2021+ , wire cornering lights to always on?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

Wondering why the cornering lights can’t just always be on. Why only in corners?

Because then Yamaha would have to change their name from 'cornering' lights to 'always on' lights...  😄

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I disagree that it would improve visibility. I'd argue the opposite in fact: they're high-up vertically and are designed to illuminate outwards on both sides of the bike; they don't illuminate the road in front of you and you'd just blind oncoming drivers if they were always on.

For reference, in the service manual the cornering light is the beam circled here:

image.png.35ec4ce2cfe5f33269db9260d0ad5d44.png

Point f is your center reference point/line. Line e is your low beam, line is the inner line you line up your cornering beam to according to the manual. Hopefully you see how having your cornering lights on all the time would be a serious problem. However, adjustment is vertical; maybe you could bring the cornering light down closer to line f and possibly not blind everyone, but I haven't actually tried myself to find the maximum adjustment on the cornering lights.

If you find the factory single bulb lacking (which I did) adjust the beam upwards using the adjuster. I believe I have mine up 4-turns from how it came from the dealer and it's a significant improvement without blinding oncoming traffic.

If you're absolutely dead set on trying to always have your cornering lights on. It looks like you could just disconnect Cornering Light Control Unit (CLCU) coupler, find the power/main line and splice that into the Headlight Assembly Coupler's main line.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jthayer09 said:

I disagree that it would improve visibility. I'd argue the opposite in fact: they're high-up vertically and are designed to illuminate outwards on both sides of the bike; they don't illuminate the road in front of you and you'd just blind oncoming drivers if they were always on.

For reference, in the service manual the cornering light is the beam circled here:

image.png.35ec4ce2cfe5f33269db9260d0ad5d44.png

Point f is your center reference point/line. Line e is your low beam, line is the inner line you line up your cornering beam to according to the manual. Hopefully you see how having your cornering lights on all the time would be a serious problem. However, adjustment is vertical; maybe you could bring the cornering light down closer to line f and possibly not blind everyone, but I haven't actually tried myself to find the maximum adjustment on the cornering lights.

If you find the factory single bulb lacking (which I did) adjust the beam upwards using the adjuster. I believe I have mine up 4-turns from how it came from the dealer and it's a significant improvement without blinding oncoming traffic.

If you're absolutely dead set on trying to always have your cornering lights on. It looks like you could just disconnect Cornering Light Control Unit (CLCU) coupler, find the power/main line and splice that into the Headlight Assembly Coupler's main line.

Great info thank you. 
I need to get a service manual 😁

• Supporting Member

Instead of altering the bikes wiring or factory lighting you could always add accessory lighting.  Depending if you need to be more visible during the day or see further at night, you could add various types of lighting.

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Instead of altering the bikes wiring or factory lighting you could always add accessory lighting.  Depending if you need to be more visible during the day or see further at night, you could add various types of lighting.

Yes but if the lights are already there, may as well use them, was my thinking.

Jthayer provided info as to why my idea is not really usable, especially regarding possibly blinding oncoming traffic when they get near the bike’s front.

would be nice to be able to at least use them as additional visibility to other vehicles, especially since they’d look great lit.

And, after watching frontal vids of the cornering lights in action, there’s a lot of on/off and flickering. Combined with the single one-side low beam, the front of this bike must look like a major electronic malfunction mess to other traffic. If I’m on a winding road behind a car, they might think I’m constantly flashing them.

But, looks like altering is not worth the side effects. 

Edited by T9 Jeffrey

And, after watching frontal vids of the cornering lights in action, there’s a lot of on/off and flickering. Combined with the single one-side low beam, the front of this bike must look like a major electronic malfunction mess to other traffic. If I’m on a winding road behind a car, they might think I’m constantly flashing them.”

Yeah but then they’ll get the hell out of your way. 
-Skip

Edited by skipperT

• Supporting Member

I would add auxiliary lights regardless, about a year ago I almost pulled out from a side street into an oncoming Tracer9,  IMO the single light is too small, I didn't notice the bike with the small light, black front end and rider in black riding gear, similar to this photo.  I don't like the trend of manufacturers making headlights smaller and smaller.

2022-Yamaha-Tracer-9-GT-left-side.thumb.jpg.9572faa507dd33e9d44a9d16b1e1d538.jpg

Personally, I ride with the high beam on (aimed down) have additional LED lighting on the front, use hyper bright LED running light/turn signals, reflective rim stripes on the wheels, brake light strobe and wear a white helmet and a multi-colored black, white and red jacket, anything to be more visible.

• Thumbsup 1

What the hell are Cornering lights? On my 2016 FJ09 I replaced my rear turn signals with front turn/running lights. The fronts are both running and turn signals. Now the rear does the same thing. Easy to do. Just run a jumper from the running light wires to the license plate light (always on with ignition).  Technically per DOT rules you cannot have amber lights on the rear of the vehicle. But I've never been stopped and cited for this and I have done this on every bike I've owned since 1979.  Additionally I fully agree that every bike needs three lights on in the front. I have a set of 10w LED's as DRL's in addition to Denalis for night use as well as retroreflective panels all over the bike. Front sides and rear. I would not recommend running your high beams on all the time as you piss off everyone, it is illegal in town and it is harder to get someones attention by what dimming your lights?  Conspicuity is the name of the game. See and BE SEEN!

Edited by 2linby
add more info

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, 2linby said:

What the hell are Cornering lights?

They offer additional illumination on the inside corner, triggered by the IMU when a specific lean angle is reached.

From Yamaha - "Lighting is a full LED system, and Yamaha’s sophisticated cornering lights are standard equipment on the Tracer 9 GT+. When lean angle exceeds seven degrees, the cornering lights automatically illuminate the inside of the turn—whether low or high beam is being used—giving a larger illuminated area of road."