hard bag mount brackets- REALLY?

Guest spunrdneck

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm not surprised they're so heavy, they have to be quite stiff and that's a bit of a lever arm. Even so they could have done that with aluminum and saved ~2/3 of the weight, I think; it's not like they are in any way a low-margin product. I didn't realize that they were so large, I thought they mounted entirely on the end of the passenger peg. That's a lot more firmly mounted.

(Aside: I wonder if there would be a market for aluminum brackets, especially aluminum brackets that would ship in less than three months. :-/ CNC them and hog out a lot of the material behind the passenger peg.)

I'm surprised you haven't received your locks yet. I got those within a week. It took almost nine weeks to get the luggage (which I just picked up on Tuesday). I'm still waiting on the brackets. They most recently claimed that they'd ship on July 6, ordered on April 1. Whether or not they actually will this time is anyone's guess, the backorder dates appear to be complete fantasy.

At this point Yamaha is claiming the heated grips will ship before the brackets, a switch from previous. Maybe that means they're actually catching up on those?

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest spunrdneck
Holly crap batman thats heavy. I am still waiting for mine to come in from yammy so I ordered a second aftermarket set from france. I will compare the two an see which one works better. Who did you order yours from?
got 'em from Yamaha, ordered when I bought the FJ 

Guest spunrdneck
So where's the cross-member piece they speak of?
it's on the scale in that pic, just not really visible- very bottom of pic between the brackets. 

Guest spunrdneck
so I fabbed up the brackets out of some flat stock I had that is the same size as the part where the rubber piece mounts, fitted them and went for a quick ride with my buddy watching for excessive movement. I threw a bunch of stuff in the bags to be sure I had some weight in there. he says they flex/ wobble a slight bit over big bumps but so do his on a trump 1050. I am going to go with it since I will not likely ever have as much weight in them as what I stuffed in there for the test ride. these will be easily removed/ installed as well, since I don't need them all the time! I hated the thought of those "bridge abutment" sized pieces being there permanently! I will have them powder coated at a buddies shop tomorrow and post up finished pics- here are some fab shots until then.
2B4DD1B5-97C6-4427-B485-853950B8C4F6.jpg
AF225C39-B6EC-46BF-AA8F-C42B411FF180.jpg
B699B55B-9EFE-4245-9FB5-AB2DADD13EF5.jpg
25F79119-1667-4CEC-8D22-19365B762B1E.jpg

Wow... 8lbs.

Mine were installed by the dealer before I took the dealer, so I didn't get to feel how heavy they are... I thought they were a little over built, but jeez...

Oh, well. The bike's light enough that I'm not overly concerned, as long as they work.

On another note, the Duc ST4S I used to own had a permanent wobbly bag on one side.  Never caused an issue, other than folks telling me at stops that one of my bags was loose.

Guest spunrdneck
I'll take it as a good sign that you got your bracket. Maybe I'll get mine soon!!!
came in to san jose on Tuesday the 2nd... hopefully there is a bunch about to be delivered to those who ordered! 

Guest spunrdneck
Holy cow... oh well, I guess I can make back the weight difference when I buy the akro titanium exhaust next year...
true, I think that would be a wash! with the performance gain it's definitely a win! 

Archived