SHOEI Neotec 3

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

So, I see that the Shoei Neotec 3 is now out in all its expensive glory.  As well as a few tweeks over the earlier version, it will also integrate (for even more of the folding stuff) with the latest SENA SRL-3 mesh comms unit.

I've had the previous iteration, Neotec 2, since 2020 and have been very happy with it.  Personally, I'm not looking to 'upgrade' so soon but if you're thinking of a new quality modular style lid and don't want to have to re-mortgage the family home to get the latest, this might be a good time to keep your eyes peeled for discounts on the Neotec 2 as the retailers clear them from their stocks?!

No way in hell I am dropping that much coin on a lid, no matter how comfortable it is and the fit/finish. I am a big HJC RPHA series fan "not made in China", have their excellent RPHA 70 carbon and they have a modular series as well in carbon called the RPHA 90. Shoei and Arai are without question the most comfortable and beautiful lids out there, but I just cannot justify paying that much for something that won't last more than 4 or 5 years safely. The Neotec 2 might be found discounted soon like you mentioned, but my buddy got one last year and isn't in love with it at all. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I tried on their first mod and later the neo 1 and 2. My biggest gripe if I recall correctly is that I had to take off my eyeglasses to put them on; can't remember if I had to take off my glasses to remove them.

IMO half the reason of wearing a mod is not needing to touch your eyeglasses to don and doff the darn thing. 

Yeh, there are a couple other +s but also negs like weight, noise and safety.

But criminey, what is Shoei thinking?!!!

I have a Nolan, HJC, GMax and 2 Kabuto Ibuki (fantastic Niponese composite lid) and they all go on and off easily. 

Maybe it's just me with the Neo 2?!

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I tried on their first mod and later the neo 1 and 2. My biggest gripe if I recall correctly is that I had to take off my eyeglasses to put them on; can't remember if I had to take off my glasses to remove them.

IMO half the reason of wearing a mod is not needing to touch your eyeglasses to don and doff the darn thing. 

Yeh, there are a couple other +s but also negs like weight, noise and safety.

But criminey, what is Shoei thinking?!!!

I have a Nolan, HJC, GMax and 2 Kabuto Ibuki (fantastic Niponese composite lid) and they all go on and off easily. 

Maybe it's just me with the Neo 2?!

Yes, I'm sure I've read that some who wear glasses favoured modulars because it made it easy for them.  Not all heads (and lids) are made the same I guess. 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbsup 1

I have a Shoei GT Air and love it, expensive, but love it. My first Shoei was their cheap full face helmet (i forget the name) back in something like 2010 and I can tell from the previous helmets that not only did it fit better but the handling at highway speeds (not pulling no tugging, look left or right and the helmet did not fight me) that Shoei was doing something right aerodynamically.

So is it worth it to buy such an expensive helmet? To me is it.. I ride every day I can, lots of times at highway speeds, and as long as its not below freezing I'm riding. My bike is my daily and the helmet reduces fatigue from winds throwing the helmet around, fogging (pinlock), lightweight, almost like I'm not wearing one at all and the helmet is not a bother.

Part of the cost associated with this is that Shoei helmets are still mostly hand made, thus the quality and cost. There are two other companies that I think also do this to the same level, AGV and Schuberth.

I am looking to replace it next year (it will be about 7 years) and looking towards the GT Air 3, but yea sicker shock again. I'm going to have to save up more money if I want their "upgrade". My GT Air has held up perfectly though out the years of riding, sweating, freezing, heat exhaustion. There is no fade in the finish and looks still brand new, the pads are in great shape from the years (some wear and tear but still fit snug), visor and pinlock still good. Yes I do take good care of my stuff and so should you.

The cost can be associated with quality at times, brand name, little something that makes you want Shoei product A a little more then say AGV product A. Or a helmet that feels like your not wearing one at all and you don't have to fuss with it.

I see lots of threads not only in this forum and others about finding the perfect windshield for your bike, and how I'm 5'0 and this shield works, but this does not. Or how I'm 6'1" and I need a barn door shield because all the buffeting, but they never look at how their helmet catches all this turbulence and transfers it to the rider. Its nice passing trucks on the highway and not feel like the helmet is trying to kill me with the side turbulence.

So to not make this sound like a sales pitch, sorry it if did, Shoei priced this because they know someone like me will save up their lunch money and part with the money for their helmets. I'm also going to give AGV and Schuberth a look at too and see if there is something that is a little better, but its nice after a few hundred mile ride to not have added fatigue because of the helmet.

• Thumbsup 5

Arai are certainly made by hand and in Japan like Shoei, and IMHO set the standard for which all others strive to be, and yes that includes AGV and Schuberth. I will tout the HJC RPHA series yet again for the price when compared to the industry standard, comfort wise and features they match up quite well with the helmet elite. I was close to buying the Shoei GT air 3, but going back and forth trying on the HJC RPHA 70 Carbon compared to the Shoei, I just couldn't see/feel much of a difference considering price points. Some damn fine lids out there for some damn premium prices, but I reckon it's all subjective. :) 

• Thumbsup 2

I have a Neotec 2(bought this year) and it's certainly the most I've ever spent on a lid. For me it was all about fit, or rather what I could find to fit my gigantic head, the Shoei XL ended up being the right fit, it's odd as previously(many years ago) an Arai L was perfect. I haven't tried on an HJC but the RPHA series aren't a whole lot cheaper than the Shoei RF series

• 3 months later...

Snagged a Neotec 2 on eBay for 350 in bright lime green excursion color. Put up an eBay search for what your looking for. I could not justify the big expense when like someone else said HJC is pretty much as safe. Thought I got a pretty good deal and the lime green and black stands out at least to me.

I found I could put my eyeglasses on with the Neo 2 but I learned the hard way to take them off when removing it. Broke at the hinge. 

Edited by thanks4thefish
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

You are lucky you managed to put the helmet on with your glasses on

Removal was another matter if I understand you right

Now isn't that freaking crazy?!!!

My first flip front was a HJC Symax I bought into 17 years ago

https://ridermagazine.com/2007/01/09/hjc-sy-max-motorcycle-helmet-review/

Now with my powers of recall I think I've had seven flip-fronts since then

And I've checked out at least that many

And not one of them had an issue with a pilot doning their helmet with their shades on.

And then came drop down interior sun shades, which usually are too light

You should be able to lean against your bike on a nice day with a breeze and have a smoke after popping off your brain bucket and putting it on the mirror or even leaving it on if it's cold

Without worrying about your eyeglasses

The HJC RHPA 91 Carbon is the tits imo

But they're a right hip replacement cost too

And if you can't ride why do you need one

Good luck with the hip replacement. I've had 2 and good as new. Doctors said no more jogging!

My first time with the Neotec 2 I broke my glasses taking it off :(. Good point that it's the sunshade that is doing it. Your correct. 

I am totally amazed at how quiet the Neotec 2 is compared to my HJC. It's still expensive at 600 but a worthy splurge. 

Have to say the best helmet is the one that fits you best. 

• Thanks 1