Seat pads?

Before spending big $ on a seat that may not do the trick, I'm going to try gel and/or air seat pads first for longer rides.  Based on the lack of postings on them, my impression is that they don't seem to be a popular approach.  Anyone have any experience with them, and which one best fit the FJ-09?  I'll share my experiences, I've ordered a Saddleman gel pad to try first.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I tried the Bead Rider, beaded seat cover and slipped and slid all over the place! Not a good feeling when zipping thru the twistes! Don't waste your money on the Seat Concepts either. I took it off and put the stock seat back on. Good luck!

The Airhawk would probably be the least tall of all possible pad options. You need very little air to get the most benefit. The seat's shape itself is part of the problem as it is a bit crowned and forces the hips apart unlike seats with more of a dish. the air hawk helps a bit but the crown issue is still there. 
After 200 miles on the stock seat, 2000 miles on the Airhawk, I just ordered a Corbin. We shall see...

I ordered and tried a Saddleman gel pad on my 4th of July holiday ride.  It was hard to keep it in position getting on and off, and it felt like sitting on jello. Couldn't tell it was helping with butt burn, and on the second day I took it off and it felt good not to have to think about it.  I wore padded bicycle pants under my leathers and those seemed to help.

I just did a 1200 mile trip a few weekends ago. I have a Seat Concepts seat and a AirHawk pad. After a few hours I found that it was more comfortable without the AirHawk, which was giving me 'schweddy balls' (in triple digit weather), and ended up taking it off for the rest of the trip.

I have a Corbin seat on my Triumph Sprint, but it has very little padding and I won't ride longer than an hour on that bike without the AirHawk.

I find that the Seat Concepts foam is quite firm, and it doesn't feel very soft or forgiving at first, but it really shines after you've spent a couple hours on it.

The AirHawk is nice as well, but you feel disconnected from the bike when you ride aggressively and your butt kind of shifts around in the twisties. It takes very little air, so even though it's 1-2 inches thick you are really only 1/4-1/2" off of your seat.

• Premium Member
a mate swears by this bean bag http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251959793541

I bought one on his recommendation but have not been convinced that it is effective. I might give it another go now I have the seat raised to the high position. Cheap to try before more costly solutions.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I tried the Saddleman gel pad. I did not find it more comfortable and took it off.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

We have this seat called the Amphibious Soft Seat, which basically lets you let out air through the air-release valve to form fit to your butt. We've tested it here on our Honda NC700X, Yamaha Super Tenere, and BMW S1000R. All in all, I'd say it definitely makes the ride more comfortable, and have even used it at some of those Progressive International Motorcycle Shows to help deal with a numb butt. Air can be let back into the cushion to give a more cushion-y feel if desired.

A tad pricey at $79.95-$89.95, but you get what you pay for. It's a universal fit cushion, has a non-grip surface on the bottom and a suede finish on top.

This is one on the Tenere:
7yybMvA.jpg

That price is pretty good for the Amphibious Softseat, except for that darn exchange rate to Canada, plus the shipping costs.
I wish I would have known about this as I need one for my wife for the pillion seat...but we are leaving on the weekend.

Archived