wrap the balance of the total of the maximum thickness that can fit in the can.  I use SS safety wire to bind each material layer. Tape burns away but not fully and stinks to high heaven. 

Use the baffle but that can be tuned to taste by drilling more holes or folding closed the louvered ports or sealing over holes with .012" SS HD "foil" to reduce or increase backpressue.

I've considered adapting a SuperTrap Universal muffler to the CP3 headers. Brilliant system!

https://supertrapp.com/technology

https://www.amazon.com/Spark-Arrestor-STAINLESS-Muffler-Mount/dp/B003LIZA4Y/ref=asc_df_B003LIZA4Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=316725397836&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10225410490877851483&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021758&hvtargid=pla-584357591738&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N34PFMO/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw

16 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

It's my understanding that Akra's don't need it. I could be wrong though

Recommended interval is usually 10 or 20k. Not only does the volume increase but the canister of the muffler can overheat and discolor when the packing gets old. 
-S

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, theog said:

If you don’t mind spending a few more bucks, you can add the catalytic converter to that system which quiets it down a bit. I had one of those on my MT-09 (and an Arrow, and Akra carbon loop). The Ti is one of the quietest on the market outside of OEM…with the baffle and cat. If you uncork it, it gets properly loud.

If you ever tire of it and decide to sell…you message me first!

Will do, Theog. I grabbed this one cause they are supposed to be the quietest and it was a sweet deal. 

-S

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

If you first wrap stainless steel steel wool over the baffle, then a thin layer of VHT ceramic batt; then wrap the balance of the total of the maximum thickness that can fit in the can.  I use SS safety wire to bind each material layer. Tape burns away but not fully and stinks to high heaven. 

Use the baffle but that can be tuned to taste by drilling more holes or folding closed the louvered ports or sealing over holes with .012" SS HD "foil" to reduce or increase backpressue.

I've considered adapting a SuperTrap Universal muffler to the CP3 headers. Brilliant system!

https://supertrapp.com/technology

Interesting. Yes the supertrap system sure is neat, lot of flexibility there. 
Tape IS stinky, it took a bit of riding to clear out. Not a fan, will try wire next time. 

Didn’t use the ceramic batting, just what was in the FMF kit. I read that some people swear by it, but it seems to be mostly motocross guys with straight through exhausts. 
the Akra system gets redirected inside the muffler passages, it’s similar to the stock FJ system but not as complex. 

I’ll snap some pics when it’s apart again. 
-S

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Thanks @skipperT for yet another (possibly) make-work project this winter. I just saw a video of a fella repacking the Scorpion Serket Taper silencer... like the one I removed from the bike in the Spring. 😁

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

14 hours ago, piotrek said:

Thanks @skipperT for yet another (possibly) make-work project this winter. I just saw a video of a fella repacking the Scorpion Serket Taper silencer... like the one I removed from the bike in the Spring. 😁

Lol, you’re welcome!  If I can’t get this drone quieted down then I may still be messing around with it this winter as well!

you pulled the Scorpion! Interesting - if the Akra hadn’t fallen into my lap I would have bought that as a slip-on. you back to stock now?

-S

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, skipperT said:

Lol, you’re welcome!  If I can’t get this drone quieted down then I may still be messing around with it this winter as well!

you pulled the Scorpion! Interesting - if the Akra hadn’t fallen into my lap I would have bought that as a slip-on. you back to stock now?

-S

My 98VTR blows so hard and hot I went to the ceramic without any fiberglass with the stainless wool underneath, Which 2 brothers sells by the way in their older system kits.  I bought it in bulk which is enough to repack a dozen times

Very small mufflers for a big twin with humongous carbs!  But it sounds sweet, and doesn't drone or shriek, with Real character

With the stock FJ Exhaust system I mentioned, I've also thought about just cutting it and putting on A slip on but from what I've read it's hard to get them right if you don't want it too loud

• Thumbsup 1

Triples and 4's aren't very hard on packing at all, it's those twins and thumpers that put a beating on it. :) When my Delkevic system starts to get louder due to packing blowout, I'll just get another can for less than $300 over trying a repack.

• Haha 2

• Supporting Member
On 8/31/2023 at 9:15 AM, skipperT said:

you back to stock now?

Yes... and for reasons similar to yours. Like-new FZ-09 set sourced locally for $30. It needed some edits to fit the FJ, but simple enough.

I might try re-packing the Scorpion and see how it sounds. I don't mind the stock can sound at all... so we shall see.

• Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Pulled the muffler again, removed the cap (on the entry side) and changed the arrangement of some of the packing material per the picture from Akra. Their photo shows it NOT covering the mesh hole on the RH side of the muffler but I had completely covered that with a wad of packing that was then masking taped over so that it stayed in place. 
I was thinking maybe I had restricted flow through the muffler too much, so I removed that bit so that the packing matched the pic from Akra. Also took their instructions literally and used a long screwdriver to force packing down along all sides of the muffler. I was able to get more packing in this way. 

Reassembled and installed the end cap (getting better at riveting those back on) and tested it in the driveway. Seemed quieter. Took it for a ride yesterday, still droning. 
Oh well. 

I also noticed there’s zero packing in the opposite end cap at the tip outlet, including around the baffle. 

As this area would be where the exhaust flow hits first, I’m wondering if there should be some packing in that area. Every pic I can find online or on YouTube only shows the baffle removed, not a pic down the baffle tube (exhaust outlet) and into the end cap. Wish I had a new one to compare it to. 

the other possibility would be a different baffle. Scouring the web it appears a loud version and and quiet version were available depending on country, from Akra. Mine shows no sign of cutting or other modification. 
hmmmm maybe I’m just too freaking old and sensitive (50)

-Skip