SHAD SH38X Expanding Side Cases

• Supporting Member

I noticed the SHAD SH36 side cases were in short supply. I guess they are making room for the new SHAD SH38X side cases due out in April.

I have the SH58X top case and love its expanding feature. Would like to add the SH38X side cases but the initial cost is outrageous to start. Luckily they work with the 3P mounting system used for the (SH23?), SH35 and SH36 side cases, so they may be an option down the road.

They also work with the 4P mounting system for off-roading.

The SH38X side cases are approx 50W x 39H x 27-34mm Deep, whereas the SH36 are approx 50 x 38 x 33 mm.

See videos at bottom of link page...

Shad 38X Expandable Side Cases

SHAD SH58X Top Case

• Thumbsup 2

That's a very cool Idea. I wonder how water resistant they are. If riding in a driving rain at higher speeds, will water work its way in? I wouldn't expect them to hold water out if submerged, but I would hope they could keep stuff dry in a day riding around the PNW. 

The videos sound like AI generated press copy. There were a lot of statements in there that just didn't quite make sense. It was like they wanted to throw in fancy words just to sound cool, and didn't use them correctly.

• Premium Member

I have the SH46 and 29 Shad top cases and the SH36 paniers.

They're pretty bulletproof and water tight but more than anything else they're light.

I don't understand these guys who have these aluminum top cases in side cases. First of all , usually they're like a barn door aerodynamically , but they're friggin heavy as hell

I rented FJ09 in San Diego and it had these aluminum units that just carrying them empty hurt my arm. The top case was so heavy and it wasn't that big, allmost lifted the front wheel off the ground when it was on the center stand, empty!

No I bought my SH46 probably 12+ years ago, which fits on multiple bikes it was under $130.

Then when I got the FJ I got the SH36 in 2016, and with the mounts for the top case and paniers it was under $650.

I've since got the SH29 because the 46 seemed out of proportion for what I needed in it. It was $100 Shipped from Revzilla. 

On sale now at Shad 🇺🇸 Screenshot_20240229_233156_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.85d1ea9551b3788bc4a3c4c05aca3e7e.jpg

• Supporting Member

SH38X looks very nice. The only issue is weight IMO... same whether collapsed (~27L) or expanded to 38L. 40% volume increase when expanded according to website. My everyday SH23 cases are very light in comparison to my SH36 touring cases. I imagine the SH38X is heavier than SH36... but I suppose there's convenience in only having one set of cases. 👍

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif