Leaking valve cover gasket

Anybody noticed this issue ? Mine leaks lightly on the right side of the engine after just 250 kms. Just a smear of oil around the front cam curve in the side of the motor.

Dealer told me they had a demo bike last week that had the same issue. Apparently, the gasket is back ordered at Yamaha since they have had too many orders...

Anybody noticed this issue ? Mine leaks lightly on the right side of the engine after just 250 kms. Just a smear of oil around the front cam curve in the side of the motor. 
Dealer told me they had a demo bike last week that had the same issue. Apparently, the gasket is back ordered at Yamaha since they have had too many orders...

Got any pics?

Interesting. Is it a "stain" of oil that hasn't gotten bigger, or is it a visible trace that is growing bigger and moving toward the rear of and/or down the engine? What happens if you wipe it with your finger, is it wet to the touch with oil?

-Skip

The first 300 kms, the right side of the engine had a good 5cm X 5cm stain of wet feeling oil. I completely cleaned it with brake cleaner and it appeared again after another 250 kms. I took it to the dealer and they cleaned the engine completely, did a (brief) test ride and didn't notice anything. I took it home from the dealer (about 40 kms) and the area surrounding the curve in the engine around the front cam had a light oil smear again.

This is very dissapointing. I bought a Japanese bike because I was tired of issues with Euro trash, but it seems quality has gone way down. Oh, and I also have the right side frame crack described in that other thread. It might not be a serious issue (we'll see how it ages), it's still is a flaw.

The first 300 kms, the right side of the engine had a good 5cm X 5cm stain of wet feeling oil. I completely cleaned it with brake cleaner and it appeared again after another 250 kms. I took it to the dealer and they cleaned the engine completely, did a (brief) test ride and didn't notice anything. I took it home from the dealer (about 40 kms) and the area surrounding the curve in the engine around the front cam had a light oil smear again. 
This is very dissapointing. I bought a Japanese bike because I was tired of issues with Euro trash, but it seems quality has gone way down. Oh, and I also have the right side frame crack described in that other thread. It might not be a serious issue (we'll see how it ages), it's still is a flaw.

The right side of your frame is not a crack just a forging mark that wasnt deburred all the way down.
I too have found the quality not up to par compared to my 2012 ZX6R.

• Premium Member
1200km on mine and the gasket and area are bone dry. Maybe not torqued right at factory?
Yeah, 1800 miles on mine. Dry too.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Yep my dealer told me they fixed a few. Some brand new! There is supposed to be some silicone but none was applied. Mine will be in the shop for a month. So they will check that also with my problem with the front master cylinder. They won't get a new till the end of the month. While waiting for the part they fixed the misaligned forks-handlebars i complainted about. Poorly made bike. I understand how Yamaha managed to propose the Fj at such a price. Poor me, i tought they cut down their profit margin.... I regret not buying a Versys 1000. I had a 650 prior to the Fj. No problems, well built. I have had many Yami products in the past and still do. I bought the Fj by phone without looking at it physically. When i received it i was a bit disappointed. Not what i was used to see for a Yamaha.

So the bike won't be broken in for my trip from Quebec, Canada to the Brp, Va. by the first week of june. Just have over 500km done. Will have to forget the trip... Told my boss i'll be at work. Cancelled the vacation... They picked it up on May the 2nd and have to wait for a month to get it back. I will lose to much if i sell it. Hope it is not a lemon...

I'm from Quebec too and strangely doing a trip to WV and the BRP next week. Waiting a month for a new bike is unnacceptable. You should demand they take their piece of crap back.

I'm not cancelling my vacation, no way. I'll ride it till it blows up and then will sue their asses.

Dude. It's not going to blow up due to a leaky valve cover gasket. Please. It's more of an annoyance than anything, which I understand.

Ride your bike. Worry about it if it worsens or when the parts arrive, whichever happens first.

Skip

My bike almost has no braking power in front. Been delivered like that. Why i waited over 500km to complain about? Because i have to do around 85km to go to work on a not so busy road. So plenty time to stop using the rear and engine brake. And this road practically does not have stop lights or signs. I went to work a few times with it. Kms add quite quickly. Problem still there. I had to convince the dealer to come pick it up for free. Wich they would not do at first. They said i had to pay a tow truck or put it in a trailer. I wrote to Yamaha and told them how many models i owned and still do (atv's, dirt bikes etc) so they can see how a Yamaha fan i am. Plus the Brp trip cancellation. No news yet.... sad.

Riding season here is quite short. Told that to!

My bike almost has no braking power in front. Been delivered like that. Why i waited over 500km to complain about? Because i have to do around 85km to go to work on a not so busy road. So plenty time to stop using the rear and engine brake. And this road practically does not have stop lights or signs. I went to work a few times with it. Kms add quite quickly. Problem still there. I had to convince the dealer to come pick it up for free. Wich they would not do at first. They said i had to pay a tow truck or put it in a trailer. I wrote to Yamaha and told them how many models i owned and still do (atv's, dirt bikes etc) so they can see how a Yamaha fan i am. Plus the Brp trip cancellation. No news yet.... sad. 

Keep us updated mine is the same way. I have to pull the front brake lever half way before I feel it starting to slow the bike down. It very soft.

Keep us updated mine is the same way. I have to pull the front brake lever half way before I feel it starting to slow the bike down. It very soft.

Mines the same
Was thinking it's down to lack of braided hoses ?

Was thinking it's down to lack of braided hoses ?
I doubt that it is the hoses. Most folks are not having this issue.  
These are ABS brakes. There is extra plumbing and an ABS controller in the hydraulics. Concept is the same as an ABS equipped car.

Sounds to me like the ABS system needs to be bleed as well as the lines, master and slave. 

With ABS switched off, bike should easily be able to do stoppies. If not, there is some issue. You may wish to take it to the dealer for warranty service.

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Archived