Fuel economy in B mode...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
If riding - for whatever reasons - in B (soft) mode 100% of the time, would there be any impact on fuel economy?
Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 3138km – Grip Puppies; Stebel Magnum audible warning device; Skene P3 rear lights set; Knuckleguard LEDs; Seat Concepts seat.[/em]

Why do people who buy motorcycles even think about gas mileage? They almost always get much better than a car.
They are meant to be enjoyed and thrill in the exhilaration they give you. They aren't about the destination but the journey.
If you worry about the mileage you are missing the whole point. Just get out there and ride!!!

• Premium Member
My smiles per gallon go way down in B mode. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif

I have spent a total of 30 seconds in B mode. I just don't like the throttle lag unless it is raining, and it doesn't do that much here unfortunately.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest dmizer
Why do people who buy motorcycles even think about gas mileage? They almost always get much better than a car. They are meant to be enjoyed and thrill in the exhilaration they give you. They aren't about the destination but the journey.
If you worry about the mileage you are missing the whole point. Just get out there and ride!!!

There are a number of good reasons for tracking fuel efficiency, not the least of which is that a drop in fuel efficiency can mean a problem with the bike that needs to be addressed.

Also, a bike is more than just a fun toy. It's transportation. It's really great fun transportation, but it is transportation. I have no car and rely on it for commuting. Sometimes it's about the ride, but sometimes it is about the destination.

Same here, my FJ is a commuter bike 5 days a week. Fuel economy is important, but having all the right touches is just as important. My recent 1800 mile, 3 day trip yield on average 55 mpg running mostly STD and A-Mode. Yet when commuting 16 miles each way during the week I get only 45 mpg. Engine needs to be warmed up and run at a steady pace for more than 20 minutes to get the optimal fuel mileage, but that is true for all motorcycles.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Why do people who buy motorcycles even think about gas mileage? They almost always get much better than a car. They are meant to be enjoyed and thrill in the exhilaration they give you. They aren't about the destination but the journey.

What is this rant about? The question was simply asked as a matter of interest. Who said anything about worrying...? Next time, please read the question before attempting an answer!!
L of S

Don't care about MPG when riding so any difference between modes will not be noted. Looking at the fuel meter too much while riding might send you over the car that stopped in front of you.

New FZ-1's are getting 25-28 MPG, this is a great topic for them. I get 47 riding like a hooligan.

Guest dmizer
Looking at the fuel meter too much while riding might send you over the car that stopped in front of you.
I rarely look at the fuel meter, yet I keep track of the fuel efficiency of every tank I put in the bike. Fuel efficiency is calculated at the pump when you fill up, not while you ride.

• Premium Member
I have been using an iPhone app called "Gas Cubby" for tracking fuel economy. It makes it pretty easy. A Google "Sheets" spreadsheet could probably do the job too, and would allow you to do whatever sorts of graphing/analysis you want.

Does anyone have a favorite way of tracking fill-ups, service, tire pressure checks, and the like?

• 2 weeks later...
Fuelly is the most popular app afaik. Any thoughts on why B would give less MPG? I ride in B 100% of the time bc the bike has more power than I really need and I commute 90% of the time. I'll start running a few tanks through on STD and see what I get.

I just leave the bike in STD and manage about 45mpg through winding hills and city streets. I too ride mine 5 days a week, so fuel mileage does come into play. I generally find myself fueling up around the 120-130 mile mark, and putting just a tad over 3 gallons back in.

Archived