New 9 GT+ clutch judder

Bytio

Clutch engagement should be smooth, with no judder.  Is it only on the first few releases of the clutch and then goes away, or is it every time you release from a stop?

If it is just from the first time or two, and goes away after a mile or two, try this.  When you start the bike cold and you are giving the engine a bit of time to idle, pull the clutch lever and hold it for a few moments.  If the judder goes away, it's probably that the plates were just a bit dry.

I have a Kawasaki that does this the first time or two.  It's a minor clutch oiling issue with that bike, but not bad enough to worry about.  Been that way for 44,000 miles and no issues.

If yours is doing this after everything is up to temperature, and you are under warranty, a trip to the selling dealer may be in order.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:17 PM, Bytio said:

got a new 9 GT+ all is ok but notice a small judder

How new is "new"? On my 9GT I found the clutch took quite a while to "run in". Take-offs in 1st were quite hard to do smoothly at first as the transition from no clutch to 100% engaged happened almost instantaneously. I figure the surface of the plates were simply a little rough from the manufacturing process and it took a bit of usage to mate the surfaces nicely.

I would say it took a good 1,000+km for my clutch to come good, tho that was with a lot of country riding, so not a huge number of changes.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Bytio said:

Yes its new straight out of showroom, only 200 miles at moment still a small judder as pulling away in 1st

I would wait until the first oil change and see if it continues.  Use a good quality synthetic such as Mobil One 4T, which is motorcycle specific.  If it continues after the first oil change, and it does this even after everything is up to running temperature, I would discuss it with the selling dealer.  

Clutch engagement should be smooth, with no judder.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 1 month later...

My 21 GT will judder vigorously if I linger slipping the clutch during take-off. There is a certain rpm that seems to bring the judder on. But it happens so rarely I don’t concern myself with it. Bike is almost 2 years old and passing 21k miles. Has juddered since new. Gotten no worse. 

The clutch plates are assembled dry and one relies on them getting wet with oil later.  Trouble is, a few do and some don't.  Very likely your problem is solved by removing all the plates and coating them with engine oil.  You will feel a little judder maybe, due to the slipper clutch.

I noticed that, assumed it's the slip assist or something but as far as I recall it happens if I start the bike and start riding on cold engine (which I rarely do) and also just in first gear but I only use the clutch on 1st gear anyway because the quick shifter is there to be used :D

• 4 weeks later...

This must be a Yamaha thing, as I found the exact same condition with my Tenere 700's clutch once the weather turned cold. It actually began as only a noise, which is now sometimes accompanied by a shudder/judder until full engagement.

I'd started this thread about it two years ago on a T7 forum, and the only fix found for those so inclined was to remove the clutch plates, soak them in oil and then reinstall. It's a small annoyance for me, but not enough to pull the clutch plates on my bike and those with the same issue who've accessed their clutch after many miles haven't reported any long-term damage.

Clutch engagement noise from cold engine - Tenere 700 Tech Questions - Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Edited by jdub

There may be some judder, but if you pull the clutch plates, you'll find at least half of them dry as there is no oil path to get them all lubricated.  Very simple, coat them all liberally with engine oil and reassemble.