Chain Oilers

Mrtwisty

On 11/18/2023 at 5:59 PM, Mrtwisty said:

Yeah, I’ve had one of those on my desk for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I can’t undo it to fit or fill it. I’m normally pretty good at opening stuff, and I’ve tried a range of chemical solutions, but no luck. It was apparently done up by the Chinese Tom Stoltman. A trip to the old man’s vice may be in order. 

A vice may be a little extreme.  I'd try a strap wrench first.  Less likely to dent/scratch/crush it.

maxclaw-rubber-strap-wrench-set.jpg

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/18/2023 at 7:17 PM, dazzler24 said:

+1 from me.  I've been running one of these since 2021 and find that it does the job admirably and for a reasonable/sensible price.  Not complicated at all and that's one of the good things about it.

A little tip for anyone thinking of getting one: - One small thing to remember is that when using one of these, the body of the oiler screws down along with the cap as one piece and serves to force the oil out through the line as required.  To re-fill, you must hold the body still in its lowest (empty) position while you unscrew the cap.

Then fill with oil to the top (counterintuitively while the body is in its lowest position), then unscrew the body a bit, fill some more, rinse and repeat until the body is fully extended to its stop at the top and now full of oil.  Then the cap screws back on - don't forget to hold the body again while tightening the cap or it will begin to push out the oil when you don't intend it too.

I mention this as I fell into the trap soon after installing until the penny dropped what was going on and why I had bugger all oil in the oiler even though I was filling it - or so I thought.

Maybe there is something to be said in reading the manual after all.  🤔

Good video how-to filling this oiler.

Just got one but too late for this season.

https://www.amazon.com/GIDIBI-Motorcycle-Lubrication-Grease-Universal/dp/B07KK6DP5B/ref=pd_sbs_sccl_6_5/146-0294463-8111965?pd_rd_w=AWKDs&content-id=amzn1.sym.cd9455ba-de47-4388-abd2-446637a34f4d&pf_rd_p=cd9455ba-de47-4388-abd2-446637a34f4d&pf_rd_r=G3919SWJJA3BBTA1AMV9&pd_rd_wg=97QMO&pd_rd_r=87ebc98e-7158-4180-a92e-2f657b435802&pd_rd_i=B07KK6DP5B&th=1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yes that's the way it's done as a video description - even though the words on the screen at the beginning say -"First you must twist to the top.....".  However, and as can be seen, the body is screwed down to the bottom of its travel first thus exposing the inner oil reservoir.

Anyway, otherwise all good.  Hope you like your new oiler 2 and 3.  🙂

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Yes that's the way it's done as a video description - even though the words on the screen at the beginning say -"First you must twist to the top.....".  However, and as can be seen, the body is screwed down to the bottom of its travel first thus exposing the inner oil reservoir.

Anyway, otherwise all good.  Hope you like your new oiler 2 and 3.  🙂

One of the Amazon reviewers used an analogy of the oiler being equivalent to a syringe.  That it must be filled from the bottom up with no air trapped, otherwise it would leak out without being pressurized.

Is that entirely correct?

Yet in the video it didn't seem like it was filled to the very brim; and the is no "bleed off" port.

I guess I'll find out eventually. 😝

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

One of the Amazon reviewers used an analogy of the oiler being equivalent to a syringe.  That it must be filled from the bottom up with no air trapped, otherwise it would leak out without being pressurized.

Is that entirely correct?

Yet in the video it didn't seem like it was filled to the very brim; and the is no "bleed off" port.

I guess I'll find out eventually. 😝

I noticed in the video that it wasn't being filled to the top every time but that's not how I've done it since installing it a couple of years ago.

So, fill to the top every time and wind out to the point where the holes at the bottom aren't exposed to the air as the oil level drops as you wind - think bleeding your brakes and it's a doddle.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...