Chain Oilers

Mrtwisty

Morning.

Do any of you beautiful people use a chain oiler, and if so, which one do you use?

I have tried a few on different bikes but then went for the ultimate chain oiler, a shaft. I'm now a bit out of the loop, so what would you recommend? I'm not going to spend a fortune, so budget is definitely a consideration. I work from home now, so the bike's a luxury!

While I'm here, anyone tried Kenda KM1 ST tyres? Just curious. Thanks! 

I've fitted an oiler to most of my previous bikes. Scottoiler used to be my go to brand. But they've got really expensive.

Then I tried a cobrra oiler, very good but still around the £80 mark. Looking for a new oiler for my 9gt I found some cobbra rip offs in the £20 to £30 price bracket. I bought one and honestly can't tell the difference between the two. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. 

I made a longer mounting bracket and mounted it to the inside of the passenger foot peg hanger. Easy to route the supply hose from that position too. I use 80W/90 gear oil in it.

• Thumbsup 2

Did exactly the same as Johnjo - replaced my Scottoiler with the 'genuine' Cobrra and found it very good indeed.  So out of curiousity bought the knock off Cobrra for around 30 euro shipped.  Can't see any difference between them either and also use cheapo gear oil.

Aliexpress search on GIDIBII 

Edited by NikenLee
to add product link info
  • Thumbsup 2

Thanks, folks. I’m leaning towards one of those myself, I’ve had scottoilers and Tuturos, or however you spell it! Both were good, but both not cheap. I looked at the Motobriiz too, but I’m very dubious about the whole ‘wind-powered’ aspect. 

I think I shall be on eBay or Ali express this afternoon looking for a ‘cobra’ oiler. 

• Thumbsup 2

I considered another Scotoiler for my FJ09 but learned about DuPont Chain Saver Wax Based Lubricant and found that so easy and quick I did not install the oiler 

I can clean AND lube in under 2 minutes but do have a 18x6 piece of dirty cardboard to deal with that drips off the chain I clean every 300 or so miles. Does not fling nor attract dirt, repels water. Love it.

not trying to start a chain lube war just my experience 

YMMV

45 minutes ago, thanks4thefish said:

I considered another Scotoiler for my FJ09 but learned about DuPont Chain Saver Wax Based Lubricant and found that so easy and quick I did not install the oiler 

I can clean AND lube in under 2 minutes but do have a 18x6 piece of dirty cardboard to deal with that drips off the chain I clean every 300 or so miles. Does not fling nor attract dirt, repels water. Love it.

not trying to start a chain lube war just my experience 

YMMV

Not available in the UK, unfortunately. There are other wax based lubricants, though. I may have a look at some of those, although a Chinese knock off cobra oiler is cheaper than any of the chain lubes on Amazon…

I have been using this now for at least 10K miles, have 16kish miles on original chain and sprockets and everything still looks very good. I apply to chain with a small sponge while turning the rear wheel on the centerstand, the entire process takes maybe 1 minute and with zero mess. Very little fling, self cleaning, and very rust and corrosion resistant, also appears to have good water shedding ability. I had a Tuturo on my last bike and they work quite well, however I find my application method and choice of lube to be very hands off and very effective. 

71nSNgdSAuL._SL1500_.jpg

I purchased a Tutoro unit in 2015 and used it on my V-Strom 650.  I removed it when I sold the bike and installed on my 2021 Tracer.  I am very happy with how it works.  The chain is always lubricated and easy to clean.

Tutoro 1.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a ScottOiler on my 2020 Tracer 900GT.  The standard version and it worked well enough.  I found that local riding needed it adjusted up more than when on a long trip will lots of time at speed (above 55 or 65 mph) versus the stop and go of more local rides.  I used both of the oil weights and found it good to switch to thicker in hot weather.  Kept my chain in great condition and chain wear was drastically reduced compared to OEM.  Most of the miles I put on the bike were on long trips.  Having the ScottOiler meant I didn't need to remember to lube the chain after a long day or riding.  Most of the time I left it adjusted for trips and when riding locally would just use chain wax.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a F900 XR, so I've joined the chain gang.  After looking at a lot of different oilers on the market, this is what I ended up buying.

GIDIBII Motorcycle Chain Lubricator Oiler Auto Hand Control Motorbike Oil Cup Part (Black)

image.png.0423cbb4754582d39b010758ffbf803f.png

It works on a very simple principle.  Fill the cup with your favorite oil.  Twist the cap a quarter turn every few hundred miles and your chain is oiled.  No vacuum hoses, electrical connections or wind to complicate the issue.

The jury is still out on how well it works, but so far I'm pleased.

Chris

2 hours ago, daboo said:

I just bought a F900 XR, so I've joined the chain gang.  After looking at a lot of different oilers on the market, this is what I ended up buying.

GIDIBII Motorcycle Chain Lubricator Oiler Auto Hand Control Motorbike Oil Cup Part (Black)

It works on a very simple principle.  Fill the cup with your favorite oil.  Twist the cap a quarter turn every few hundred miles and your chain is oiled.  No vacuum hoses, electrical connections or wind to complicate the issue.

Chris

Yeah, I’ve had one of those on my desk for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I can’t undo it to fit or fill it. I’m normally pretty good at opening stuff, and I’ve tried a range of chemical solutions, but no luck. It was apparently done up by the Chinese Tom Stoltman. A trip to the old man’s vice may be in order. 

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, daboo said:

Chris

+1 from me.  I've been running one of these since 2021 and find that it does the job admirably and for a reasonable/sensible price.  Not complicated at all and that's one of the good things about it.

A little tip for anyone thinking of getting one: - One small thing to remember is that when using one of these, the body of the oiler screws down along with the cap as one piece and serves to force the oil out through the line as required.  To re-fill, you must hold the body still in its lowest (empty) position while you unscrew the cap.

Then fill with oil to the top (counterintuitively while the body is in its lowest position), then unscrew the body a bit, fill some more, rinse and repeat until the body is fully extended to its stop at the top and now full of oil.  Then the cap screws back on - don't forget to hold the body again while tightening the cap or it will begin to push out the oil when you don't intend it too.

I mention this as I fell into the trap soon after installing until the penny dropped what was going on and why I had bugger all oil in the oiler even though I was filling it - or so I thought.

Maybe there is something to be said in reading the manual after all.  🤔

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mrtwisty said:

Yeah, I’ve had one of those on my desk for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I can’t undo it to fit or fill it. I’m normally pretty good at opening stuff, and I’ve tried a range of chemical solutions, but no luck. It was apparently done up by the Chinese Tom Stoltman. A trip to the old man’s vice may be in order. 

If you're married, hand it to your wife to undo.  :D

Chris