I need a step by step on fairing removal to gain access to the ECU on Tracer 9 GT

tgas

I am considering having the ECU flashed.  Not for any performance gain but to smooth out power delivery, eliminate the fuel cut, and have the fan come on at lower temps. 

Can someone point me to a guide for fairing removal to gain access to the ECU?  I don't know where the ECU is located on the Tracer 9 GT but I assume under the tank.  thanks

3 hours ago, TomTracer said:

The owners manual has a section on removing the fairing. Primitive though.

Nope, the manual that comes with the 2021 T9GT doesn't show any panel removal.  It says to go to the dealer for any service event for setting shock preload and chain maintenance. 

48 minutes ago, OldBikers said:

Nope, the manual that comes with the 2021 T9GT doesn't show any panel removal.  It says to go to the dealer for any service event for setting shock preload and chain maintenance. 

That’s because it’s an OWNERS manual not a SERVICE manual. You need to consult a service manual and follow the steps to access the air filter. The ECM sits right on top of the housing. 

-Skip

7 hours ago, tgas said:

I am considering having the ECU flashed.  Not for any performance gain but to smooth out power delivery, eliminate the fuel cut, and have the fan come on at lower temps. 

Can someone point me to a guide for fairing removal to gain access to the ECU?  I don't know where the ECU is located on the Tracer 9 GT but I assume under the tank.  thanks

I bought the factory service manual for guidance and can tell you it’s a PIA, just like anytime you do something the first time. Lots of push rivets holding parts on, keep track of them. And the thinner side panels at back of the tank have to slide off slots, not pull off straight, you’ll see.

The ECU is under the tank as mentioned, good luck!

IMG_1266.jpeg

IMG_1264.jpeg

IMG_1265.jpeg

On 9/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, lather said:

Thanks....might buy this.  Looks like I will need it if I decide to pull the ECU.  It would be nice if there was a youtube video.

Edited by tgas

I received a recall letter for an ECU reflash for the 2022 Tracer 9 GTthat is supposed to fix various problems and I have scheduled an appointment for it. If I were you I would check to see if you Tracer is covered by this recall. An owner on the Tracer facebook page had this done and he says it was a big improvement.

I also received the recall letter and I have already contacted my dealership to get this done.  There were actually a couple of recalls.  I am hoping the ECU flash will make the throttle response a little cleaner.  In stock form if you are not careful you can actually stall the bike when leaving from a stop.  The bike should have adequate torque for this not to happen.  Please post your thoughts when you have yours done.  Have you already scheduled yours?